What engine oil

earley231186

If you are not running near to the 20k/2year interval, Mobil 3000 seems to be an often used and reasonably priced but still quality option.  Bear in mind the spec for Mobil 1 is for long drain intervals, high mileage or both, so unless you are exploiting one of both of these features you are arguably pouring money away every time if you are only doing say 4k miles between drains and doing it annually.  Any oil with Porsche A40 in the spec will be sufficient, because that says it has been tested to and meets or exceeds that standard.

• Like 2

Yearly changes and although I've done 5k this year. When my daily arrives after all the delays. It's probably going to be under 3k a year with new oil every year. 

I seen recently some one recommending a thicker oil for older cars, but I can't remember where I seen it. 

8 hours ago, earley231186 said:

Yearly changes and although I've done 5k this year. When my daily arrives after all the delays. It's probably going to be under 3k a year with new oil every year. 

I seen recently some one recommending a thicker oil for older cars, but I can't remember where I seen it. 

@the baron which grade of Mobil 3000 do you run?

Steve has 210k+ on his 986 and changes annually on about 3k a year mileage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete Collins said:

S

I didn't know that they made the Boxster 70 years ago ???

Ha Ha.

Current annual mileage.  Used to be his daily from new then he sold and bought it back about 7 years later and has had it ever since.

I use Fuchs supersyn 5 -30 it's Porsche rated , 2x5 litres from larkspeed  off eBay is £47 , I change my oil anually and probably only do around 2k per year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philc said:

Millers xf premium 5W 40 is what my indy uses.

currently £26 for 5ltr at demon tweeks

That's interesting, Millers did not used to have A40 but I see they do now for 0W40 and 5W40 XF Premium.

7 hours ago, S2sam said:

I use Fuchs supersyn 5 -30 it's Porsche rated , 2x5 litres from larkspeed  off eBay is £47 , I change my oil anually and probably only do around 2k per year 

Should read * 5w-40

I use Fuchs TITAN SUPERSYN 5W-40 fully synthetic on my 100k mile 987.  Someone wiser than me told me it was the thing to use - I forget who / when.  The oil is good value though - I paid £36 for 5+1l last time round.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:00 AM, ½cwt said:

@the baron which grade of Mobil 3000 do you run?

Steve has 210k+ on his 986 and changes annually on about 3k a year mileage.

Mobil  Super 3000 X1 Engine Oil - 5W-40 - 5ltr Eurocarparts usually do good deals

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, the baron said:

Mobil  Super 3000 X1 Engine Oil - 5W-40 - 5ltr Eurocarparts usually do good deals

Carparts4less are always cheaper than Eurocarparts. Same company, off the same shelf, usually arrives to your door within 24 hrs in an ECP van.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Codfanglers said:

Carparts4less are always cheaper than Eurocarparts. Same company, off the same shelf, usually arrives to your door within 24 hrs in an ECP van.  

Agree, I use this method regularly now.  Free delivery (orders over £30) to you door next day (one was same day) with the CP4L lower price particularly if you check whether there is stock in the local branch.  Works for me!

43 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Planning to do this myself. Picked up 8 litres of Mobil 3000 5w40 from Amazon for just under £56 amd a Mahle Knecht fikter from ECP for £11.49.

Make sure you replace the sump washer too