What did you do about the stereo?

G6JOJ

What have you done about Bluetooth music?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What have you done about Bluetooth music?

• Nothing, stock CDR23
    • Nothing, stock PCM
    • Bluetooth FM Transmitter
    • Bluetooth Mod (Mr12Volt or similar)
    • Aftermarket Single Din
    • Aftermarket Double Din
    • PCCM+

Loving my new 986 S so far but wondering what people are doing about music? 

I have the PCM 2.0(?) unit which I quite like the look of in the car and have added an FM Bluetooth transmitter but not enjoying the regular interference. 

Trying to decide how to proceed before a big road trip in August. 

I have the sat nav double dim stock unit, also tried a Bluetooth FM Transmitter which was total cr*p. The bose speakers are low impedance and MOST fibre connections on the unit/amp basically mean I'd have to change everything. Even changing everything I'd probably get errors when the PCM can't talk to the new head unit. Besides the car has a rather nice note coming from just behind the seats. 

Many years ago I fitted a Becker Indianoplis as wanted to maintain the same 'orange' lights as the original head unit, and more recently when resurrecting the car, fitted an amazon alexa auto to get bluetooth capability plus voice control - all works very well and very pleased with the set up. 

My unit stopped working approximately 2 years ago and I haven’t replaced it. 

I enjoy listening to the engine when the hood is up (rarely is though ) and the radio is useless when the hood is down .

My favourite frequency is 98.6…. There is always a great tune called 3.2 litres of Flat 6 by a band called Porsche. 

Grab a listen….. it’s addictive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the input everyone. I was hoping to keep it as stock looking as possible so not sure about the aftermarket options. FM transmitter seems to be performing a bit better now after some experimentation with frequencies so I might stick with that for a while. 

I can’t help but be tempted by the PCCM+ unit but it does seem slightly moronic to spend 20% of the cars value on a head unit!

I second the VDO/Continental suggestion (if you're going single DIN). I did it to my car, it looks great, I have bluetooth and DAB and I just use my phone on a separate magnetic mount if I need maps. I'd be looking into the PCCM solution if I wanted double DIN. It is expensive, but if, like me, you intend to keep the car indefinitely, the current value of the car does not come into the equation. Think of it as an avionics upgrade on a 3rd gen fighter jet. All that said, I am sure there are other double DIN head units, like the Pioneer one, that do everything PCCM does, for less. 

17 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Yawn yawn yawn, only sound you need is the engine blah blah blah.

What about people who daily the car? Hard to enjoy an engine note in city traffic every day.

Double din for me, Spotify changed my daily drive no end.

This ☝️

Had a double din/Apple CarPlay in mine and it transformed the car as a 12k+/year daily driver.

Latest interface, choice of proper navigation with traffic data and camera warnings, super simple phone use and better sound quality.

If I wanted to hear the car then all I had to do was turn off the headunit.

2 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

I second the VDO/Continental suggestion (if you're going single DIN). I did it to my car, it looks great, I have bluetooth and DAB and I just use my phone on a separate magnetic mount if I need maps. I'd be looking into the PCCM solution if I wanted double DIN. It is expensive, but if, like me, you intend to keep the car indefinitely, the current value of the car does not come into the equation. Think of it as an avionics upgrade on a 3rd gen fighter jet. All that said, I am sure there are other double DIN head units, like the Pioneer one, that do everything PCCM does, for less. 

The continental ones do look the business. 

I have PCM currently. Has anyone heard of anyone going from PCM to single? I thought I had read that the connections for the PCM don’t play nice with a standard head unit but I can’t find it now. This route would also give me the option to do the console delete 

20 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Yawn yawn yawn, only sound you need is the engine blah blah blah.

What about people who daily the car? Hard to enjoy an engine note in city traffic every day.

Maybe you are doing it wrong and just need educated,,,,,,,