987.1 S - Suspension

Tzymo

Evening,

had the car in at Nelson Porsche for a once over following buying it. Few minor bits found, nothing major. 

Front struts need replacing due to rust at the top. Obviously going to get it sorted, but bearing in mind they’re all original as far as I know, the question is how far down the rabbit hole do I start going with suspension components as it appears to get expensive quickly.  Looked all over and can’t seem to work out what parts I’d need to replace to refresh while I’m at it.

Track rod ends and inner tie rods have movement so are being replaced as part of the work. There is bobbling noise from the rear at slow speed uneven surfaces so I suspect the tuning forks at the back need doing, possibly top mounts. 

So what’s the best option? Replace the lot? Coffin arms, tuning forks bump stops, shocks ;droplinks etc etc; or replace the bits that need it? I’m fairly handy on the spanner’s so after this initial bit I should be able to do some of the other work myself! 
Is there a decent workshop manual anywhere available for the 987s? 
I just don’t want to go off the deep end if it’s not really necessary! 

Shock wise the basic consensus seems to be to use Bilsteins ; but is it worth the upgrade to go from B4 or B6s? Worth the difference? 

Any advice gratefully received! 

cheers

Graham

45 minutes ago, Tzymo said:

Evening,

had the car in at Nelson Porsche for a once over following buying it. Few minor bits found, nothing major. 

Front struts need replacing due to rust at the top. Obviously going to get it sorted, but bearing in mind they’re all original as far as I know, the question is how far down the rabbit hole do I start going with suspension components as it appears to get expensive quickly.  Looked all over and can’t seem to work out what parts I’d need to replace to refresh while I’m at it.

Track rod ends and inner tie rods have movement so are being replaced as part of the work. There is bobbling noise from the rear at slow speed uneven surfaces so I suspect the tuning forks at the back need doing, possibly top mounts. 

So what’s the best option? Replace the lot? Coffin arms, tuning forks bump stops, shocks ;droplinks etc etc; or replace the bits that need it? I’m fairly handy on the spanner’s so after this initial bit I should be able to do some of the other work myself! 
Is there a decent workshop manual anywhere available for the 987s? 
I just don’t want to go off the deep end if it’s not really necessary! 

Shock wise the basic consensus seems to be to use Bilsteins ; but is it worth the upgrade to go from B4 or B6s? Worth the difference? 

Any advice gratefully received! 

cheers

Graham

986 and 987 are much the same and there are plenty of suspension write ups on those. @bally4563 I think has done pne on his 987. If you get onto doing it all, my 986 cost about £1400 in parts to do everything except rear springs, so shocks, all coffin arms, toe links, top mounts, bump stops, drop links. I did all the work myself except alignment.

On 7/10/2022 at 3:49 PM, JonSta said:

Start with the cheap bits and keep going until you're happy with it....Cheapest bit is the drop links. Which is often also the most problematic. Brush up on your cuss words if they're siezed. That said I've done 6 and they've all come of easy as pie. 

You lucky lucky bastard! I’ve probably done 30 or more and I’m struggling the exact number that came out without a fight, I thinks it’s six!!

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2022 at 10:18 PM, bally4563 said:

Nah!! It’s all part of the testing ground, that’s just letting you in, when you have tackled every obstacle, you will be ready to walk on rice paper!!

Do you have to carry the hot engine block between your forearms when you are ready to leave the temple and end up with E H C S R O P burned into your skin. ? 

Edited by Paul P

8 hours ago, Paul P said:

Do you have to carry the hot engine block between your forearms when you are ready to leave the temple and end up with E H C S R O P burned into your skin. ? 

To achieve true enlightenment it must spell D N A N I D R E F