Squeaky brakes

Medic-one

I noticed it after some spirited driving in the Alps last months, but went for a little drive yesterday and after a while there is a little bit of a squeek again coming of my brakes, but only like at the very last bit of braking, just before coming to a halt. 

Can hot weather do that, or could it be something else ?  I've had a look at my brake pads and they all seem to look ok

20220802-160649.jpg 

20220802-160659.jpg 

20220802-160715.jpg

20220802-160806.jpg

20220802-160823.jpg

Only seems to happen after a little while of driving. Popped to the shops and petrol station this morning and no squeek at all. 

I had a similar problem. Low mileage 987 with the original pads and disks were great. Then I needed to replace the disks due to rusting. So I decided to replace both pads and disks with Pagid products. Immediately I had break squeal. Tried running them for around 500 miles and couldn’t stand it, so then swapped the pads back to originals as they had plenty of wear. Problem was solved. 
now the pads are worn, so I put the pagids in again and the squeal was back!  Crappy pads in my guess. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like you have the shims in place so that rules that out. Pads are getting quite worn and have you checked the inside faces of the discs?

To be honest I wouldn't really know what I'm looking for... 

Would you say these pads look worn? I thought they look relatively alright but I guess I don't know how thick they were to begin with. 

Not the pads, the inner faces of the discs. They are notorious for being smooth silver on the outside and patchy lumpy on the inside. Quick check with a hand mirror should show it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Not the pads, the inner faces of the discs. They are notorious for being smooth silver on the outside and patchy lumpy on the inside. Quick check with a hand mirror should show it. 

Cheers, will give that a try this weekend.

common problem on 987.2. I get it from time to time and it was prevalent in Wales with spirited driving. 

Asked a couple of respected independants and they suggested pads are the cause. 

It's not been a big enough issue for me to swap them prematurely 

Edited by Pinewood
  • Thanks 1