Which brake discs?

Adrian Reeve

So my front discs (2.7, 2005) are getting close to their wear limit. It seems that there are several options open to me, OEM, Pagid, Brembo, MTech etc., and at a variety of price points. What would people recommend please? Will obviously be doing pads at the same time. Car will not be tracked, just road use.

Thanks

Brembo are OE (and their new PVT disc for teh 987/996 and 987/997 is no longer handed so don't be surprised by that.  Wait for good prices on Car Parts 4 Less or Autodoc.  Autodoc can take 7-8 days to deliver from Germany  (billed in £ and no duty to pay) but food for when you are planning work.  

Had pagid discs with textar pads on the rear of my previous .2 - seemed fine, current car is OE all round - both setups seem quite "dusty" but not terrible. I seem to remember that original disks and brembos come with painted "hats" ( the cone part of the discs ) - where some others are not painted, doesn't seem to affect function in any way  but stays looking nicer longer.

• Like 1

As I see it, discs are discs and the Brembo discs and pads I took off were rotten or like ploughed fields on the back, rusty on the hubs and in the vents etc and felt like rough wood to use. 

I fitted Delphi drilled discs on the rear and Comline drilled/handed on the front. Both 'coated' and have retained their silver coating to the hubs, internals and have a nice smooth braked surface. Textar pads front and back and brakes feel great. 

Total cost for all four corners discs and pads was a shade over £200 so could probably replace them at least twice over and some compared to fitting Brembo.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Brembo are OE (and their new PVT disc for teh 987/996 and 987/997 is no longer handed so don't be surprised by that.  Wait for good prices on Car Parts 4 Less or Autodoc.  Autodoc can take 7-8 days to deliver from Germany  (billed in £ and no duty to pay) but food for when you are planning work.  

Used Autodoc a few times with no issues other than the extended delivery time that you need to factor in. Prices were good