Drop links price from Indy

And.rs1800

I’m in the process of fitting my new droplinks myself,but went over a recent quote to check the price of some other work I need doing-I was quoted circa £280 for four droplinks-that’s for parts,not labour.I’m assuming plus VAT aswell.

Doesn’t say on the quote,but they must be some very special droplinks!!

You can get TRW one from Autodoc for around £25 to £30 depending on their discount offer that day.  I believe TRW are the OE supplier. I they are around £70 from Porsche, so £280 is about right for the same TRW ones but in a Porsche box or bag...

Bear in mind my recent experience, less than 9k miles and 2 years for a more generic aftermarket brand on Autodoc where I may have saved £4 -£7 each vs TRW.

• Thanks 1

I've just purchased a set of fronts and a track rod end from Design911 for a very reasonable price, especially compared to Porsche.

Excellent quality and fitted by the excellent mechanic i've used for nearly 30 years on all sorts of cars...fitted for £40 as i was his " apprentice " for the 90 minutes or so and there was absolutely no way i could've done it on my drive / garage.

Best of luck with the fitting.

Si.

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You can get TRW one from Autodoc for around £25 to £30 depending on their discount offer that day.  I believe TRW are the OE supplier. I they are around £70 from Porsche, so £280 is about right for the same TRW ones but in a Porsche box or bag...

Bear in mind my recent experience, less than 9k miles and 2 years for a more generic aftermarket brand on Autodoc where I may have saved £4 -£7 each vs TRW.

I got mine  from autodoc-great value

Edited by And.rs1800

19 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

I've just purchased a set of fronts and a track rod end from Design911 for a very reasonable price, especially compared to Porsche.

Excellent quality and fitted by the excellent mechanic i've used for nearly 30 years on all sorts of cars...fitted for £40 as i was his " apprentice " for the 90 minutes or so and there was absolutely no way i could've done it on my drive / garage.

Best of luck with the fitting.

Si.

I’ve done the rears-fronts this weekend 

heat,a big hammer some large stillsons and an impact gun!!

I got my second rear one out in another 20 mins even though it was seized solid.first one took an hour or more -lots of swearing!!

1 hour ago, And.rs1800 said:

I’ve done the rears-fronts this weekend 

heat,a big hammer some large stillsons and an impact gun!!

I got my second rear one out in another 20 mins even though it was seized solid.first one took an hour or more -lots of swearing!!

Familiar pattern! First one is the hardest.

2 hours ago, bally4563 said:

🤞

Yesterday’s effort got it out very quickly-heat and big stillsons to start turning it-then whack the impact gun on-then they just tap out!!

Unfortunately the the track rod end undone half way,then seized-had to cut the nut off!

I was thinking about replacing the inner and outer track rod joints anyway as there was some play-so all getting done now!

also front disks are shot to bits on inside-really really bad!!

53 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Fair play talking your own car , they can be supposedly very straightforward, I’ve done quite a few suspension refurbs on my own and other peeps , but Christ  !! When they bite it can be a nightmare!

I’ve decided the only way to keep the costs “sensible “(yeah right!) to a certain degree is to do as much as I can myself.I have a pretty decent set of tools,it’s just the time that is the main issue.hopefully once I get the mot done I can just enjoy the bloody car for a bit!!

53 minutes ago, And.rs1800 said:

I’ve decided the only way to keep the costs “sensible “(yeah right!) to a certain degree is to do as much as I can myself.I have a pretty decent set of tools,it’s just the time that is the main issue.hopefully once I get the mot done I can just enjoy the bloody car for a bit!!

Exactly the route I took and the intention I had when I bought the car, just wasn't quite reconning on a full suspension refurb, but it is bloody satisfying when you ahve done it yourself a) to know you can, and b) to know all the money you didn't pay someone else to do it and would have made the work, and therefore the car, unaffordable.

Keep the faith and keep chipping away at it.  The suspension is the biggest and most trying and most time-consuming job I'd tackle, no way the gearbox or engine are coming out on the driveway!

Edited by ½cwt

10 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Exactly the route I took and the intention I had when I bought the car, just wasn't quite reconning on a full suspension refurb, but it is bloody satisfying when you ahve done it yourself a) to know you can, and b) to know all the money you didn't pay someone else to do it and would have made the work, and therefore the car, unaffordable.

Keep the faith and keep chipping away at it.  The suspension is the biggest and most trying and most time-consuming job I'd tackle, no way the gearbox or engine are coming out on the driveway!

Yes I draw the line at engine or gearbox out😎👍