New Macan S Diesel owner

chanlon1

Was here before with a 987 Boxster. 
Now back again with a S Diesel. 
Got rid of my Disco Sport for it as the Land Rover was lacking in the power department and had a hideous gearbox. 

Whilst the spec of the Macan isn’t amazing, it meets my needs and the 3L engine and PDK are sweet. 

thanks

colin. 

They are very nice indeed, hope yours is trouble free and guessing you’ve read up on all the small issues that ‘might’ rear their ugly heads. 

Photos are good too :)

23 minutes ago, r1flyguy said:

guessing you’ve read up on all the small issues that ‘might’ rear their ugly heads. 

We are looking at Macan's, what small issues are you referring to?

3 hours ago, Pinewood said:

We are looking at Macan's, what small issues are you referring to?

Transfer box failures, Leaking Pano Roof, DPF issues are the main three issues. And are quite common.

Also, AdBlue pump failure, power steering failure, cracked windscreen, Oil leak (front of engine) PDK box oil leak, Hazing on the B-pillar, 

Like with most things It, you’re either very lucky or you’re not. I’ve had all but the front engine leak & transfer box issues.

I would 100% advise on OPC warranty for at least your first 12 months of ownership. Depending on the age of Macan your looking at most issues will have been addressed by now with the current/previous owner, so you might be good.

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Is this like what we heard here, where Porsche refuse to repair a £50 part and want to change the entire box?

It may very well be

When mine was in for a service they ‘discovered’ a slight misting and they replaced the whole pdk box under warranty

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies and insights. 

Had a few of the niggles that the 987.1 came with, so hopefully the Macan stays free of any previously mentioned ones!

The car is a March 2017, so it just misses the higher tax bracket, so £220 per year. I've been paying big money for road tax for so long now, this will feel like a nice bonus to me.

I got the car from Belfast Porsche, so its got 24 months warranty and breakdown. It was two owner and has 36K on her.

Not the highest spec car, but has what I need: Bi-Xenon PDSL, Pan Roof, heated seats. Didn't initially come with Car Play, but the dealer paid 50% of the retrofit costs for me.

The wheels that were on it, weren't OEM Porsche wheels, so the OPC out brand new tyres on a spare set of 20" that they had in stock. Someone told me they were Turbo or GTS wheels???

Having the 3.0L engine is noticeably different to the 2.0L I had in my previous Land Rover Discovery Sport. Its very smooth, quiet and pulls well.

Compared to the Disco Sport, the steering does seem quite heavy at low speed. Someone mentioned some Power Steering Plus retrofit option that would make a difference. Not sure what they were talking about.

Official OPC pictures attached.

thanks

Colin

IMG_7851.jpeg

IMG_7852.jpeg

• Like 2

Very nice indeed.

The engines are lovely and thoroughly enjoyed mine even with the many warranty repairs 🤣 . The heated seats are great in the winter.

Make sure the Pano roof rails are clean when you next open it. There are many vids on the tube reference the drain holes, some reports of them getting blocked and causing water in the cabin, first signs are damp carpets and if you dont notice that then the interior glass will have condensation once you have parked up and left it. Thats how i realised i had the issue as it was water and had ice on the inside 😂 . My issue was the roof cassette mechanism apparently, it was replaced under warranty.

Do NOT use any strong vehicle shampoo, tar remover, etc on the  headlights, they will haze very badly, like a spiders web.

The macan forum is a great place for all the info and often has various parts for sale on there, wheels, boot liners, mats etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, r1flyguy said:

Very nice indeed.

The engines are lovely and thoroughly enjoyed mine even with the many warranty repairs 🤣 . The heated seats are great in the winter.

Make sure the Pano roof rails are clean when you next open it. There are many vids on the tube reference the drain holes, some reports of them getting blocked and causing water in the cabin, first signs are damp carpets and if you dont notice that then the interior glass will have condensation once you have parked up and left it. Thats how i realised i had the issue as it was water and had ice on the inside 😂 . My issue was the roof cassette mechanism apparently, it was replaced under warranty.

Do NOT use any strong vehicle shampoo, tar remover, etc on the  headlights, they will haze very badly, like a spiders web.

The macan forum is a great place for all the info and often has various parts for sale on there, wheels, boot liners, mats etc

2 hours ago, chanlon1 said:

Thanks for the replies and insights. 

Had a few of the niggles that the 987.1 came with, so hopefully the Macan stays free of any previously mentioned ones!

The car is a March 2017, so it just misses the higher tax bracket, so £220 per year. I've been paying big money for road tax for so long now, this will feel like a nice bonus to me.

I got the car from Belfast Porsche, so its got 24 months warranty and breakdown. It was two owner and has 36K on her.

Not the highest spec car, but has what I need: Bi-Xenon PDSL, Pan Roof, heated seats. Didn't initially come with Car Play, but the dealer paid 50% of the retrofit costs for me.

The wheels that were on it, weren't OEM Porsche wheels, so the OPC out brand new tyres on a spare set of 20" that they had in stock. Someone told me they were Turbo or GTS wheels???

Having the 3.0L engine is noticeably different to the 2.0L I had in my previous Land Rover Discovery Sport. Its very smooth, quiet and pulls well.

Compared to the Disco Sport, the steering does seem quite heavy at low speed. Someone mentioned some Power Steering Plus retrofit option that would make a difference. Not sure what they were talking about.

Official OPC pictures attached.

thanks

Colin

IMG_7851.jpeg

IMG_7852.jpeg

Nice car!!

I am a fellow Macan owner (and originally from NI!). Mine's not a diesel, but it does have the Power Steering Plus. I had a 2.0 loaner a few months ago and it didn't have this - I would highly recommend you retrofit this option if you can. It makes a huge difference (not that it was bad before, just that if you have driven both you'll want it). 

It's a £293 option on the Tequipment brochure:

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&co=30&sp=1&ma=PCGB (RL)&bt=Macan I&ba=Macan&ac=model&mo=Macan S Diesel 

35 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Nice car!!

I am a fellow Macan owner (and originally from NI!). Mine's not a diesel, but it does have the Power Steering Plus. I had a 2.0 loaner a few months ago and it didn't have this - I would highly recommend you retrofit this option if you can. It makes a huge difference (not that it was bad before, just that if you have driven both you'll want it). 

It's a £293 option on the Tequipment brochure:

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&co=30&sp=1&ma=PCGB (RL)&bt=Macan I&ba=Macan&ac=model&mo=Macan S Diesel 

Thanks for the insight. I saw the item online earlier and believe it’s just a software activation. 
I may check with the OPC about seeing if they have anything in stock with it on for a test drive.  

I have a SD Macan too .2015 on 67 K ,no issues .Yes it’s got ps + . Franchised dealer maintained.

46/48 mpg on a motorway run , and low 40 s other times .

The pan roof  - ha ha - it’s ironic boxsters have drain issues well documented on how to clean , with horror stories if neglected.Yet pano Macca owners even those with a boxster are blind to maintenance of there drains .Why ? 
I clean my pano drains and check them as regularly as the boxster .= no issues  

The diesel motor is free from oil leaks those timing chain cover leaks from popped screw heads are the 3.0 S petrols .

The DPF is also avoidable by proper runs ( mostly ) to warm the thing through.

The add blue injector leaks , you can inspect yourself for any white crusting around the where the turbo fits the exhaust manifold . They will do it @ service under warranty, so no issue .No show stopper .

If you speak to the techs at the OPCs they tell you the SD Macca is the one they never see , or least see the least , and they do look at pork forums and there’s a lot of scare mongering and baloney by the 1 or 2 % with issues .

Forums makes out there’s an inevitability when there isn’t one in reality .

The audi derived 3.0 V6 D is the pick of the crop imho .I am in no rush to change it .

I did 160;K in a 4.6 Cayenne S before chopping .So the Macca is 1/2 way there .

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is currently on over 111k with little or no issues. The transfer box problem has been mitigated against for owners by Porsche upping the warranty to 7 years for that. Say hello to a silver McCann if you're around Warrenpoint any time.

Edited by Happy Days
  • Like 1

Enjoy it chanlon1.

In our household the Mrs drives a '17 plate Macan SD of the same age as yours. Got it 3y ago from OPC, at the time on 13k and currently its at 27k. Had the spec we wanted including ACC and surround view, which makes you really lazy. But I've the Boxster to keep me on my toes.

The xfer box was changed under warranty at 19k, no other issues and it's certainly firmly embedded in our long term plan.

It will be due for a service by end Nov and the OPC wants to also cover the 6y service at the time (though 3 months early) which pushes the Porsche tax close to 2 bar. But then again, when properly looked after these cars don't seem to depreciate much.. Warranty stands until May-23, so another reason not to compromise.

I've been eyeballing the older SD's, say at 90-100k as second car but the prices even for the poorly specced & less than perfect samples remain surprisingly high, so maybe it won't happen. Cayenne.. maybe more value for money but cant beat the fun-economy combination. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love my 2017 Macan S D. Just wish the mpg was a bit better. Averages about 35mpg which i guess is due to the 21" wheels.  Will do about 40 on a good run just expected a bit better. Purchased at 22K miloes now done 65K. Apart from the transfer box under warranty no issues at all.

Edited by Ti Rich
  • Like 1