ABS / Speed sensors

the baron

Looking at he price of these on design 911 the sensors seem to be around £170 but I’ve found the below site that has what seems to be the same ones for £20, anyone used them? 

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/15233837?gshp=1&gbraid=0AAAAADjNkFXc4Hq_vHETxzo212ORHDiUf&gclid=CjwKCAjwtp2bBhAGEiwAOZZTuIIZ3Y0wYzPHBIS0a5rWV-NRkk7kMaiuDI5W9nizGynu371ym-ikJRoCyPoQAvD_BwE

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

Looking at he price of these on design 911 the sensors seem to be around £170 but I’ve found the below site that has what seems to be the same ones for £20, anyone used them? 

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/15233837?gshp=1&gbraid=0AAAAADjNkFXc4Hq_vHETxzo212ORHDiUf&gclid=CjwKCAjwtp2bBhAGEiwAOZZTuIIZ3Y0wYzPHBIS0a5rWV-NRkk7kMaiuDI5W9nizGynu371ym-ikJRoCyPoQAvD_BwE

That comes up as an ABS sensor ? 

"ABS sensor RIDEX 412W0837"

Bosch are OE I believe.  Look for part numbers 0 258 003 806 (for 986 606 126 01, 986 606 126 00 for model years 97 - 99), 0 258 005 183 (for 986 606 128 01, 986 606 128 00 for model years 00-02) or 0 258 006 506 (for 986 606 226 00 for 03-04 model years).  Seem to be around £75 to 80 for the first two and £55 to 60 for the later one.  Cheaper could be UFOs, You Fit Often...  Even the early Bosch ones are less than half the price of the OE item from Porsche.

@Araf

Steve, Same applies, in this case Bosch/Porsche numbers are complicated by with or without PSM. Without or with PSM 996 606 406 00 = Bosch 0 265 006 344 to 2001 year cars,  without PSM 996 606 407 02 = Bosch 0 265 006 344 for 2002 onwards, but with PSM is the same as the earlier cars.  

I have changed one of these. A bit if a b*tch to get out and may well require drilling and make sure you clean out the hole in the hub of any corrosion so the new one sits in the hole properly, and I can confirm that the Bosch part definitely comes with the Porsche part number on it.  Also be careful when removing the retaining screw.  If it shears, a chap on 911UK Forum does jigs for drilling out and re-tapping the hole.

• Like 1

It turns out not to be the abs sensor, I’ve now checked all 4 sensors and replaced the brake sensor above the brake pedal and I’m still getting the abs and psm warning light come up after driving for a few mins. 

Any other ideas on hints I could check?

12 minutes ago, the baron said:

It turns out not to be the abs sensor

How have you ruled this out?

For it to be throwing a light, a fault code will be logged in the ABS module. Durametric or similar will point you in the right direction.

Faulty wiring upstream of the ABS sensor will also throw a code / light.

• Araf changed the title to ABS / Speed sensors
1 hour ago, K.I.T.T. said:

How have you ruled this out?

For it to be throwing a light, a fault code will be logged in the ABS module. Durametric or similar will point you in the right direction.

Faulty wiring upstream of the ABS sensor will also throw a code / light.

I must invest in a proper reader rather than the £20 cheapo one. I checked the sensor by disconnecting each one and checking with my multimeter, each one read around 1.6 ohms, so all good

Edited by the baron

1 hour ago, Araf said:

What state are the ABS rings in?  If they are rusty, the sensor may not pick up the movement correctly.

The rings are a good call, will check next, I have also put the battery on charge as that could be another cause.

3 hours ago, Paul chocks said:

I think a faulty brake light switch can throw these lights on. I have a vague recollection of mine doing that years ago. Easy (ish) to swap out if you can wriggle around in the footwell!

Yup, first thing I did, bought a new one and swapped it out in this case it made no difference , thanks for the suggestion though. 

16 hours ago, the baron said:

It turns out not to be the abs sensor, I’ve now checked all 4 sensors and replaced the brake sensor above the brake pedal and I’m still getting the abs and psm warning light come up after driving for a few mins. 

Any other ideas on hints I could check?

Took me a couple of years to sort this out and in my case it was lack of volts in an older battery that had gone flat a couple of times. If I kept the car on trickle charger or used it regularly, no problem. There were a couple of error codes linked to steering angle sensor code that caused lots of head scratching but changing the battery appears to have sorted it. There is a lot of info on this on 911uk. There might be on here but when it first started happening, I couldn’t find a lot. 
good luck. You are welcome to connect up to my code tester if you are near Bromley and there are a couple of others who offered to help as well. 

9 hours ago, TV8 said:

Took me a couple of years to sort this out and in my case it was lack of volts in an older battery that had gone flat a couple of times. If I kept the car on trickle charger or used it regularly, no problem. There were a couple of error codes linked to steering angle sensor code that caused lots of head scratching but changing the battery appears to have sorted it. There is a lot of info on this on 911uk. There might be on here but when it first started happening, I couldn’t find a lot. 
good luck. You are welcome to connect up to my code tester if you are near Bromley and there are a couple of others who offered to help as well. 

It’s certainly frustrating, I’ve got my battery on charge so will see if that helps if it does then the chances are it will be the battery.

im going to the NEC classic car show and I’m looking to buy an icarsoft V2.0 POR so hoping that will help with the diagnosis of this and future issues

54 minutes ago, the baron said:

It’s certainly frustrating, I’ve got my battery on charge so will see if that helps if it does then the chances are it will be the battery.

im going to the NEC classic car show and I’m looking to buy an icarsoft V2.0 POR so hoping that will help with the diagnosis of this and future issues

Good luck. That is the code reader I have and using that particular tool on the 996/986 it seems to have functionality than on later cars but does all I need.  

2 hours ago, the baron said:

The v1.0 POR diagnosed which ABS sensor was duff on mine, not sure it will help if they are OK but it could just be that one or more of the ABS hall effect rings is clogged with ferrous brake dust.

Steve, the v2.0 doesn't offer anything more than the V1.0 on an old 986, and when I asked if the V2.0 would cycle the ABS pump when I was considering upgrading as the V1.0 doesn't, their tech department went quiet on me even after I supplied my VIN when they asked so they could check compatibility.

39 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The v1.0 POR diagnosed which ABS sensor was duff on mine, not sure it will help if they are OK but it could just be that one or more of the ABS hall effect rings is clogged with ferrous brake dust.

Steve, the v2.0 doesn't offer anything more than the V1.0 on an old 986, and when I asked if the V2.0 would cycle the ABS pump when I was considering upgrading as the V1.0 doesn't, their tech department went quiet on me even after I supplied my VIN when they asked so they could check compatibility.

I will be using it on both the vintage Boxster and the 996, for an extra £40 I think it is worth getting the newer/ more functionality,  buy once and all that.

1 minute ago, the baron said:

I will be using it on both the vintage Boxster and the 996, for an extra £40 I think it is worth getting the newer/ more functionality,  buy once and all that.

Same functionality level required for 996, but if you do ever modernise, I agree buy once.