986 Tyres : PS5 or Asymmetric 6?

80sMatchbox

I've searched on here and many other places and the Pilot Sport 4S seems to be regarded as the best tyres to fit.

I was ready to go for these but they aren't in stock on Blackcircles or anywhere nearby.

The Pilot Sport 5 are available but as these aren't a replacement for the 4S's, I'm not sure what to do. Go for them anyway or go for the newest Goodyear Asymmetris 6? 

I'm sure I'd be happy with either but thought I'd ask anyway if anyone has experience of either.of these.

It's the rears I need, and running Sport Design 18s. 

Thanks in advance.

Do you want road/track tyres which is what the PS4S is or just a damned good road tyre.  If the latter PS5 or Asymm 6 fit the bill.  If the former, not sure what alternatives to Michelin are but I'm sure someone will be a long soon with some ideas.

PS4S was never available in 18" Boxster wheel sizes in Europe, at least not the rear wheel sizes. PS4 (non S) was a very good road tire and the PS5 is a direct sucessor to that. I have had PS5 on my car for a few weeks now and I think they're fantastic. But I have never (yet) been on a track, so I don't know if an UUHP tire (PS4S alternative) really offers you that much more than a very good UHP tire like the PS5, which is all I need in a road context. Don't know much about the Goodyears, but the PS5 are quiet and comfortable and sure-footed in the rain. It is claimed they are more hard-wearing and retain their performance as they wear. And let me tell you, they look good!

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Do you want road/track tyres which is what the PS4S is or just a damned good road tyre.  If the latter PS5 or Asymm 6 fit the bill.  If the former, not sure what alternatives to Michelin are but I'm sure someone will be a long soon with some ideas.

Yeah, just a damn good road tyre. I may do a track day but it won't be a regular activity.

I appreciate the reply, you're right, either of those would fit the bill.

I currently have Pirelli Rosso's but the rears are in need of replacing fairly soon. On a damn surface it's quite easy to get the rear moving around a bit so I'm probably just going to change them now.

2 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

PS4S was never available in 18" Boxster wheel sizes in Europe, at least not the rear wheel sizes. PS4 (non S) was a very good road tire and the PS5 is a direct sucessor to that. I have had PS5 on my car for a few weeks now and I think they're fantastic. But I have never (yet) been on a track, so I don't know if an UUHP tire (PS4S alternative) really offers you that much more than a very good UHP tire like the PS5, which is all I need in a road context. Don't know much about the Goodyears, but the PS5 are quiet and comfortable and sure-footed in the rain. It is claimed they are more hard-wearing and retain their performance as they wear. And let me tell you, they look good!

That might explain why I can't find them. 😁 

I don't think I can go wrong with either and you're right, they are a good looking tyre. That might just sway me..  I may just be overthinking this as I'm sure either would be well up to my driving ability.

1 hour ago, GmanB said:

It's a close call between the Asymmetric 6 and the PS5. I personally would go with Goodyear, I've had great experiences with them and they'll likely save you some money too. 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-17-Inch-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Thanks, I happened to have watched that full tyre test last night and then just wanted some real world experience. 

Yeah, they are slightly less expensive which is tempting. Either seem to excellent and I'm sure I won't be disappointed whichever some the coin lands on when I decide.😁

Have a look at the Goodyear Eagle Supersport if they do then in the right sizes. I think somewhere between a PS4S and a Cup2. 

I have gathered that they have very similar driving characteristics, but Michelin last longer. So if you do a lot of miles, the Michelin; if you only do 2k a year, save your money and get the Goodyear. You should change them after?6 years anyway as they get hard. Binned my Michelin at 10 years still with 4mm of tread!

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I have gathered that they have very similar driving characteristics, but Michelin last longer. So if you do a lot of miles, the Michelin; if you only do 2k a year, save your money and get the Goodyear. You should change them after?6 years anyway as they get hard. Binned my Michelin at 10 years still with 4mm of tread!

Yeah, I'd read that about the PS5's. Good point, I'm probably going to go around 5,000 miles in the first year but I'm sure this will diminish slightly after that.

If I remember correctly my rears are nearly 5 years old so that's not helping either. In the dry I think it currently handles fantastically though I suspect it will be a step up with new rubber. 

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Note my thought is for when M is definitely more expensive than G. If you can find them at very similar prices, as I did for the family Toyota, I’d go Michelin. 

Michelins are about £30 more per tyre so no massive difference.

The more I rread comments on here the more I realise that either will be great...but ea h comment also makes me more indecisive on which to go for. 😁

not sure thats that useful... any review over 3 years old will very likely have a newer version of the tyre released. MPS2s and GY assy2s might have been great in their day, but we're on MPS5 now and GY assy6s. if you want to pick a good tyre, you want to pick from the best tyres currently available, for which you need these reviews...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-17-Inch-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

the best road tyres currently available (as of December 2022) are likely the Michelin PS5, GY assy6 or Conti premium contact 6.

the best ultra high performance road and track tyres are likely Michelin PS4S, GY F1 supersport, or Conti Sport contact 7. just depends on if you can get them in your sizes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

not sure thats that useful... any review over 3 years old will very likely have a newer version of the tyre released. MPS2s and GY assy2s might have been great in their day, but we're on MPS5 now and GY assy6s. if you want to pick a good tyre, you want to pick from the best tyres currently available, for which you need these reviews...

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Tyre-Reviews-UHP-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

the best road tyres currently available (as of December 2022) are likely the Michelin PS5, GY assy6 or Conti premium contact 6.

the best ultra high performance road and track tyres are likely Michelin PS4S, GY F1 supersport, or Conti Sport contact 7. just depends on if you can get them in your sizes.

haha... typical... so the winner of the test, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 doesnt come in my size 255/40/17! 😐  Closest is 245/45/17! lol

Finally decide through all the info and onions and end up here. :D 

28 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

XL is for extra weight. Though, that normally means slightly stiffer sidewalls, which is good for sharp steering, at the expense of a slightly firmer ride.

I thought as much. I managed to find rears without the XL tag but fronts I couldn't find them in the ATS website. Will look elsewhere. 

255/40/17 and 205/50/17 needed. 

4 hours ago, fizz said:

I've not seen this before so thought id share some owner reviews on the different tyres specifically for the 986. 

Porsche 986 Boxster S Tyres - Tyre Reviews and Tests

Most of those tyres aren't made anymore, but thank you for posting, it reminded me how beautiful the original Asymmetric tread was on my metalic orange 206 Gti. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Most of those tyres aren't made anymore, but thank you for posting, it reminded me how beautiful the original Asymmetric tread was on my metalic orange 206 Gti. :)

I used to run a 306 hdi for a bit... hated it. 😆

2 hours ago, fizz said:

I thought as much. I managed to find rears without the XL tag but fronts I couldn't find them in the ATS website. Will look elsewhere. 

255/40/17 and 205/50/17 needed. 

225/45/17 is a good option for the front and usually less than 205/50/17 if budget is tight.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

225/45/17 is a good option for the front and usually less than 205/50/17 if budget is tight.

Budget ain't an issue thankfully. I'm better off than most people struggling these days which makes me feel blessed.

I did wonder whether you can run a 225 at the front as I'm sure it would improve bite when turning in. 

II've also got 15mm spacers at the front and 20mm at the rear. 

Edited by fizz