Brake Upgrade on a non-S

BERGS2

Guys - 

have been running round on the larger 19" rims for a few months now - really like the look - a vast improvement aesthetically

downside is through the discs now look like mini-cheddars through the wheels 😂

EHqheJ4.jpg

Is there a stock brake upgrade that can be done (guessing just to S spec?)

Need to have some work done on some corroded brake lines so thinking of making it a 'while you are in there' job and hiding the invoice from my wife accountant... 😂

sorry its probably one that been done to death but wouldn't mind some fresh opinions!

Are the brakes the same diameter front and rear as the S? If so, maybe just paint the calipers red. 

I can’t see any advantage with messing around with the brakes otherwise. They are designed and specified for the car, messing around will upset the balance. 

I did a brake upgrade with my old TVR fitting bigger Tuscan discs and large four pot calipers. It didn’t really matter with that car as it is a parts bin special by design and open to upgrades everywhere!  For the Porsche, I would leave well alone.

The S front discs are bigger and are the same as 986S, 996C2, 997C2. 996 351 045 01 and 996 351 406 01 (left and right respectively).  2.7 discs are 987 specific and are 987 351 401 01 and 987 351 402 01.  Calipers are also different to accommodate the bigger discs and have larger pistons, but the uprights list as the same parts for 2.7 and S models so would be a direct swap.  The rears are also different on the same basis, and you should keep the balance.  Other than pad materials those that regularly track their cars don't seem to have gone for bigger brake setups from what they report on here.

Can't help thinking this would be a costly exercise even with salvage calipers for not that much gain.  Remember compared to many cars Porsche under assist their brakes and to get best performance you simply need a harder push on the pedal.  Granted I have an S but I've never had a doubt about my brakes.

Painting the 2.7 standard calipers red might emphasise that they are smaller.... 

52 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Here's the video -

That will upgrade S brakes but still requires S calipers. A bit of a lash up, also not sure I'd want space the calipers off on collars like that, I'd want to mate to the whole mounting area on the uprights and calipers to handle the shear force onto the caliper bolts better which would require custom machined parts.

If you really want bigger brakes, do it properly as the guy in the YT video actually says in his summary. If it is just for looks then this would work.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:03 PM, BERGS2 said:

downside is through the discs now look like mini-cheddars through the wheels 

And if you park the car on a rainy day, after a week they'll be the same colour as mini-cheddars too :D 

This discussion is pointing towards a lot of aggro and expense for purely aesthetic reasons, can't help thinking that could be directed towards other things, but I know your money your choice :) 

(I spent over £700 just to convert my exhaust tips to black ones, to match the other black bits on the car, so we all have our weaknesses!)