Chrome peel on buttons

mr.tourette23

Probably the only flaw in the interior of my 981 is this peel of the chrome on the roof down button.. any known fixes for this or is replacement of tbe button the only option.. its a small detail i can live with but likewise if i can fix it i would like to

Cheers IMG-20230407-141443.jpg

On 4/9/2023 at 12:02 PM, mr.tourette23 said:

Probably the only flaw in the interior of my 981 is this peel of the chrome on the roof down button.. any known fixes for this or is replacement of tbe button the only option.. its a small detail i can live with but likewise if i can fix it i would like to

Cheers IMG-20230407-141443.jpg

That would require replacement of the centre console button assembly, you can't buy those centre buttons as a separate thing.

On 4/9/2023 at 12:12 PM, Stuart21UK said:

Not heard of this issue before, I wonder how that happened

Looks like something was probably dropped on it - That would annoy the hell out of me, and would need to be fixed (I'm guessing it's not a cheap thing to put right though) ☹️

1 minute ago, Davey P said:

Looks like something was probably dropped on it - That would annoy the hell out of me, and would need to be fixed (I'm guessing it's not a cheap thing to put right though) ☹️

Console buttons can be had on the Bay of E, pricing variable (ball park £100 - £200). They'd need to be the exact button layout as existing or will need recoding with Porsche PIWIS.

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Console buttons can be had on the Bay of E, pricing variable (ball park £100 - £200). They'd need to be the exact button layout as existing or will need recoding with Porsche PIWIS.

Yeah, been having a nosey and there is a few units but they have a variety of different layouts, none matching mine.. Ordered a chrome pen from Amazon, I'll see if I can touch it up a little and keep my eyes peeled for a matching unit

29 minutes ago, mr.tourette23 said:

Yeah, been having a nosey and there is a few units but they have a variety of different layouts, none matching mine.. Ordered a chrome pen from Amazon, I'll see if I can touch it up a little and keep my eyes peeled for a matching unit

Time index 2:17 onwards, looks like you could possibly transplant the roof centre buttons from another non-identical unit...or transplant your non roof buttons to it...(that way around would still need a possible PIWIS recode to assign the correct actions to the buttons).

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Time index 2:17 onwards, looks like you could possibly transplant the roof centre buttons from another non-identical unit...or transplant your non roof buttons to it...(that way around would still need a possible PIWIS recode to assign the correct actions to the buttons).

Interesting, thanks buddy, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap one once I've done all the bigger stuff.. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

A bit expensive, but you could perhaps buy this, and then swap the roof buttons over, and try to resell it with the damaged one in place?  If someone needs the other bits they might not mind the roof one being damaged? Just a thought anyway.

2012-2016 981 PORSCHE BOXSTER S CENTRE CONSOLE STABILITY ROOF SWITCH 99161326102 | eBay