Part number needed please for side vent sleeve

fizz

So I did the desnorkel mod last year and broke a clip off the sleeve so the bottom pops out after going over a bumpy road.ย 

I need a replacement and don't know where best to find the part as I can't seem to find it on design 911.

GhLvXsZ.jpg

The item Nick is holding up here. ๐Ÿ‘

It's for a facelift 986 S.ย 

Any help welcome.ย 

39 minutes ago, fizz said:

So I did the desnorkel mod last year and broke a clip off the sleeve so the bottom pops out after going over a bumpy road.ย 

I need a replacement and don't know where best to find the part as I can't seem to find it on design 911.

GhLvXsZ.jpg

The item Nick is holding up here. ๐Ÿ‘

It's for a facelift 986 S.ย 

Any help welcome.ย 

I have a spare somewhere in the garage. Although I think those clips (the one in his left hand) break quite easily. I seem to remember having to super-glue the one I have in my car at the moment when I put it in. Three years on and it's holding up fine. Unless it's completely toasted you might get away with it. Those clips are flimsy because they don't need to be very strong and they get brittle with age.

You should also try Steve Strange (Douglas Valley Breakers). He's bound to have some lying about. Mine is Ocean Blue Metallic but I suppose you don't need the coloured part, just the clip?

14 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I have a spare somewhere in the garage. Although I think those clips (the one in his left hand) break quite easily. I seem to remember having to super-glue the one I have in my car at the moment when I put it in. Three years on and it's holding up fine. Unless it's completely toasted you might get away with it. Those clips are flimsy because they don't need to be very strong and they get brittle with age.

You should also try Steve Strange (Douglas Valley Breakers). He's bound to have some lying about. Mine is Ocean Blue Metallic but I suppose you don't need the coloured part, just the clip?

Ive done a search on Douglas breakers site and they have the older vents with the different style sleeve that has the horizontal fins with it. The later ones like mine have the fins in the exterior vent piece as per the screen shot above.ย 

Appreciate the info though and i will probably ring them but trying to get the part number first without having to take mine out again in case i break another tab and the bloody thing wont go back in at all next time! :Dย 

13 minutes ago, fizz said:

Ive done a search on Douglas breakers site and they have the older vents with the different style sleeve that has the horizontal fins with it. The later ones like mine have the fins in the exterior vent piece as per the screen shot above.ย 

Appreciate the info though and i will probably ring them but trying to get the part number first without having to take mine out again in case i break another tab and the bloody thing wont go back in at all next time! :Dย 

The one I have in the garage won't work for you then (1997) unfortunately. Keep an eye out on eBay and on the forums. You might get lucky.

• Like 1

Left hand frame for -03 onwards looks to be 986 504 749 01 (right hand 986 504 750 01) although the parts cat only shows the exploded assembly for the earlier ones.ย  The 'frame' for -03 onwards is listed with no number on the drawing and does not exist before 03...

OPC will be cheapest for new, but it is worth dropping Douglas Valley/Steve Strange a message on eBay and asking for a facelift frame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ยฝcwt said:

Left hand frame for -03 onwards looks to be 986 504 749 01 (right hand 986 504 750 01) although the parts cat only shows the exploded assembly for the earlier ones.ย  The 'frame' for -03 onwards is listed with no number on the drawing and does not exist before 03...

OPC will be cheapest for new, but it is worth dropping Douglas Valley/Steve Strange a message on eBay and asking for a facelift frame.

Excellent stuff! You're a star mate thank you.

Porsche Air Inlet Frame Genuine Porsche 986 504 750 00 986.504.750.00 986-504-750-00 98650475000 | Pelican Parts

frame - 98650475000 | Design 911

Reassuringly expensive as expected! :)ย 

I'll give the breakers a ring and see if they have got one.ย 

15 minutes ago, fizz said:

Sadly they dont get them in as they are always broken when they take the vents out apparently. lol

Looks like new one is the only way or to keep an eye on ebay i think.ย 

Cheapest will be from Porsche direct if you need to go new.

47 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

OPC,

Backing frames for a 987 are ยฃ35 ( or they were 12 months ago) so I canโ€™t imagine much difference for face lift 986 backing frames

I'll give them a ring tomorrow. ๐Ÿ‘

Also you just reminded me I need to send you the tool back. Still sat in my glove box!ย 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, fizz said:

Excellent... thank you.ย 

Actaully, I think the vents are different (cosmetically) between 986.1 and 986.2 - although interchangeable. Certainly, the frame will be the same part.

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Actaully, I think the vents are different (cosmetically) between 986.1 and 986.2 - although interchangeable. Certainly, the frame will be the same part.

Frame is different between the .1 and .2 going by what I seen.ย 

Scratch what I said then about the 2.5 then. Forgot yours was a .2

2.7 and 3.2 will be the same facelift / pre-facelift.

• Like 1

I've put an offer of ยฃ30 in for this one.. Will see what happens. There's no urgency.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166049579504?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OJl-iAqHT3G&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ldolFx7KQZK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

ย 

Edited by fizz

On 4/25/2023 at 10:28 PM, fizz said:

Got it for ยฃ35.. lets hope the sleeve is in good nick now. ha! :)ย