Will these wheels fit……

Westie76

16 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

For some reason the file size was viewed as too large and they would not link ... ?

See below.

Regards from Perth

Derek

a.jpg

B4a.jpg

They look good. I have made an offer, hopefully, not too cheeky!

7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Hi ATM

No spacers … yet. The wheels look fine to everyone but a car-person. I think they will look better with spacers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I also think they look fine but on my car they look more inboard so I was just checking

I have experimented with 15mm spacers on front of my 996 - same wheels - and they do affect steering feel 

I would not say better or worse as its more of a preference thing

15 hours ago, TV8 said:

Collected them this evening. I have certainly had some luck with these. Still in boxes from full refurbishment at Lepsons and never put on the car! Happy days!

More an indicator that no one wants smaller wheels so they are worth nothing.  I have a few sets already which is more than I need really.

3 hours ago, ATM said:

More an indicator that no one wants smaller wheels so they are worth nothing.  I have a few sets already which is more than I need really.

Well, more fool them. The 17" wheels offer a smoother ride and better cornering than larger wheels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

25 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Well, more fool them. The 17" wheels offer a smoother ride and better cornering than larger wheels.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Preaching to the converted

I've been going smaller on all my cars

My latest mini project is trying to squeeze 16 inch on the rear of a 986 3.2

Not as simple as you might think

11 hours ago, ATM said:

I hadn’t thought of it like that. I had 18s on the 996 and 17s on my 987. I couldnt tell the difference to be honest, even when driving them back to back. Although, when doing that, I did prefer the short shift I put on the 996 but now I don’t have that car, I don’t miss the short shift either!

I've got the original 17" Boxster S rim and also a set of 996 GT3 replica 18" rims.  Not huge, but definitely a difference particularly as the offset of the 18" rims gives a wider track too.  I don't think you'd feel between two different chassis.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I've got the original 17" Boxster S rim and also a set of 996 GT3 replica 18" rims.  Not huge, but definitely a difference particularly as the offset of the 18" rims gives a wider track too.  I don't think you'd feel between two different chassis.

I think I can feel the difference.  But who knows if real or placebo.  My older 996 has rock hard suspension, stiffer bushes and roll bars.  It is just stiff as F.  You can really feel the difference on that car going from 18 to 17.  Mainly the steering feel.  The wheel really chitter chatters on 17.  I guess having less flex in the system transits much more feel through the steering.  I'm still searching for a similar feel from my 986 but I dont really want to stiffen it up too much to get it.

Steering feel is the biggest difference between the two wheel sizes.  TBH 17" works well for a more GT feel a bit more compliant and softer steering feel, the 18" for a more sports car feel with more steering feel and a bit less compliance but a higher overall grip level..

I'm not convinced that Porsches particularly benefit from rock hard suspension.  They are intentionally designed to be compliant but still to handle well with high grip limits.

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Steering feel is the biggest difference between the two wheel sizes.  TBH 17" works well for a more GT feel a bit more compliant and softer steering feel, the 18" for a more sports car feel with more steering feel and a bit less compliance but a higher overall grip level..

When I added 15mm spacers to the 17 fronts the steering added weight but lost some of its sparkle or chatter. 

I did discover later that the 18 997 wheels I was comparing to had the wrong offset for 996 cars.  So its possible my comparisons are all well off.

I do now have 18 wheels on my newer 996 but no idea what offsets.  They dont need spacers and fill the arches nicely.  So I'd guess the offsets are not standard.  I need to try to remember that how the car looks is not that important ... maybe. [Nerd mode On] I did consider some tricky suspension arms to push the wheel out but allow me to keep the higher offset of the standard 17 wheel.  [Nerd mode Off]

18 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'm not convinced that Porsches particularly benefit from rock hard suspension.  They are intentionally designed to be compliant but still to handle well with high grip limits.

Yes I agree.  My 981 has the standard passive setup.  Not lowered at all.  It is very settled and composed over even the roughest surfaces.  Easily the softest car I have.  It might sound dangerous but if you attack speed bumps at very fast speeds you feel them even less.  But you might end up replacing a lot of coffin arms.  

I would like to try an early 996 with standard setup.  Mine are both modified and stiffer.  

I dont know if my 986 is standard or m030.

Thinking about it, despite 7 years of Porsche ownership, I don’t think I have ever taken the wheels off! The rears in particular are huge!

as they are in such good condition, I decided to put a ceramic coating thing on the wheels today before putting them on the car. Looking at where the bolt to the hubs, I am not sure how much use a couple of them have ever had. The one pictured looks unused?

3AIGw7c.jpgyTc5IbV.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:17 PM, TV8 said:

Thinking about it, despite 7 years of Porsche ownership, I don’t think I have ever taken the wheels off! The rears in particular are huge!

as they are in such good condition, I decided to put a ceramic coating thing on the wheels today before putting them on the car. Looking at where the bolt to the hubs, I am not sure how much use a couple of them have ever had. The one pictured looks unused?

3AIGw7c.jpgyTc5IbV.jpg

Congrats mate they look mint!

Mind if i ask what you managed to pick them up for? 

I've got a set of refurbed 17" twist alloys in the garage waiting for track use and i keep looking at other sets! 😛 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:56 AM, DeeCee said:

Hi ATM

No spacers … yet. The wheels look fine to everyone but a car-person. I think they will look better with spacers.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've added 15mm spacers to the rear now

20231008-124931.jpg

20231008-124950.jpg

ATM, that looks great! I purchased a set of 14mm H&R spacers for my rears, and expect that they will have the same effect as yours.

Why 14mm and not 15mm? Well, setting up my wheels has been challenging. Replacing the standard 17" Boxster rims with 17" BBS/Carrera rims was not straight forward. The front 7" wide wheels have the same offset, which is 50. However, the offsets for the rear wheels have both difference widths (8.5" and 9") and offsets (50 and 55, respectively.

I came across a fantastic spacer calculator on this website: https://jr-wheels.com/et-calculator

When you feed in the data, it reveals that the new 9" rears are pulled in toward the suspension by 11.5mm (owing to the 55 offset), while are still wider than the original rims by 1.5mm (owing to the extra 1" width). Using a 14mm spacer, the wheels now project 15.5mm (i.e. 0.5mm more than your set up).

What have you done, or are planning to do, for the fronts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

14 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

ATM, that looks great! I purchased a set of 14mm H&R spacers for my rears, and expect that they will have the same effect as yours.

Why 14mm and not 15mm? Well, setting up my wheels has been challenging. Replacing the standard 17" Boxster rims with 17" BBS/Carrera rims was not straight forward. The front 7" wide wheels have the same offset, which is 50. However, the offsets for the rear wheels have both difference widths (8.5" and 9") and offsets (50 and 55, respectively.

I came across a fantastic spacer calculator on this website: https://jr-wheels.com/et-calculator

When you feed in the data, it reveals that the new 9" rears are pulled in toward the suspension by 11.5mm (owing to the 55 offset), while are still wider than the original rims by 1.5mm (owing to the extra 1" width). Using a 14mm spacer, the wheels now project 15.5mm (i.e. 0.5mm more than your set up).

What have you done, or are planning to do, for the fronts?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I got these 15mm spacers off my 996 where they were on the front.  For now that car is spacer-less.  That car has no MOT currently so not too bothered about it - long story.

What's next for the 986.  Well I just managed to source some 30mm bolt on spacers.  I am going to try these on the rear.  I am also trying to squeeze a 16 inch rear on the car.  If I can get the 16 inch to fit then I will be sourcing tyres for the 16 and the 17 wheels will be coming off.