Will these wheels fit……

Westie76

Happy bank holiday Monday!

Are there any wheel offset experts in the house?!

I’m looking at the following wheels from a 996 for my Boxster S….

8x18 ET60 225/40/18 tyres
10x18 ET47 265/35/18 tyres 

I’m trying to work out if they will fit or not, tried a couple of online calculators which confused me even more!

Any advice would really be appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys.

Is that really a ET60 front or should it be ET50??  996 is typically 8J 18  ET50 or 52 on the front so same or 2mm more offset than a standard 986 18" size and on the rear 10J 18 ET65 or 11J18 ET63.  10J 18 ET47 is listed as the winter rim size for a 996 C4S, so per below you may need a spacer.

996 rims fit a 986 with no clearance problems with the correct size tyres, which you have.  You effectively get a 'free set of wheel spacers' as they push the wheels out in the arches by a few mm and you don't have to buy new longer bolts.  Win - Win.  I have a set of first gen 996 GT3 replica rims on mine which are fine for clearance and fill the arches nicely.  For reference 986 standard rims sizes in 18" for the Porsche downloadable part cat:

986 18" Front 7.5J 18 ET50 or 8J 18 ET50  (550 Anni has 9J but also 5mm spacers on an ET52 rim)

986 18" Rear 9J 18 ET52 or 10J 18 ET47 but again on 550 with spacers.

Check on the link @Menoporsche suggested:

Alloy Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

• Thanks 1

that will almost certainly be ET50

And yes they will fit as looks like aftermarket size for 996, although I would recommend going up tp 275/35 on the rears when it comes to changing them - much more comfortable in my experience.

Had that size fitted on Molly when she wore the GT3 rims, with and without 5mm spacers all round.

I think I also changed the fronts to 235/40, but that was more to raise the GT3 front and fill the arches 😉

5 minutes ago, Patt said:

that will almost certainly be ET50

And yes they will fit as looks like aftermarket size for 996, although I would recommend going up tp 275/35 on the rears when it comes to changing them - much more comfortable in my experience.

Had that size fitted on Molly when she wore the GT3 rims, with and without 5mm spacers all round.

I think I also changed the fronts to 235/40, but that was more to raise the GT3 front and fill the arches 😉

I know, and thanks @Patt😉 I need new rears so may be time to go 275 thanks for refreshing my memory.  Just found Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 in 275/35 for less than £170 each with ATS, over £20 less each than the 265 equivalent.  That's more than a free tracking value in saving (with their current 50% off tracking).  Hope prices are the same when I get to 15th May, the statement date on the credit card.

now you mention it, I seem to recall the 275 were slightly cheaper when I bought.  I just put it down to the fact they weren't "N" rated either 😄

Strangely on the 20's the 275 are £20 more.

11 minutes ago, Patt said:

now you mention it, I seem to recall the 275 were slightly cheaper when I bought.  I just put it down to the fact they weren't "N" rated either 😄

Must be a common size on something else.  Not complaining if it saves me money.

Edited by ½cwt

• 3 months later...

Looking at some new wheels for a 2001 986 S and they are 17" x 7" ET50 for front and 17" x 9" ET55 for the rear which reverses the offset. If I have understood willtheyfit.com, there will be a larger gap to the suspension on the front and I will need 10 or 15 mm spacers on the rear? 
not ever looked at this before and any guidance appreciated. 
thanks. 

18 hours ago, TV8 said:

Looking at some new wheels for a 2001 986 S and they are 17" x 7" ET50 for front and 17" x 9" ET55 for the rear which reverses the offset. If I have understood willtheyfit.com, there will be a larger gap to the suspension on the front and I will need 10 or 15 mm spacers on the rear? 
thanks. 

They will fit fine even without spacers but will sit a bit inboard on the back. I have a set with exact same digits on my 986.

20230129-083617.jpg

On 5/3/2023 at 5:53 AM, Patt said:

265 35 20 used as fronts on some modern M5 or similar cars so quite popular 

7 hours ago, ATM said:

They will fit fine even without spacers but will sit a bit inboard on the back. I have a set with exact same digits on my 986.

20230129-083617.jpg

Thank you. They look like gold versions of the ones I have seen. Is the plate linked to the engine in some way or just your personal plate?

8 hours ago, TV8 said:

Thank you. They look like gold versions of the ones I have seen. Is the plate linked to the engine in some way or just your personal plate?

I guessed they might be the same wheel as the specs are identical. They are a 996 specific wheel. They are also the lightest Porsche wheel for the 996.

I also experimented running the 986 with 4 fronts so 205 50 17 all round. It drove fine but the rear wheels were really far inbound so it looked a bit odd.

I had these done in gold. Its a Porsche colour - aurum gold. Do you like a bit of gold?

The reg came with the car. I believe the PO had a v8 ferrari prior to this and his initials are DM.

6 hours ago, ATM said:

They are a 996 specific wheel. They are also the lightest Porsche wheel for the 996.

That is what the seller is saying and the part about the lightest. I quite like them but also thinking of some colour to contrast with the lapsis blue. Gold would work and also thinking of black of some shadow chrome type thing. 

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

That is what the seller is saying and the part about the lightest. I quite like them but also thinking of some colour to contrast with the lapsis blue. Gold would work and also thinking of black of some shadow chrome type thing. 

The lightest thing kind of goes away if you add spacers although that depends on which width you add. The wider ones are bolt on so you add a fair bit of weight. 

If you really want light Porsche wheels then go for 987 wheels. These are lighter as they are not as wide on the rear and you wont need spacers. You can go 6.5 front and 8 rear or 7 front and 8.5 rear. It depends what you want to do with tyres widths. Start with tyres and work backwards.

7 hours ago, ATM said:

Does anyone know how far out you can go at the rear of a 986 with spacers?

Not sure what you mean, but I have 996 GT3 wheel sizes 10J x 18 ET65, not original wheels, on mine which put the rim/tyre just inside the rear wheel arch with no spacer at all but is over 34mm further out than standard 8.5J x 17 ET50 rims, so it is down to spacer and offset. (Pics are not taken at the best angle for comparison unfortunately)

NMXScql.jpg 

Pa0PGpB.jpg 

31 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not sure what you mean, but I have 996 GT3 wheel sizes 10J x 18 ET65, not original wheels, on mine which put the rim/tyre just inside the rear wheel arch with no spacer at all but is over 34mm further out than standard 8.5J x 17 ET50 rims, so it is down to spacer and offset. (Pics are not taken at the best angle for comparison unfortunately)

NMXScql.jpg 

Pa0PGpB.jpg 

34mm is helpful thanks

I think there is loads of room

I've not given up on my 16 inch rear wheel idea so now I'm thinking about spacing it out to prevent it fouling and maybe I'll  investigate filing down or changing the arm which fouls

1 hour ago, ATM said:

34mm is helpful thanks

I think there is loads of room

I've not given up on my 16 inch rear wheel idea so now I'm thinking about spacing it out to prevent it fouling and maybe I'll  investigate filing down or changing the arm which fouls

6J x 16 ET50 and 7 x J16 ET40 are the 986 16" front and rear factory sizes for the early 2.5 and 2.7s and also the 3.2 winter sizes.   This may help you work out off sets and spacers, but standard wheels = standard bolts and a lot less fiddly to mount the wheels.  The GT3 wheel sizes are 22mm more out at the front too on 8.5J x 18 ET52.

I think your only risk of fouling would be on the spring/damper (coilovers would give more space) or possibly the tuning fork, which can be dealt with with spacers.

Edited by ½cwt

986 16 front won't fit over the front brakes on the 3.2 - this I already knew

It will on the rear but fouls on the toe arm to hub mounting - this I wasn't aware of

So I believe based on this trial fit that the rear hubs must be different between the 2.x and 3.2

I only figured this out after I had some powder coated which is annoying Me

Can't find any pics so maybe I took none in disgust - I really should have tried them before committing to the refurb 

Interesting, parts cat lists the 6J x 16 ET50 and 7J x 16 ET40 as being 'for winter use' on M008 (6 speed) cars which are the 3.2 and therefore have the bigger Carrera 2 brakes...  The wheel carrier/upright casting is different for the M008 as is the toe link, bearing and flange.  Does Porsche reckon you have to change your front brakes too for winter?  I wouldn't put it beyond them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2023 at 11:11 PM, TV8 said:

thanks. 

I have just gone through this on a 2001/2 986S - swapped out the standard 17" wheels (7" and 8.5") with Conti Sports for 17" BBS/Carrera wheels (7" and 9") with Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

BBS rims:   7J x 17  ET50     9J x 17 ET55

Old ....

Boxster2.jpg

New wheels ...

[url=https://postimg.cc/R31CKz18][img]https://i.postimg.cc/x0TLzqYb/a.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/mTSQk7xs/B4a.jpg[/img][/url]

They look fine without spacers, but would look better with 10mm at the front and 15mm at the rear - ?

Regards from Perth

Derek

6 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I have just gone through this on a 2001/2 986S - swapped out the standard 17" wheels (7" and 8.5") with Conti Sports for 17" BBS/Carrera wheels (7" and 9") with Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

BBS rims:   7J x 17  ET50     9J x 17 ET55

Well reminded. I have discovered that I have slow punctures on a couple of wheels, which is probably sortable with a re-seal but off to find the messages about those wheels and apply some man maths...

PS, the after pics didnt work, at least for me