996 Throttle body and 997 T?

Randeep

Hi all,

I'm possibly getting a replacement engine for my 2.7 facelift and thinking of upgrading the throttle body and plenum (or intake T) at the same time. I've read the best combination is a 996 throttle body with 997 plenum, is that correct? If anyone has part numbers that would be great :)

Cheers,

Randeep

There is a topic on this in the Boxster section of the 911UK Forum which has part numbers and a load of advice if no one on here comes back.

Hi Randeep

I haven’t got any part numbers for you but I did fit a Cayman 3.4 throttle body and plenum on to my 986s. You definitely can use a 996 one and I believe you use the 996 plenum. You need to make up hose to connect the new plenum to your airbox, using some silicone elbows and aluminium pipe. This bit was actually quite tricky to fit but if you get the elbow on the airbox with the engine out I think you would be laughing.

It definitely does work and it does seem to improve midrange torque as I remember, also the induction noise is excellent 👌 

Another thing you could explore is fitting the 987 airbox. I believe that gives better airflow and is standard equipment on 550 Spyder. It is supposed to be a very awkward job with the engine in place but again you maybe able to take advantage of your engine being out.

If you go this way you would need some information on how the bigger plenum connects to the 987 airbox. I fitted the same 3.4 Cayman throttle body and plenum to my 987.1 3.2 and it was childs play compared to the 986, as I just bought the 3.4 hose to connect the plenum to the airbox. Oem parts and fitted perfectly, you maybe able to do the same if you fit the 987 airbox but I’m not 100% certain 👍

Have a search. This has been done before and I'm sure I've posted part numbers before. My old pic links may not be working but lots of info on this Ive posted in the past. 

6 minutes ago, edc said:

Have a search. This has been done before and I'm sure I've posted part numbers before. My old pic links may not be working but lots of info on this Ive posted in the past. 

It was edc and Patt that helped advise me on the 986 fitting 👍

I’ve just had dig through and on page 134 in technical you should find my posts doing the fitting and the advice from the other members.

It was quite good reading those old threads and comments from current and former members of the forum. I had forgotten about Ragpicker, he did some great stuff with his cars👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’ve just had dig through and on page 134 in technical you should find my posts doing the fitting and the advice from the other members.

It was quite good reading those old threads and comments from current and former members of the forum. I had forgotten about Ragpicker, he did some great stuff with his cars👍

Thanks Lone Wolf, that was very helpful. Looks like the simplest option is 996 TB, plenum with some aluminium pipe and silicone and a decent panel filter. Not sure a 987 airbox will make much difference on a 2.7...

42 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I’m not sure as the air filter is so small on the 986 2.7 and 3.2 I think I would be tempted as the engine would be out. 

Ok I'll investigate the costs of getting a second hand air box.