Road Trip to the South of France

deanmr2

I have owned my 986 S for 5 years now and finally did a road trip to the South of France. It was a 3,500 mile round trip and I loved every minute of it. The Boxster never missed a beat and never used a drip of oil or water. I was very impressed with how comfortable a motorway cruiser the car is, I sat at 75 to 80 MPH and although I have the PSE with the valves permanently open there was no drone or irritating loud noise. We stayed at a nice little villa near Antibes and I don’t think I had the roof up on any trips we did, we went to Sanremo in Italy which is a lovely seaside town, we took the coast road most of the way and it was just fabulous the views were amazing and the roads were quite quiet and nice and twisty.

The best trip was definitely the route Napoleon which starts properly from Grasse this road has a bowling green smooth surface, does not have much traffic on it and is full of twists, turns and long straights just perfect for mid engined sports cars. It is fairly wide and twists its way through the Alps and the sound of the exhaust reverberating off the rock faces was awesome and made me giggle like a lunatic. As you drive along you pass through some lovely little villages and towns perfect places to stop for lunch and dinner. The road goes on for something like 150 miles and I can honestly say it’s the best road I have ever driven on and was the highlight of the trip. If anyone ever gets the chance to hustle their Boxster along this road grab it with both hands. There were also quite a few exotic cars on the road like Ferraris, Lamborghinis and of course some nice Porches. I got a few waves from the passing Porsche guys which was nice.

Another great road trip we did was through the gorges of Daluis this is another great twisty road with tunnels bored through the mountains and as we drove through these tunnels I couldn’t help but floor it just for the glorious flat six and sports exhaust sound bouncing off the tunnel walls. This road is actually a 35 kilometre loop so you can’t go wrong and a few sections are one way so you could push on knowing no traffic was coming in the opposite direction. I have to say these roads were a bit narrower with huge drops down the sides of the mountains which made me drive a bit more cautiously than on the route Napoleon.

Our holiday flew in and soon it was time to go home but this trip has just wetted my appetite for more European trips in my Boxster, to say I enjoyed it is an understatement!! If anyone is thinking of a trip like ours definitely go for it and you will have one of the best experiences ever.

• Like 3

Nice write up thx .Yes they are “ understated “ I had Testarossa, 360 F1 , Ren sport Spyders .Every piece of pork inc 911 s .

But the 987.2 just edges them all in driver involvement.This inc my current classic F car a Bertone GT 4 ( Lauda input with the chassis ) also thus mid engined but Porsche nailed it with the box .All boxsters btw .

Nice write up. I have been along the Route Napoleon and agree it's a cracking drive. This was about thirty years ago though and I was driving an Astra estate with the family aboard . . . 😭 Have made plenty of Boxster trips to France in the last few years though, just fabulous.

Edited by Topbox

Didn't want to hijack your thread, so I did a write up of my own trip here>

Totally agree with everything you say. A fantastic experience enhanced by a great car.

4 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Our holiday flew in and soon it was time to go home but this trip has just wetted my appetite for more European trips in my Boxster, to say I enjoyed it is an understatement!! If anyone is thinking of a trip like ours definitely go for it and you will have one of the best experiences ever.

I would definitely do it again, if only it weren't for that blasted drive from Glasgow to Dover. 😉

Great write up, I don't have a Porsche Boxster yet, but I'm off to South of France in 4 weeks for 9 nights then slowly running back up through France in my daily, 3 litre straight 6 E class 4matic. Iay need to test these toads you are on about is it's only matter of time before the Boxster is in the garage and being prepped for Le Tour. 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

Great write up, I don't have a Porsche Boxster yet, but I'm off to South of France in 4 weeks for 9 nights then slowly running back up through France in my daily, 3 litre straight 6 E class 4matic. Iay need to test these toads you are on about is it's only matter of time before the Boxster is in the garage and being prepped for Le Tour. 😊

I'd leave the toads alone personally 🫢

• Haha 1