Boxster 987 Tyre Make Choice?

AndyM001

Hello all,   

This is my first post, and I'm after some opinions and advice. I have been thinking of getting a Boxster for a while, and it looks like I'm picking a 2007 2.7 up on Friday. Unfortunately, all 4 tyres will need replacing very soon, and are currently Michelin Pilot Sport 2 PS2 N rated. I won't be taking the car on track days, how important is it to get Porsche N rated tyres, and if I don't how will it possibly affect selling the car in future. I've seen some Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3 tyres reasonably priced, and believe that Porsche actually fit them to new 718's. I have Hankooks on one of my other cars, and they seem pretty good. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Welcome, very specific for a first post!

I think most of us would agree there is absolutely no need for N rated tyres on a 2007 car, and it won't affect resale - no more than your mileage, service history, choice of engine oil etc. If your insurance company disagrees (heard it once or twice), dump them and go elsewhere.  You've said no tracking, so I'd say consider tyre wear and grip are the key factors, how much do you want each. Michelins last forever, which is great if you are doing 12 000 miles per year, unnecessary if you are doing 3 000 miles (as some of us do :( ). Read some reviews, get quotes, make your decision. There is love here for Michelin 4S (not sure about 5), Goodyear Eagle.  Arguments about Continental, Bridgestone. Pirelli were hated but I've seen comments saying the most recent formulation are actually quite good. But I don't know what's available for your wheel sizes.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome. 

N tyres are a hit topic. Really it is personal.xhoice. Tyre tech moves on and Porsche don't homolgate tyres in old sizes as they come along, only for current models at the time the tyre is launched. Michelin is regarded as the optimum, but Goodyear gets good reports. Pirelli, N or not, don't seem to get such strong reviews on UK roads.  There's no wrong answer other than avoid unknown brands.  In some respects a little less tyre grip can unlock more of the handling as the limit is a fraction lower. The Hankook you suggested will likely be more than satisfactory.

Thank you both for the replies, mileage will be around 3K as it will be a fine weather weekend car. At the moment I'm looking at either the Michelins or Hankooks, but will have a look at the Goodyears. The main difficulty is finding somewhere that stocks 265/40/18, so I will probably have to get them online from someone like Camskill.

2 hours ago, AndyM001 said:

Not really, I'm pretty sure they have 265 40 18's on the rear. Should it have 35's? The wheels are Cayman S alloys.

Alloy.jpg

Tyre sizes / pressures are on a sticker on the b pillar on the drivers side as well has handbook ).  

I have Michelin ps2 on mine (n rated because I wanted to).  Long term Michelin fan. Been my goto brand across all cars for years. 

• Like 2