Roof wiring for type A. Solved.

Daboy3000

Final edit, yep, i'm an idiot!

Edit, the more i look into this the more I think I was looking on the wrong side of the car, any confirmation would be great.

Hey.

I am in a pickle. I am going to try and break it down to chunks to make it more understandable because there is a lot of information.

I recently swapped my roof back to an OEM plastic window, replacing what I think must be a facelift roof as it had glass. My car is a 1996 2.5

When I first bought the car the roof would not go down, it would make a banging noise.  I fiddled with the motor and it has worked for the last 18m.  After swapping the roof it has gone back to doing the same.

There was no frame sensor switch on the replacement roof but I did remove it from my old one, I don't think it had been plugged in, but I think that was the side the wife lifted out of the car and she didn't unplug it.

I have checked the switch in the motor and that is working.  It is nothing to do with the sensor above the windscreen or the handbrake.

I cannot find where the roof frame sensor would plug into, I was told it should be on the drivers side pillar near the seatbelt, nothing there.

I have the type A system with the triangle on the relay, original gears with no sensor plug and therefore should have the frame sensor too.

I have got the motors back in sync, all going down fine, it's not until I put it back up where it then overruns and causes it to lock up again.

Is there a diagram of the original roof wiring so I can try and trace it or replace it?

Any help would be great.

This is what the sensor looks like, I know where it fits to the roof, just can't find where to plug in the square plug.
s-l1600.png

Edited by Daboy3000

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Is there a part number on that sensor ? 

Just found this photo, maybe I need to pull up the carpet.

Does that look like the passenger side to you?

53026888070_1cd2c9bc6c_o.jpg

Edited by Daboy3000

It is, but not sure if you are misunderstanding.  I have this cable.  But I can't find where to plug it into once its connected to the frame.  I am not even 100% sure what side it should be on as driver side can mean both depending on who is giving the info!

Thanks though.

• Daboy3000 changed the title to Roof wiring help possibly needed.

When I removed the roof on my 2001 car to replace the drain trays the wire and sensor were on the B pillar passenger side (UK).

The wire ran down under the trim/carpet but I didn't see the plug to be fair as I didn't need to disconnect it.

It was the original roof with the plastic window.

• Thanks 1

Folks, it helps to use right and left rather than driver/passenger sides.  We have international friends on BoXa.net.

Edited by ½cwt

OK, panic over, I got home and had to look.  Found it at the bottom of the b pillar passenger/nearside RHD UK car.  At least I have a wealth of roof knowledge to pass down now.

I always get confused over right and left, is that when you are sitting in the car or when you are looking at it from the front?

• Like 2

• Daboy3000 changed the title to Roof wiring for type A. Solved.

Driver's left and driver's right when sitting in the normal driving position.

I recall trying to explain to a Dutch racing team in 1988 what was meant by 'nearside' and 'offside' when they had to declare their tyre serial numbers on a scrutineering form for a Formula Ford 2000 race, and then remembering that they are the opposite to UK in The Netherlands where we were racing....

All working now.

Managed to get the switch back in place without too much trouble. I had some timing issues, but once I worked out how to get the gears back in sync it started to work much better. Having one slightly out causes the clamshell to shut unevenly. I've seen people asking about this before, so that's the solution. 

I've ordered some new rubber bearings and a few other items to make it complete. I've learned a lot about how it works, it's incredible simple at the same time as being very complicated. 

Edited by Daboy3000
  • Like 2