Rear view camera cable routing

Stephen44

My 986 had a camera by the rear license plates at some time in its life. The wiring was still there when I started the suspension refresh.

It was routed into the boot then through a hole in the boot floor and cable tied to brake lines to the passenger floor where it made its way back into the car.

All a bit rough IMO but it’s one way of doing it. I’ve taken it out.

Another way night be to track the gear cables, follow centre console, under dash to fusebox, up A pillar.

I routed my cruise control loom back to the DME in the boot by going down the A pillar on the right side of the car from under the dash past the fuse box, under the sill trim (the three grommets covering the screws were hard to get out without damage, but the screws only need loosening not removing IIRC) and up the B pillar then through a grommet into the boot, you would then route inside the boot to the centre of the rear vallance where the number plate light loom passes through a grommet.  At the A pillar end it would be easy to route up under the windscreen trims to get to the mirror, a route I followed part way on the left side for the DAB screen mounted aerial. Keeps al the wring inside the car.  I used the route when installing cables for the rear speakers I fitted in the rear shelf storage box.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Thanks 1

That's great... Seems a lot more complicated than I thought. Might have to rethink this. I'm in the UK and so have booked the install with Halfords but I can't see them doing this amount of work for their £80 install fee??!!

I've got the pre installation check on the 14th so we'll see what they have to say then & I'll report back!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, Stephen44 said:

That's great... Seems a lot more complicated than I thought. Might have to rethink this. I'm in the UK and so have booked the install with Halfords but I can't see them doing this amount of work for their £80 install fee??!!

I've got the pre installation check on the 14th so we'll see what they have to say then & I'll report back!

Halfords backed out of the install...funny that 😄😄