Key position to avoid airbag warning lights

Pordave

Help….

I have a fault with my horn going off randomly until the horn steering wheel pad is moved  it’s very loud and non stop.

Having watched you tube I know how to strip and cure the problem with O rings but need to know the correct key position to

a) disconnect the battery without the alarm going off.

b) to avoid having to take the car to a garage to get the airbag light reset if I disconnect it.

c)anyone know what size O rings to use?

Cheers Dave

It was my understanding that key to 1st position to prevent alarm going off.  I have also read that turn to 1 and then turn off leaving key in the lock is the “proper” way. 

ii think most people do the key to 1 thing. 

leave the battery disconnected for 15 mins before poking the airbag  

you should get an airbag light as long as you don’t power up with it disconnected. 

don’t know about o ring size but I tend to buy.a set of various sizes when getting anything like that. 

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

It was my understanding that key to 1st position to prevent alarm going off.  I have also read that turn to 1 and then turn off leaving key in the lock is the “proper” way. 

ii think most people do the key to 1 thing. 

leave the battery disconnected for 15 mins before poking the airbag  

you should NOT get an airbag light as long as you don’t power up with it disconnected. 

don’t know about o ring size but I tend to buy.a set of various sizes when getting anything like that. 

Corrected above for accuracy...

Turn to the first click position.  Disconnect battery.  As long as you don't apply power when the air bag is disconnected you will NOT get an airbag fault.

• Thanks 1

@Paul P  is correct here.  Switch ignition on, then off, but don't remove the key, before disconnecting the battery.  The alarm uses Terminal 86S (Key in Ignition), not Terminal 15 or T86 (Ignition on) to detect if there is a supply to the alarm siren, allowing the battery to be disconnected.  Leaving the ignition on also works, but you get a bigger spark when you reconnect the battery.  😀

Edited by Richard Hamilton
  • Like 1

Cheers chaps for the replies.

The first locking part of my ignition switch is so worn that position 1 is pretty indiscernible from NO instrument lights being on.
To position 2 with full Blackpool illuminations.

So I’m pleased that so long as I leave the key in after turning ignition fully on and then off, or leave Blackpool illuminations on and then disconnect the battery that I can avoid having an air bag fault light even if I have to disconnect it.

57 minutes ago, Pordave said:

The first locking part of my ignition switch is so worn that position 1 is pretty indiscernible from NO instrument lights being on.

So I’m pleased that so long as I leave the key in after turning ignition fully on and then off, or leave Blackpool illuminations on and then disconnect the battery that I can avoid having an air bag fault light even if I have to disconnect it.

Maybe time for a new ignition switch:

They can cause all sorts of odd electrical issues if they fail.

Edited by ½cwt

Re ‘Maybe be time for a new switch’

I replaced the electrical one but not the mechanical one.

if SWMBO indoors would allow I’d have a new car and sod the switch!

Anyway my 6 numbers are due to come up supposedly.✈️🐖

1 hour ago, Pordave said:

Re ‘Maybe be time for a new switch’

I replaced the electrical one but not the mechanical one.

if SWMBO indoors would allow I’d have a new car and sod the switch!

Anyway my 6 numbers are due to come up supposedly.✈️🐖

It could be you!

16 hours ago, Pordave said:

To be clear the ignition switch to pos1 then off is to stop the alarm going off when you disconnect the battery.

AIrbag fault lights are avoided by NOT reconnecting battery (or rather not reconnecting battery and switching ignition on)  with the airbag disconnected.

• Like 1