I must be crazy

Stephen44

So on my 2003 3.2S just booked it in for a suspension refresh (read;replace everything..haha). Lots of ££££ and I know I'll never get my money back but I don't intend to sell it and ever since a young driver I've always wanted to restore a car and the boxster is just the car to fulfill that with!

The week after, the car goes into have the leather totally washed and redyed and the roof steam cleaned and protected.

I'm hoping it'll be like a new car... Happy days

Edited by Stephen44
Wish I could spell
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Stephen44 said:

So on my 2003 3.2S just booked it in for a suspension refresh (read;replace everything..haha). Lots of ££££ and I know I'll never get my money back but I don't intend to sell it and ever since a young driver I've always wanted to restore a car and the boxster is just the car to fulfill that with!

The week after, the car goes into have the leather totally washed and redyed and the roof steam cleaned and protected.

I'm hoping it'll be like a new car... Happy days

This is my secret plan but I must wait for ££££ to accrue. My car already drives beautifully but everyone on the forum says suspension refresh is transforming.

2 hours ago, Stephen44 said:

Funny but I actually do believe this..ty!

You really will believe it, transforms that car.  The other bit people over look is replacing inner rack and track rod ends; tightens and livens up the steering remarkably and completes the set with the suspension to reveal how good these car really are, plus the ride suddenly becomes silent!  No creaks, rattles or knocks.

46 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

The handling is what really sets the Boxster apart from most other cars, so a suspension refresh on a 20 year old car is money well spent.

The car itself is in very good condition but I can't see much money has really been spent on it especially in the last ten years so it's definitely overdue. It drives pretty good now especially for my abilities haha so I can only imagine what it will be like with a refresh!

1 hour ago, TV8 said:

Nothing wrong with that. What spec did you choose to replace it all with?

Hopefully not all OE Porsche, that will cost between 4 and 5k in parts only.

14 hours ago, Nobbie said:

The handling is what really sets the Boxster apart from most other cars, so a suspension refresh on a 20 year old car is money well spent.

When driving on a motorway with water pouring from one side to the other, it aquaplanes sooner than most vehicles with its wide rear tyres and light body. With a mid engine it is rare for anybody to manage to catch it if it steps out and we've heard of a few colleagues sitting on a crash barrier waiting for their pride and joy to be recovered. But in the dry nothing can touch it!

On 8/9/2023 at 5:20 PM, Stephen44 said:

on my 2003 3.2S just booked it in for a suspension refresh (read;replace everything..haha).

I did it a couple months back on my 2003 S and it was money well spent mate. You will love it. 

3 minutes ago, Stephen44 said:

The only thing that worries me is that I will have more money in the car than I could probably sell it for?.... What do you all think?

I don't think you are alone in the situation. I think many here find pleasure in keeping an an older, unusual, fun car in decent nick. You don't get your money back on green fees or a cruise around the med.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I don't think you are alone in the situation. I think many here find pleasure in keeping an an older, unusual, fun car in decent nick. You don't get your money back on green fees or a cruise around the med.

Haha..very true!

The argument works for me thanks lol

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 11:40 AM, Rev Ken said:

it aquaplanes sooner than most vehicles with its wide rear tyres and light body

Blackpools finest are a lot livelier in the wet. Typically wider tyres and 25-30% less weight demand caution in any wet conditions!

1 hour ago, Stephen44 said:

The only thing that worries me is that I will have more money in the car than I could probably sell it for?.... What do you all think?

Don’t forget safety. It’s an older car and is only as cheap as they are due to the cost of parts to keep them in good order. A properly sorted car will give you a much better driving and ownership experience. 

1 hour ago, Stephen44 said:

Haha..very true!

The argument works for me thanks lol

Its called Man Maths.

I've got between £9k and £10k in an at best £5.5k to £6k car.  Still around £1k up on purchase price so in Man Maths world I'm up.  The rest is just hobby costs, there's the new tools I've bought to do the work and the tyres and the servicing and the fuel and the 18" rims I liked, which needed tyres....

I’ve just refreshed the suspension on my 986.

After lots of shopping around the cost was around £1500 for dampers, suspension arms, and all the bits you don’t think you will be replacing. My labour was free and I did experience my share of seized bolts and fasteners as I expected on a 23yr old car.

I drove it yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks and even though it was just 30 mins or so I could tell immediately how much better it was, and so quiet!

Four wheel alignment booked for Monday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Everywhen said:

I’ve just refreshed the suspension on my 986.

After lots of shopping around the cost was around £1500 for dampers, suspension arms, and all the bits you don’t think you will be replacing. My labour was free and I did experience my share of seized bolts and fasteners as I expected on a 23yr old car.

I drove it yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks and even though it was just 30 mins or so I could tell immediately how much better it was, and so quiet!

Four wheel alignment booked for Monday. 

You swear and curse at it whist doing it but it is a VERY worth while exercise.

Have you done both the inner and outer joints on the steering?  I had split gaiters on both outers so did inners too, made the steering notably more 'on point' just to add to the experience.  TRW are the OE supplier, decent price from Autodoc on their app on a 41% discount day.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

You swear and curse at it whist doing it but it is a VERY worth while exercise.

Have you done both the inner and outer joints on the steering?  I had split gaiters on both outers so did inners too, made the steering notably more 'on point' just to add to the experience.  TRW are the OE supplier, decent price from Autodoc on their app on a 41% discount day.

I’m pretty sure the track rods had been replaced fairly recently. They certainly don’t look 23 yrs old.

I’ve no paperwork to back this up other than when I started to dismantle the front all the Track rods felt nice and tight and every suspension bolt was coated in Copaslip, the front springs are H&R and still shiny, one strut top mount was still tight and rust free whilst the other was completely shot and very corroded.

My suspicion is that a pothole caused the spring on the O/S to snap, and took out the strut top mount. The springs and track rods (possibly damaged in removal?) were replaced in pairs but oddly only the one broken strut mount was replaced.

You are correct, it is a very worth while exercise, I’ve changed suspension on plenty of older cars and the result is always transformative, even if you thought the car was driving well before.