Help needed with PIWIS

ads1980

Hi all,

First time post here… 

We have a 2018 718 convertible that lives outside and has succumbed to blocked drainage from the roof.
The first issue we noticed was when the rear parking sensors stopped working. After investigating further, I found the left hand side footwell was wet. 
So, to cut a long story short, I’ve pulled out the seat and carpet and dried off the inside of the car and all the electrical cables plus the parking assist module and the other module under there. 
I’ve only got the Carista tool which isn’t the best but it still won’t clear the fault showing for the Parking assist module and also isn’t the best tool going. 
I fear I may have to buy a new parking assist module but before doing that, I could do with getting a better idea of what the exact problem is and then also, if I do buy a new module, I understand it will need to be reprogrammed to the car using PIWIS. 

So big ask, but is there anyone located in the North West that could help at all please or any recommended Independent garages in this area that I could go to?

thanks in advance :) 

56 minutes ago, BBB said:

The North-West is a pretty big area, so I’ve no idea if these are close to you, but I’ve used these for programming before. They are based on the Wirral, opposite Liverpool.

https://www.ocdporsche.org.uk/

Thanks I’ll take a look at them. We’re in Cheshire so it’s not a big issue to get to the Wirral if needs be. 

Don't know re the 718, but I think on the 987 the rear park assist module didn't need coding - it was a "1 trick pony" in any of the applicable models. One the 987 the "other" module under the seat is the rear control until - that typically does need coding.

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Don't know re the 718, but I think on the 987 the rear park assist module didn't need coding - it was a "1 trick pony" in any of the applicable models. One the 987 the "other" module under the seat is the rear control until - that typically does need coding.

PIWIS in sim mode appears to have a process for replacing the PAM but maybe in the real world it's not needed - worth verifying as you suggest.

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

PIWIS in sim mode appears to have a process for replacing the PAM but maybe in the real world it's not needed - worth verifying as you suggest.

Yeah - thinking about it I guess the 718 can have more sophisticated park assist - so would be logical that it might need coding 

5 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Yeah - thinking about it I guess the 718 can have more sophisticated park assist - so would be logical that it might need coding 

@ads1980 Maybe check with the Indy above re the thinking on the coding bit on a replacement PAM just to ensure I've not lead you up the garden path there.

1 minute ago, ads1980 said:

If I bought this and plugged it in without any programming, what would happen? I take it that it just wouldn’t work at all? 

I guess (and I am guessing) it would just do nowt if it does need coding.

• Like 1

All internet guesswork - I have a PIWIS and just looked at the 718 PAM programming options - it basically asks you two questions. what car and what country, there are a couple of other menu options, one is a reset to "factory", one is turning something called production mode on or off ( no idea).

But from the above - the software differentiates a boxster from a cayman - maybe that's just the way they lay the software out and under the covers it may be the same.

So - as above - might work, might not, but from the piwis stuff if it doesnt work then the coding option at an indy is there

• Like 2

Well, I’m quite amazed. Plugged the new module in and parking assist is now working properly again! 
there is still an error showing on my Carista scanner which won’t clear (and it isn’t much use as it doesn’t give the correct error code) but everything looks to be working correctly. 
So now I just need to put everything back together. 
There’s also an error showing on the passenger side seat sensor which won’t clear either. 

IMG_8981.png