Gearbox oil

Toddie

@Toddie Manual transmission ? 

75W-90 GL-5, PCG04321052,  1 litre container

Link below for info, try your OPC and ask for discount. 

https://www.design911.co.uk/p/porsche-classic-manual-transmission-oil-75w-90-gl-5--1-litre/

Required amounts for 5 and 6 speed transmission in the link here https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid/38-TRANS-Manual_Fluid.htm

75W-90 GL-5 oil would do it but look for TE-ML-11 which is the specific standard for the approved Porsche oils; Mobil Mobilube PTX is one of them. There is a recent thread in the Technical section on this very topic:

On the S the plugs are tapered so if they have been gorilla'd they can be hard to get out - 10mm hex bit, same as the brake caliper bolts.  Do not over tighten them 25Nm only.  New plugs are 900 219 001 32 (and 900 219 001 30 for the seal ring).

Edited by ½cwt

46 minutes ago, Boxer boy said:

Tools and some oil .It’s simple .Spec the oil from the hand book .It lives in the glove compartment btw .

@Boxer boy 02 986 doesn’t have a glove box

• Thanks 1

Also interestingly and obviously not essential, Porsche will sell you a "filing pump for transmission fluid", PCG72191660, at about £110 !

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=international&se=911&mo=911 Carrera&my=&ca=&sw=&ge=911 G&pr=CB6D4CE62069F52BC125881D0050E56E

PCG72191660_001_highpreviewbig.jpg

Edited by iborguk

49 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Interesting the other thread refers to that other part number.

Suggest OP checks the oil part number thinking with an OPC, seeing 986 specifically mentioned against PCG04321052.

https://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/classic/classicexplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=netherlands&se=996&mo=&my=&ca=&sw=&ge=&pr=8F7C2677A13FD8C9C12586AF00397C8A

"Only for vehicles with manual transmission."

@iborguk. @1/2cwt  thank you for your replies, sorry I should have said it was a 6 speed manual gearbox, I do some further research, the current oil has been in 21 years I believe, so suspect I will go with the Porsche Classic stuff. 

5 hours ago, Toddie said:

@iborguk. @1/2cwt  thank you for your replies, sorry I should have said it was a 6 speed manual gearbox, I do some further research, the current oil has been in 21 years I believe, so suspect I will go with the Porsche Classic stuff. 

Again suggest check the part number thinking with an OPC parts dept.

5 hours ago, iborguk said:

Again suggest check the part number thinking with an OPC parts dept.

The Porsche Classic gear oil in these threads is for the manual boxes, both 5 and 6 speed. Same applies to all the 75W90 oils mentioned. Tiptronic is different.

Edited by ½cwt

Apologies for my first reply , i was being a bit cynical.

Loosen the filler first , maybe after all this time worth several days of penetrating oil before attempting to turn it .

Buy a good quality set of Hex head filler / drain plug sockets .You might need a breaker bar ( on suitable extension) to shift them both , get them to move .

Any g box oil to spec eg from the shelf of Halfords 75/90 W spec , GL 5 has additives that it’s suggested knacker yellow metal shims etc , so ck the spec in the book , GL 4 doesn’t have the” yellow metal “ eating additives .

Quality bottles will have there own spouts pull out , so no need to buy a syringe, .You can buy a syringe for a £10 from Halfords or ECP s etc. = always handy btw .

I would and did buy the Aluminium washers from the OPC , they are buttons .Ideally you need a torque wrench ( again always handy , you will use it find uses etc ) and find the correct spec to tighten up both bolts .

As a piece of mind when you remove the filler use your little finger or a tie wrap to semi make a dip stick to assess the level .

After this time it won’t be full .When you fill it you fill it until it starts to run out , the filler hole is the level finder .

When I did mine a 09 - 987.2 ,it was full and didn’t stink and was golden straw coloured .But like you nothing that I could detect in the  pretty comprehensive SH file when I bought it April last yr .So I wanted a base line .

There was nothing wrong with the gear change , but it became even silkier with it’s newer oil .

I have since done the engine oil Mob 1 , brake fluid flush , both callipers btw on each corner , new air filter , belt , replaced the front AC condensers , new AC pipes that run for abs aft along the cill , and waxoiled all the water coolant connects .

Removed all under trays = waxoiled everything as well .

There is a significant amount of stuff , if you want to keep one of these , keep it going that can be “headed off at the pass “

They are compared to other hobby cars I have gone over ( Bentley GT , Ferrari 360 ) Uber simple and pretty well engineered in comparison.

Good luck .

Just info for anyone doing a 5 speed. The fill level is not to the fill plug. You have to make a little bent dipstick. Think it is 8mm from fill. I would have to check. Also you need a 16 spline key for the drain. Hence, I didn’t do mine the other week. I have the tool now. Just need to replan. 🤙🏻

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your replies Guys, I spoke to my OPC & they said it needs the PCG-043-210-52  Classic gear oil, so they ordered for me 3 Ltrs, @ a cost of £26-02 per Ltr inc Vat & PCGB discount.

The oil was fitted by my Indie on Wed when he did minor service & MOT.  He said the oil removed was the original, as was not very nice & the drain plugs etc had never been removed before etc so were still in good condition, although the alloy washers were a bit fluffy round the edges.

The gear change is now improved on before, so good result there, & oil good for another 20 years!

https://www.design911shop.com/p/porsche-classic-manual-transmission-oil-75w-90-gl-5--1-litre/?currency=GBP&country=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjt-oBhDKARIsABVRB0wz0Dt-Az6jNdywEj6V16cAHdWHXGFkMq6jukbCW7r2s9TvvU04e54aAv1NEALw_wcB

Edited by Toddie
  • Like 1