Dash Speaker Upgrades - What have people done?

Fat Rat

On 9/19/2023 at 3:18 PM, fizz said:

So whilst we are all on the subject... When i changed my speakers over a year and a half ago i had an issue where there was no power going to them after i fitted the new ones. I then removed the head unit and checked all the connectors and although power was going to the head unit, there was no sound coming out the speakers. 

I then gave up and left it, came to the car the following day and by magic there was sound again. Once i drove off and went over a bump it went off again. Long story short i have no idea where the loose connection is for the speakers and after about taking the unit out about 15 times over the space of a few weeks and trying to replace it moving the wires about its finally stopped going off. 

Now im getting a little bit of a crackle in the left dash speaker and im dreading having to take the unit out again in case of the same issue coming back. Any ideas on where i should look for power to the dash speakers. Both were going off at the same time and came back at the same time. 

I must stress that its not happened in over a year but thought id ask others who have messed with the speakers. :) 

Odd they are both going off if a loose connection. Do you have an Amp fitted and is the system original or has someone had a good play around?

On 9/14/2023 at 1:02 AM, DeeCee said:

I recently replaced the entire audio system in my 2001 Boxster S. The dash speakers are Focal ICU 100, which are two-way. They slotted straight in. No kit required. Ditto door speakers, which are Focal ICU 130. I left the rear speakers as is.

The remainder of the system is a Alpine IXL-507a head unit plus Alpine KTA-450 amplifier (50 wpc D-class). Plus a Pioneer TS-WX130DA under seat powered subwoofer. 

After living for many years with the stock Porsche/Becker system, this is heaven.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

Thank you. Am a big fan of Focal’s stuff - have their speakers at home hooked up to a valve amp - been looking for “some previous” around their automotive gear in a 986.

This is really helpful - Thanks again. 

The Focal speakers come in a wide range price-wise. The ICU a range are pretty good value-for-money … one can spend many times these at their upper end. Reviews tend to note that their speakers are clear and neutral. This has been my experience as well. The negative (in my view) is that they sound thin when playing at a low level. They need to be played at moderate and higher levels, at least in my 986. 

I went with the ICU130 or the doors, and probably would go a  larger size if doing it again if you do not plan on a sub. I added the Pioneer subwoofer, and this filled in the sound amazingly …. I found this in my home system as well (KEF LS50 Meta. Plus KC 62 sub)… the low levels improve the upper range. 

No regrets with the ICU 100 in the dash.

Regards from Perth

Derek

8 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Odd they are both going off if a loose connection. Do you have an Amp fitted and is the system original or has someone had a good play around?

Totally standard with only dash speakers. I do want to get doorcard speakers too at some point but yes it's deffo weird. 

2 hours ago, fizz said:

Totally standard with only dash speakers. I do want to get doorcard speakers too at some point but yes it's deffo weird. 

You'll need to mod you door cards or get salvage ones in the same colour.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

You'll need to mod you door cards or get salvage ones in the same colour.

salvage was the thought process in the same colour... but that can wait for all the other more important shyate to do! :D 

2 hours ago, fizz said:

salvage was the thought process in the same colour... but that can wait for all the other more important shyate to do! :D 

I've been thinking of this but have not yet found a pair of grey door cards...

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I've been thinking of this but have not yet found a pair of grey door cards...

Spotted these the other week when looking at things. 😁

Not sure how easy it is, or possible to separate the bottom section if you wanted to use the rest of your trim.

Guess you would still need the speaker boxes or are they already fitted?

From Mr Strange. It was the ali look closing bars that got my attention.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275949009405?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rxUds9cuTom&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

18 minutes ago, Fat Rat said:

Spotted these the other week when looking at things. 😁

Not sure how easy it is, or possible to separate the bottom section if you wanted to use the rest of your trim.

Guess you would still need the speaker boxes or are they already fitted?

From Mr Strange. It was the ali look closing bars that got my attention.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275949009405?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rxUds9cuTom&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Get thee behind me Satan! 

They are face lift cards with the door lights too (more wiring to find out how to retro fit...).  Pull handle upper part in black leather lower part in silver is what I have on my S.  These look in a lot better condition on the black door pocket cover and door handle lever.

Just noted he also has a pair of Haes door speakers with their boxes.

And then I need to buy some speakers, I have lots of wire and connectors, and the work out whether to wire it up as mid/base to the dash speakers or the rear storage speakers, and will I need a crossover?  I'm a bit of a novice at this ICE stuff once you go over 2 pairs of basic speakers, one front, one rear.

Damn it!

Edited by ½cwt
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, fizz said:

Thanks to you toe rags ive now been looking too but thankfully not been able to find any decent condition blue door cards with speakers and now i don't want a pair unless they as cheap as @½cwt deal! :D 

Grey is fairly rare (not as rare as green), so hard to find but also cheap when the do come up as there aren't many buyers!

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Door cards and speaker housings purchased (£129 for 2 cards and 2 speaker boxes, delivered - bargain!) and car audio question posted...

Thanks @Fat Rat,  I think....

Brilliant! 😂 You can flog me the Ali look closing bars. 😉

I did think they were cheap though, compared to other listings. 
Good luck. Be worth it in the end. Door lights to boot.🤙🏻

Door speakers arrived yesterday. Undamaged this time. First time I have had the door cards off. Not a bad job at all. All clips survived. Passenger handle cover took one for the team and a clip broke. Spot of super glue sorted that. The most awkward part I found was reconnecting the little connectors on the door handle. Mixture of fat fingers, bad eyes and trying to balance the door card while reconnecting. 😂

I had to get the Lidl dremmel out and slot the holes on the speakers as slightly out.

S

Speakers fitted in nice. Everything back together and all working ok.

Ss

Overall, very pleased with the outcome. Well worth doing.

With a bit of a refund for the dash speakers, all came to under £120. Happy days. Dash and door speakers and conversion plates for dash. 🤙🏻

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, fizz said:

Thanks to you toe rags ive now been looking too but thankfully not been able to find any decent condition blue door cards with speakers and now i don't want a pair unless they as cheap as @½cwt deal! :D 

Metropole blue do you? Might be able to negotiate a price for the speaker boxes etc. Sorry, got to much time on my hands at the moment. 😬🤙🏻

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265772746377?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=N-oR9FwCTAW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

Metropole blue do you? Might be able to negotiate a price for the speaker boxes etc. Sorry, got to much time on my hands at the moment. 😬🤙🏻

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265772746377?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=N-oR9FwCTAW&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That'll be a hell of a negotiation down to £129 to include speaker boxes!!!  🤣  The advantages of having a slightly less desirable interior colour but I reckon it lifts the interior unlike black or dark blue.

13 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Stop it! I've now got a deadline of May to sort out a few bits before the trackday I've booked with the guys on here! 🤪

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fizz said:

Stop it! I've now got a deadline of May to sort out a few bits before the trackday I've booked with the guys on here! 🤪

That's at least 4 months away. No excuse.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

That's at least 4 months away. No excuse.

Don't you start! 🤣

I've just got the keys back off my tenants for the home we are going to move into in the summer so some big expenses coming my way. Need to be frugal now unlike before. 

13 minutes ago, fizz said:

Don't you start! 🤣

I've just got the keys back off my tenants for the home we are going to move into in the summer so some big expenses coming my way. Need to be frugal now unlike before. 

Only took me a couple of weekends and that included changing the door looms and adding connector pins to the A pillar loom connectors, less than £300 all in.:stickprod: