Dash Speaker Upgrades - What have people done?

Fat Rat

I have been thinking about speaker upgrades and wondered what others had done. I popped one of the speakers out and I have the HAES with tweeter. Which to be fair, are not too bad.  What have people fitted, what good options are there and does it make much difference. Saying the originals are 20 years and tech has moved on. 

S

Has anyone used the 3D printed adapters on fleabay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314607360703?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mQjEXGR8Qd6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=613144387820&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I cut away the old speaker and frame and mounted new Alpine or Pioneer (I used one for the dash and the other for the rear storage speaker retro fit, can recall which way round) units using the 2 retaining screws and trimming the other two sets of lugs off the new units.

Definitely makes a difference but they are still small speakers trying to fill a noisy and soft furnished convertible cabin which is terrible for acoustics.  Tough gig!

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Rat said:

I have been thinking about speaker upgrades and wondered what others had done. I popped one of the speakers out and I have the HAES with tweeter. Which to be fair, are not too bad.  What have people fitted, what good options are there and does it make much difference. Saying the originals are 20 years and tech has moved on. 

S

Has anyone used the 3D printed adapters on fleabay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314607360703?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=mQjEXGR8Qd6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=C06hGzweStG&var=613144387820&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Yes I have used the 3D adapters from “super-paulie ” and they worked a treat.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

That's @SuperPaulie on this forum. I bought a set of his adapters and they fitted perfectly and then proceeded to buy and install a set of these which were recommended by Paulie.. Kenwood Car Audio KFC-S1066 Stage Sound Series 10cm Flush Mount 2-Way 2-Speaker System 220 w , Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They are obviously not going to be the loudest of bass heavy as i would like but are a much noticeable improvement on the original 20 year old speakers the car came with. 

Edited by fizz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 999mch said:

I put these in a couple of years back;

Alpine Electronics 13cm 2-Way Coaxial Speakers SXE-1325S

Sound is pretty good, also replaced the ones in the doors at the same time

How did you get a 13cm speaker in a 10cm hole? Did you have to chop things about?

And how easy is it to change the door speakers? Thanks.

Edited by Fat Rat

How did you get a 13cm speaker in a 10cm hole? Did you have to chop things about?

Sorry my mistake, these went in the dash Alpine SPG-10C2 4" (10cm) Coaxial 2-Way Car Speakers 180W

and the Alpine Electronics 13cm 2-Way Coaxial Speakers SXE-1325S.

The door was pretty much plug and play if i remember but may have needed to make up new connections between the wiring and the speaker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Following this thread with interest..

Are these updates 'plug'n'play' for a Bose equipped car?

That said a previous owner has replaced the HU in my car and I think they r bypassed the amp....so I appear to be running Bose speakers off an aftermarket HU that has its own built in amp...

Alas, no.  Bose system works on lower impedance speakers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Danncus said:

Thanks for link on speakers. Trying to decide if to spend 25 on speakers or 45? I will go for the adapter plates. Already bought the leads. Ta. 🤙🏻

Thanks for link on speakers. Trying to decide if to spend 25 on speakers or 45? I will go for the adapter plates. Already bought the leads. Ta. 🤙🏻

Buy cheap buy twice...  Not like it is £25 vs £450.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, greenman986s said:

Must be having severe brain fade here...my car has an upgraded hifi according to the spec sheet but NOT BOSE.

if you replaced the HU with a continental (or many aftermarket HU) then it has a built in amp but your porsche amp would also have included a crossover to only send mid/bass to the doors and high to the dash speakers. You can still use the porsche amp (check it still works) with an HU that has no lineout but you need to use a line out converter.

• Like 2

I recently replaced the entire audio system in my 2001 Boxster S. The dash speakers are Focal ICU 100, which are two-way. They slotted straight in. No kit required. Ditto door speakers, which are Focal ICU 130. I left the rear speakers as is.

The remainder of the system is a Alpine IXL-507a head unit plus Alpine KTA-450 amplifier (50 wpc D-class). Plus a Pioneer TS-WX130DA under seat powered subwoofer. 

After living for many years with the stock Porsche/Becker system, this is heaven.

Regards from Perth, Australia

Derek

• Like 1

I just upgraded the dash speakers in my non-Bose 986 using Alpine SPG-10C2 4" and the SuperPaulie adapter kit (very cool).

Also, my car came with aftermarket door speakers (Rainbow) which apparently were ok back in the day. But were pretty old, and had seen better days. So I replaced them with a pair of Pioneer TS-G1710F 6.5 in speakers. These are run by an amp in the frunk, and now it all sounds much better.

• Like 2

Adapter kit arrived ok. Rockford speakers have arrived, but one is damaged. One of the mounting tabs is bent and a couple of marks. 🙄

Email sent to supplier. They are usable, but I paid for new. Looks like someone has had them out the box and dropped it. 🤨

Sp

Straightened up the mounting plate and fitted the speakers today using the kit from @SuperPaulie Very neat kit. Cut the cable and left the original tweeter in place. Easy refit for anyone in the future that wants to reverse. Negotiating a partial refund from the supplier for damaged goods. Outcome is a vast improvement. I am going to do the door speakers next. Just ordered some door clips in case they break off. Very happy. 🤙🏻

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Sorry guys, missed this thread as I don't get on here that often while I build my house.

Glad it worked out @Fat Rat, how was the install with those Rocky Fos, any issues?

They fitted a treat on your plates. Inside of slot on speaker mount. Fitted back in hole with no issues.

Used new connectors. Just had to stretch the lock arm on the female side, so it locked into the new connector.

Bonus from speaker supplier. 30% refund which I will put towards the door speakers. 😎

• Like 1

So whilst we are all on the subject... When i changed my speakers over a year and a half ago i had an issue where there was no power going to them after i fitted the new ones. I then removed the head unit and checked all the connectors and although power was going to the head unit, there was no sound coming out the speakers. 

I then gave up and left it, came to the car the following day and by magic there was sound again. Once i drove off and went over a bump it went off again. Long story short i have no idea where the loose connection is for the speakers and after about taking the unit out about 15 times over the space of a few weeks and trying to replace it moving the wires about its finally stopped going off. 

Now im getting a little bit of a crackle in the left dash speaker and im dreading having to take the unit out again in case of the same issue coming back. Any ideas on where i should look for power to the dash speakers. Both were going off at the same time and came back at the same time. 

I must stress that its not happened in over a year but thought id ask others who have messed with the speakers. :)