Sorting suspension on 987.2 Boxster S

richbk

Hi folks .

I have recently bought my second boxster , having sold my 987 3.2 S just after lockdown . The new car is great with a 1st for me in a sports car PDK gearbox and a good service history for its 12 years and 75,000 miles .

however the previous to last owner has messed with the springs , adding I think some 25mm lowering springs to the front whilst leaving the rear stock . It gives the car a rake which I am not keen on , although it doesn’t seem to have particularly affected the handling , if anything it has made turn on a little sharper . 
I want to run the car pretty close to standard as a commuter / gt type car , as I am lucky enough to own a lotus which gives me all the dynamic , ball of energy driving experiences I need .

having spoken to Design 911 who supplied a few bits for the previous car they don’t appear to offer an aftermarket kit for the 987.2 . I don’t want to spend a fortune with full spyder  kits at this point .
ideally I would like similar spring stiffness at maybe 10-15mm max lowering , front and back , or if anyone has a decent set of original fronts they are selling that I can fit to return to original for now , that would work .

Picture below was on pick up day , decals now removed !!

many thanks 

Richard 

• 2 weeks later...

75k mile car would probably benefit from new springs, defo shocks and a suspension refresh.. A lot of folk here just put H&R springs on the car and I think that’s about 10mm lower.. This option is pretty cheap..

Increasing the rake is a well known setup improvement so maybe you get rears only dropping 10-15mm and keep the better turn-in?

I went large and put coilovers on with a full suspension refresh. Expensive.

1 minute ago, fewtrees said:

75k mile car would probably benefit from new springs, defo shocks and a suspension refresh.. A lot of folk here just put H&R springs on the car and I think that’s about 10mm lower.. This option is pretty cheap..

Increasing the rake is a well known setup improvement so maybe you get rears only dropping 10-15mm and keep the better turn-in?

I went large and put coilovers on with a full suspension refresh. Expensive.

Increasing rake is lowering the front or raising the rear, not lowering the rear only...

33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Increasing rake is lowering the front or raising the rear, not lowering the rear only...

The fronts are already lowered 25mm apparently so the suggestion was to drop the rear currently on std springs by 10mm, so increasing rake from standard but less than the car currently has…. otherwise yes, that’d be a very understeery car

Edited by fewtrees

1 hour ago, fewtrees said:

The fronts are already lowered 25mm apparently so the suggestion was to drop the rear currently on std springs by 10mm, so increasing rake from standard but less than the car currently has…. otherwise yes, that’d be a very understeery car

Ah, missed the -25mm on the front.  That would be interesting with 10mm higher front...  Mind you, much the same as fitting new front springs and leaving the old ones on a standard car.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all

thanks for the comments and sorry if I caused confusion. To some . 
so having cleaned , valeted, fixed little trim niggles de de-cal’d, and most importantly driven the car for a few weeks I am super happy with it .
However I have decided the front needs to raise a little and the rear drop to give the car its original “balance” back and also make real world driving on British  pot holes and speed bumps a more pleasant experience.

So having used H&R springs on my previous car I figured a new set all around of maybe 20mm drop would be a simple process . 
however for a 2011 car I can’t find anything , not even the more aggressive 3m drop appear to be available in The UK .

can anyone point me in the direction ?

thanks

Richard 

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Go for the 10 mm on the many I have replaced I have found that the drop is nearer 20 mm in essence from standard 

Where could I pick a set of those up from in the UK ? 
car is 2011 s model ? 

thanks

richard 

Edited by richbk

8 minutes ago, richbk said:

Where could I pick a set of those up from in the UK ? 
car is 2011 s model ? 

thanks

richard 

Just type in H&R 10 mm on eBay ad a starting point @911uk.com was selling these in offer but I think that was for 986 , also try euro car parts

• Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 2:58 PM, richbk said:

Hi folks .

I have recently bought my second boxster , having sold my 987 3.2 S just after lockdown . The new car is great with a 1st for me in a sports car PDK gearbox and a good service history for its 12 years and 75,000 miles .

however the previous to last owner has messed with the springs , adding I think some 25mm lowering springs to the front whilst leaving the rear stock . It gives the car a rake which I am not keen on , although it doesn’t seem to have particularly affected the handling , if anything it has made turn on a little sharper . 
I want to run the car pretty close to standard as a commuter / gt type car , as I am lucky enough to own a lotus which gives me all the dynamic , ball of energy driving experiences I need .

having spoken to Design 911 who supplied a few bits for the previous car they don’t appear to offer an aftermarket kit for the 987.2 . I don’t want to spend a fortune with full spyder  kits at this point .
ideally I would like similar spring stiffness at maybe 10-15mm max lowering , front and back , or if anyone has a decent set of original fronts they are selling that I can fit to return to original for now , that would work .

Picture below was on pick up day , decals now removed !!

many thanks 

Richard 

Where about in north staffs are you? Something I could sort for you if you get the parts Mick