Maintenance and care for my 981 boxster s questions

Tigerstew

If you’re under Porsche extended warranty then a service from Kwik fit will invalidate it. If you do go to Porsche you’re probably looking at anything between £900-£2000 bearing in mind what service you need doing. A 2012 PDK 981 will need a gearbox oil and clutch fluid change at ten years so unless that’s been done that’s not going to be cheap. One thing to remember though is that the 981 is serviced biennially so it’s not really that expensive compared to yearly servicing on some cars. 

13 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Any idea of some good independents based in the Staffordshire/West Midlands region?

Avoid ‘Porscheshop’ if they are still going!

a few have recommended ’zuffenhause’

https://www.zhporsche.co.uk/contact

Haven’t used them myself so can’t contribute to their service quality, hopefully someone can help you

13 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Any idea of some good independents based in the Staffordshire/West Midlands region?

Another company is http://www.twoplustwo.ltd.uk

They have been going for as long as I can remember, going on 25+ years. Again never used them personally but always had nice cars in for work (used to be on my patrol area so often drive past)

Just read on their website they opened in 1991.

Edited by r1flyguy

On 9/27/2023 at 6:51 PM, bandit_287 said:

If you’re under Porsche extended warranty then a service from Kwik fit will invalidate it. If you do go to Porsche you’re probably looking at anything between £900-£2000 bearing in mind what service you need doing. A 2012 PDK 981 will need a gearbox oil and clutch fluid change at ten years so unless that’s been done that’s not going to be cheap. One thing to remember though is that the 981 is serviced biennially so it’s not really that expensive compared to yearly servicing on some cars. 

I think the 981 PDK oil/fluid change is done at the 12 year service, not the 10. Mine had it's 10 year service at the back end of last year. My two nearest OPCs (both more than an hour's drive away) quoted between £875 and £950 for the 10 year service, where they basically change the oil and brake fluid and that's it! It was shown as less than £600 on the old fixed price service scheme. Needless to say, it didn't go to either of them and I took it to a local Indy, who did it for less than £500.

The 12 year one is the biggie and I what an OPC would charge for that, doesn't bear thinking about. Seem to remember it was over £1000 on that same, old fixed price scheme.

4 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Got a price of £2k for the 12 year service on me 981 boxster from a opc. Any donations il greatly appreciate!! But I need get it done otherwise il invalidate the warranty

I recommend ringing round a few different OPC's. I took mine to Newcastle for it's last service as they were £500 cheaper than Kendal, Edinburgh or Glasgow!

12 year on my 987.2 pdk at OPC.  Everything except plugs [they were done previous service) was about £1200 in April.  Would have been £1450 but classic register dropped parts and labour price.  

my OPC (tonbridge) have a lower labour rate for cars > 10 years old irrespective of classic register so when it comes to it for a 981 I would expect a similar ball park. 

47 minutes ago, Paul P said:

12 year on my 987.2 pdk at OPC.  Everything except plugs [they were done previous service) was about £1200 in April.  Would have been £1450 but classic register dropped parts and labour price.  

my OPC (tonbridge) have a lower labour rate for cars > 10 years old irrespective of classic register so when it comes to it for a 981 I would expect a similar ball park. 

That’s a good price, but for the 12 year old service the service manager said the cost of the products was £700 which had to include brake fluid change and the old oil change but the labour was £1.3k. Unreal to be honest. But suppose that’s what I should have expected from a Porsche main dealer

11 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

That’s a good price, but for the 12 year old service the service manager said the cost of the products was £700 which had to include brake fluid change and the old oil change but the labour was £1.3k. Unreal to be honest. But suppose that’s what I should have expected from a Porsche main dealer

They aren’t all the same.  Local to me there are two OPC.  They offer different discount rates to clubs and they have very different labour rates.  

the one I use will also try and get close to good Indy pricing for jobs like discs and pads etc.  

Mine included brake fluid change as well , and even a replacement bottle of tyre gunk.  

surprised there is such a difference.  Might be worth phoning a few others for comparison.