Maintenance and care for my 981 boxster s questions

Tigerstew

Hi all

I’ve just bought a 981s boxster from a approved dealer with extended warranty until late 2025 and I love it!!! I expect to drive it once or twice a week for not many miles.

A few questions:

1: Should I drive it more to keep the engine from developing issues?

2: What temperature should the oil be for me to give the car a good thrashing (takes around 15-20 mins to get around 90 degrees in sports mode)

3: If I keep it in garage in the winter (uk) and not drive it for say a month, is this an issue for the car?

4: Any advice for me being a new Porsche owner would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys 

Welcome to the forum mate 👍

My advice would be to simply spend some time nosing around on here, checking out the existing posts (some are more useful than others... 😂), and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to. The members on here have got a massive amount of accumulated knowledge about all things related to the Boxster, and are always happy to help.

In response to your questions, I can add my 2p worth here:

1: Yes, definitely.

2: Make sure the engine is fully warmed up before giving it the beans.

3: No problem, as long as the battery is in good condition.

4: Drive it as often as you can, and don't forget to wave whenever you see another Porsche on the road ☺️

12 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Welcome to the forum mate 👍

My advice would be to simply spend some time nosing around on here, checking out the existing posts (some are more useful than others... 😂), and don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to. The members on here have got a massive amount of accumulated knowledge about all things related to the Boxster, and are always happy to help.

In response to your questions, I can add my 2p worth here:

1: Yes, definitely.

2: Make sure the engine is fully warmed up before giving it the beans.

3: No problem, as long as the battery is in good condition.

4: Drive it as often as you can, and don't forget to wave whenever you see another Porsche on the road ☺️

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated

How do I keep the battery in good condition?

You may want to use a battery maintainer when the car is garaged as it's a PIA if the battery goes flat as you can't open the front to get at the battery. C-TEK is a popular maintainer. They are the most expensive at around £60. Other brands available, including Aldi that are cheaper. Make sure your maintainer can handle an AGM type battery which is fitted to the 981. Just drive it as much as you can and enjoy. Winter tyres maybe?  Oh and Welcome !

Edited by Topbox

Welcome.

No 1 priority is the roof drains , they should be cleaned and inspected regularly as when blocked they can cause water to run under the seats in the car , which can take out expensive electronics.

@daz05 has some great 981 maintenance videos

https://youtube.com/@TDS981?si=FGCzCkKDykDBfwmY

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tigerstew said:

How do I keep the battery in good condition?

Buy a new one every 5 years 😂  Seriously though, just drive the car as often as you can, and assuming your alternator is working fine that should keep the battery in a decent and charged up state 👍 I think some people on here use either a plugged in or a solar charger/conditioner if the car isn't going to be used for a longer period (i.e. Over winter storage, if that's your thing). As @Topbox has just said, CTEK seems to be a popular choice around here.

Forgot to add on number 4 above, post some pics of your car when you get a minute, but DO NOT under any circumstances have misaligned centre caps on the alloys - The pointy bit at the bottom of the Porsche logo MUST point towards the tyre valve - THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT! 🤣

• Haha 2

Honestly the 981 is on the whole a reliable car, I'm very happy with it.

PSE valves seizing is your biggest concern when you are parking them up for a while, cold start, move and long term storage is a good way to seize them as the water will sit in the mech. Spray them with lubricant and move them by hand and you will be fine.

Low quality exhaust bolts is the other issue with them, it's just how it is unfortunately.

Good idea to protect brake lines to avoid MOT advisories for surface corrosion.

Drop links can get sticky where they attach to the damper, a couple of mine were a bit stubborn to move when I was doing suspension work this summer particularly on the near side. Good idea to grease them.

Keep the drains clear too as mentioned.

My battery is still going strong and I've owned it 7yrs. It does avoid the winter mind.

Edited by daz05

High temp might last longer but the lubricant is realistically for when it's in lay up since it gets so hot it won't seize if you use the car regularly. I just lots of anything and avoid cold start and off situations as described above.

11 minutes ago, alank said:

https://imgur.com/a/BO3UpP

i have done this every few months to my PSE and so far no problem, I use a syringe to force it into all the moving bits. It’s a very high melting point grease, which fell into my hands😁

lyYuvk3.jpeg

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Guys how much would it cost to add a sports exhaust and the button for it on my 981s?

Would you recommend me going to Porsche to get this done or a Indy?

also will this affect my extended warranty if it was done by a indy?

No stock of Porsche Sports Exhausts at the moment! @Stuart21UK and some others have had Top Gear exhausts fitted with promising results. Sure they will give you more info! 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, daz05 said:

High temp might last longer but the lubricant is realistically for when it's in lay up since it gets so hot it won't seize if you use the car regularly. I just lots of anything and avoid cold start and off situations as described above.

Will Wd40 work for winter lay-up do u think??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmy p said:

Will Wd40 work for winter lay-up do u think??

I had my PSE retro fitted three years back. Ok it’s not used Dec-March and the rest of the time as a sunny day roof down car. Always change between Sport and normal frequently on drives which are never short. Then on washing once a month the valves get a wipe and a squirt with WD 40. No issues yet so I’m say yes 👍 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Guys how much would a full service cost with Porsche be for my 2012 981s boxster?

I’ve just seen on kwik for that “Best of all, a manufacturer service from Kwik Fit will uphold your Porsche vehicle warranty”

Is it worth it to go to a main dealer for the service?

That had me googling.

Bear in mind the difference between manufacturers and extended warranties mind.

https://www.kwik-fit.com/servicing/information/vehicles/porsche

Edited by iborguk