Opinion on recent paintwork

mr.tourette23

OK, Bit of a saga so bear with me, my recently acquired 981 had some spots of laquer peel around the car, notably the usual stone chip damage on the rear bumber around the inner archas well as laquer peel extending up both outside arches, some laquer peel on the front wing arch and the beginning of some on the front bumber right at the bottom with some heavy stonechips too. 

I decided to address this before it got any worse and visited the best body shop in the area, they have done some work on my daily merc that got pranged in the works car park and the repair and paint was undetectable so I was very confident in their work. 

I had a good chat with the owner who's a fellow biker and petrol head and we got on really well shooting the breeze for about 40 mins and he was very confident I would be happy with it when it was all done. price agreed (he gave me a deal for cash) , they had said due to the extent of peel and stonechipping on the rear bumper that it would be a bumper off job, make good the paintwork and relaquer the whole bumper

Got the car back Friday and on collection he said " everything's spot on, I've told the lads I wanted it absolutely perfect for you so we've resprayed the whole bumper. 

Now all the small repairs on the front bumper and wing and as with my previous experience it's undetectable by my eye, absolutely perfect... The rear bumper with the full respray I didn't ask for on the other hand, whilst the quality of the work is excellent I just think they've gone overboard, it's much more obvious probably due to the amount of paint that it's been resprayed, I can't help but think they've devalued the car a bit.. Im not sure why they would not try and preserve as much of the original paint as possible. 

Perhaps it needed it to look right due to the amount of making good involved? 

Id appreciate the thoughts of the collective, I'm OK with it looking like this if it was unavoidable and I'm stuck with it now anyroad. I just need my mind putting at rest as its a decent match, just lacks a bit of depth in certain lights and I know I'm a fussy buggar, I'm just puzzled as to why they wouldn't preserve the original paint, the areas for repair weren't massive, although I'm no expert in dealing with laquer peel, I've marked them out on the pics

Thoughts? 

20230925-165753.jpg20230925-165758.jpg

Edited by mr.tourette23

Can’t see the pictures but your mention of lacquer peel leads me to think there’s been previous repair work done to a poor standard that is now peeling. I wouldn’t surprise me if the only way to rectify that is to remove all of that poor paintwork and respray it.

1 minute ago, Carmine said:

Can’t see the pictures but your mention of lacquer peel leads me to think there’s been previous repair work done to a poor standard that is now peeling. I wouldn’t surprise me if the only way to rectify that is to remove all of that poor paintwork and respray it.

Paint depth gauge readings on inspection indicated all the paintwork was original buddy, researching on the net it seems its not that unusual an issue on Porsche cars

Original paint is definitely what you want on panels but both bumpers as long as the paintwork is good there’s no way it would devalue the car. Quite the opposite in my opinion provided the colour is spot on along with the quality of paint. A freshly sprayed front and rear bumper as stated would only add value not decrease it. IMHO

3 hours ago, Ringmaster999 said:

Original paint is definitely what you want on panels but both bumpers as long as the paintwork is good there’s no way it would devalue the car. Quite the opposite in my opinion provided the colour is spot on along with the quality of paint. A freshly sprayed front and rear bumper as stated would only add value not decrease it. IMHO

I guess my problem is for me it's not "spot on“ I don't think you can ever get a perfect  match with any respray from anywhere, the small repairs as mentioned are undetectable, and the bumper is very close to a perfect match but it's fractionally lighter imo and my eye is always drawn to imperfections, my missus can't tell the difference she thinks I'm making a fuss over nothing, from ten feet away neither can I but in good light when I'm right next to it I see it, I guess I'm just a fussy bastard, the paintwork is obviously much better in the areas that were peeling and stonechipped, and the laquer peel wasn't going to get any better. 

I'm just not sure if I should be going back and asking if they can do better, not sure if that's a bit cheeky but I'm a bit peeved they sprayed the whole thing without checking in with me first, if they had Im pretty sure I'd have asked them to preserve as much of the original paint as possible, if they the advised it would look shyate then maybe I'd have agreed to the full respray and at least it would have been on me then

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Being brutal you're not going to get the original paint back.

If you're not happy with the finish I'd have a chat with them and see what realistically can be done re the colour match.

Only you can gauge what is acceptable re your car.

^^^ this - plus a patched up bumper would have looked awful and would have stood out a lot more imho

Have a look at @mk1collector's thread in members rides to see how bad repairing lacquer peel can be

Edited by Mattman42

I’ve seen a lot lot worse but it’s hard to see from the pics..

I had a silver rear quarter sprayed at an OPC Bodyshop and it was never quite right as the flip in the metallic just caught the light differently. Im also a  fussy bugger and can spot imperfections at 100 paces.. I took it back and they blended into the door but it still bugged me..

At the end of the day it’s always worth asking them to take another look but the danger with reds is you keeping chasing round the car panel edge to panel edge.

What is it you don’t feel is right ?

Colour match into the rear wings ?

Just now, iborguk said:

Being brutal you're not going to get the original paint back.

If you're not happy with the finish I'd have a chat with them and see what realistically can be done re the colour match.

Only you can gauge what is acceptable re your car.

Yep, Ive come to terms with that part, whats done is done and its a good finish, Im just not sure it'll get much better in terms of matching anyway, Im well aware that when you fully respray a big piece of bodywork like that it will never be a perfect match and I think and whats really bugging me is the lack of communication and them supposedly doing me a favour and giving me more than what I paid for to “get it perfect". If  Id gone in with a badly damaged bumper and expecting a full repair and respray I think Id have been perfectly happy with the job but I got more than I bargained for and its given me mixed feelings.. I guess in a month or two I probably wont give it a second thought

16 minutes ago, hmg66 said:

I’ve seen a lot lot worse but it’s hard to see from the pics..

I had a silver rear quarter sprayed at an OPC Bodyshop and it was never quite right as the flip in the metallic just caught the light differently. Im also a  fussy bugger and can spot imperfections at 100 paces.. I took it back and they blended into the door but it still bugged me..

At the end of the day it’s always worth asking them to take another look but the danger with reds is you keeping chasing round the car panel edge to panel edge.

What is it you don’t feel is right ?

Colour match into the rear wings ?

Its just a fraction light i think, its hard to describe but the only way I can describe it is it doesn't have the warmth, and depth of the original paint, a little flat perhaps? as Im typing this Im thinking as the rest of the car has been recently polished and waxed whether thats part of it? maybe a polish and wax might help glow it up a bit, looking at the rest of the car the paintwork is glowing  but the bumper isnt... you're right about chasing it though, probably not a road I want to go down, probably just need to chill and enjoy the car as it is and stop being so obsessive

I had the same thought regarding the lacquer peal you've probably already had a smart repair on the bumper, I don't think it's normal on these.

A good polish will do wonders for the finish, the important thing is a good colour match in all lights, the depth can be improved by a detailer. You can go back and ask them to polish it again and see how it looks afterwards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mr.tourette23 said:

I think and whats really bugging me is the lack of communication and them supposedly doing me a favour and giving me more than what I paid for to “get it perfect". If  Id gone in with a badly damaged bumper and expecting a full repair and respray I think Id have been perfectly happy with the job but I got more than I bargained for and its given me mixed feelings.. I guess in a month or two I probably wont give it a second thought

This, you clearly know yourself. Plus the whole pyschology of the thing will make it look worse than it is  to your eyes, mix in a bit of male ego and there you have it . . . Your a bit miffed. Have trust that they did what's best, and you picked a decent body shop, life is short. Good luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Topbox said:

This, you clearly know yourself. Plus the whole pyschology of the thing will make it look worse than it is  to your eyes, mix in a bit of male ego and there you have it . . . Your a bit miffed. Have trust that they did what's best, and you picked a decent body shop, life is short. Good luck.

Thanks buddy, that's the kind of sense I need talking to me, this all rings very true.. Cheers 👍

• Like 1

Bit of an update, decided to get my detailing gear out to the bumper, I think I (now very obviously mistakenly) thought fresh paint and laquer wouldn't benefit from a machine polish but it was so flat looking compared to the rest of the car I decided to give it a shot.. 2 stage polish with Meguires Ultimate then Auto finesse tripple, a couple of coats of Collinite wax and then a coat of Turtlewax Hybrid sealant and the bloody thing  is transformed, all the warmth and depth of the rest of the paintwork and now looking like a much better match.. What a relief, can get back to enjoying the car now 😊

IMG-20230929-160151-2.jpgIMG-20230929-165504.jpgIMG-20230929-165514-2.jpg

Edited by mr.tourette23
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mr.tourette23 said:

Bit of an update, decided to get my detailing gear out to the bumper, I think I (now very obviously mistakenly) thought fresh paint and laquer wouldn't benefit from a machine polish but it was so flat looking compared to the rest of the car I decided to give it a shot.. 2 stage polish with Meguires Ultimate then Auto finesse tripple, a couple of coats of Collinite wax and then a coat of Turtlewax Hybrid sealant and the bloody thing  is transformed, all the warmth and depth of the rest of the paintwork and now looking like a much better match.. What a relief, can get back to enjoying the car now 😊

IMG-20230929-160151-2.jpgIMG-20230929-165504.jpgIMG-20230929-165514-2.jpg

Looks good, glad you found a resolution.

• Thanks 1