Anyone know what make front shox and top mounts I should look for? 2005 3.2S

moneypit

Hi, just had a minor service, and a short list of not urgent suggestions have come up on the visual inspection.

Among them are one front shocker stanchion starting to corrode at the top and a spacer is missing ( the other has been replaced before i bought the car ), both front top mounts are recommended for replacement and both front tie rods have a tiny amount of play. I can't feel a thing wrong in the way it drives, there's not a squeak, knock or rattle, but I'll do things as they arise rather than let things mount up.

Where would people recommend I get this stuff from? Also the front and rear headlight level rods are seized, again, any good suppliers?

OE top mounts are by Sachs.  OE shocks are Bilstein, nearest Bilstein match for after market is the B4, or you could look at Koni Special Active that many have fitted to 986 with good results.

Changing the inner and outer joint has amazing results for the steering on a 986 even if you can't feel wear, there is some after 18 years, I guarantee it!  Look for TRW parts (OE supplier).

If you have time, load up the parts you want in the Autodoc app and wait for a high discount day for best prices, also log in daily on the app for a bit more cash discount. Delivery takes 7 or 8 days from Europe normally.  You may be able to spot buy some bits cheaper (search for top mounts on eBay, about £30 each), but beware of people listing items they don't have in stock.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 11:37 PM, ½cwt said:

OE top mounts are by Sachs.  OE shocks are Bilstein, nearest Bilstein match for after market is the B4, or you could look at Koni Special Active that many have fitted to 986 with good results.

Changing the inner and outer joint has amazing results for the steering on a 986 even if you can't feel wear, there is some after 18 years, I guarantee it!  Look for TRW parts (OE supplier).

If you have time, load up the parts you want in the Autodoc app and wait for a high discount day for best prices, also log in daily on the app for a bit more cash discount. Delivery takes 7 or 8 days from Europe normally.  You may be able to spot buy some bits cheaper (search for top mounts on eBay, about £30 each), but beware of people listing items they don't have in stock.

Lemforder are a good make of top mounts and come up quite often on the bay of e

Yeah, I saw that and heard the name mentioned before by others as good quality.

I'm not sure whether I want to rock the boat with this. Nothing is bad enough to be an MOT failure, and the car drives absolutely as it always has, nothing feels wrong at all. I'm going to have the car up in the air and see for myself exactly what it needs. I'm happy spending money when it'll improve things, but I've got a sense with this that the list I've got back is a little heavy handed.

What sort of a job is it to replace the headlight levelling rods?

Edited by moneypit

Top mouts are fairly easy as long as the top nut on the shock strut comes off easily. Thet will improve the steering if there is deterioration of the rubber.

Light leveling rods are very straight forward. The fiddly. It is getting the centre pin out of the plastic flare fitting that locates it in the coffin arm.

Edited by ½cwt