Using hardtop

Nick C

I'll be putting my hard top roof on anytime soon till next March, is there anything to condition the soft top before I put the roof down for this length of time, after last winter there were a few creases but they came out after a few days or so after the roof was tensioned back up, I guess that's to be expected after being folded for 6 months. 

Cheers. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm still adjusting and trying to stop the trickle of water on my passenger side from the top of the pillar, it has lessened but still drips, I've treated the rubbers a few times now, adjusted the tilt of the glass to press harder onto the seal, running out of ideas now, I've put some rubber tubing inside the rubber but it still trickles in, drivers side is bone dry. I've read about adjusting the rubbers on the hardtop by freeing it from the frame then loosening screws to adjust it but not sure where it adjusts so might look at this at the weekend, massively frustrating now. 

Edited by Nick C

37 minutes ago, McDonald said:

OABbBxD.jpg

I still have a small leak, only really notice it when a pressure washer hits the spot. The car is garaged & usually left tucked up when it's raining.

I took it to Precision Porsche on Monday but they want the roof for a whole day to examine it in every detail. They've quoted for a full set of new seals fitted at just over £1K, if required. I've agreed they can have it in late summer, to sort it completely before next winter season.

I'm still pleased I have a hard-top.

I really like the look of the hardtop and might give zentrum a call, they do my servicing  see if they can set it up, I think I'd pay 1000 to sort the problem out to be honest but yes, really glad I've got one, not many knocking about. Never seen another in the flesh with one fitted. 

7 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I really like the look of the hardtop and might give zentrum a call, they do my servicing  see if they can set it up, I think I'd pay 1000 to sort the problem out to be honest but yes, really glad I've got one, not many knocking about. Never seen another in the flesh with one fitted. 

Once I've got a perfect fit & seals made good, I'll get it resprayed to match my car ( seal grey ) but it looks okay already. I may also consider putting sound-deadening materials behind the roof liner. I'd like a bigger change of character between hard-top & cabriolet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McDonald said:

Once I've got a perfect fit & seals made good, I'll get it resprayed to match my car ( seal grey ) but it looks okay already. I may also consider putting sound-deadening materials behind the roof liner. I'd like a bigger change of character between hard-top & cabriolet.

Which side is yours leaking?? If your passenger side is good I might see if you'll sell me the rubber from that side to see if it solves mine??

My drivers side is bone dry and it doesn't leak when using the soft top. 

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

Which side is yours leaking?? If your passenger side is good I might see if you'll sell me the rubber from that side to see if it solves mine??

My drivers side is bone dry and it doesn't leak when using the soft top. 

Mine leaks on the Driver's side. When I get around to replacing the seals, you're welcome to the one's I scrap. I don't think they'll be of much value to you, my car is 19 yrs old.

That's fine, I'll have a look at them and just see if I could get lucky that's if I don't get mine sorted before then, I hate things not being right and this is seriously bugging me, I'll keep your details so I can get in touch and if you let me know when you get sorted and keep me updated that'd be great.

Much appreciated

Nick

4 hours ago, Nick C said:

I've read about adjusting the rubbers on the hardtop by freeing it from the frame then loosening screws to adjust it but not sure where it adjusts so might look at this at the weekend, massively frustrating now. 

I stripped my hardtop completely and then put it all back together again. Couple of pics here.

I think I know where these screws are you mention. So you need to pull the seal away to get to them. There are 2 metal channels which screw to the hardtop, on each side where the window closes. Then the rubber seal sits in this or these channel/s. The channel itself has oval holes for the screws which screw it onto the hardtop. Oval so you can adjust where the channel sits on the hardtop as in towards the centre of the car or outwards. Therefore if you adjust this the side window will either press harder on the seal or looser. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions. 

4 hours ago, McDonald said:

I may also consider putting sound-deadening materials behind the roof liner. I'd like a bigger change of character between hard-top & cabriolet.

@the baron, he’s looking for inspiration… got any photos to hand? :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Really wish I hadn’t sold the hardtop looking back at those pictures 🥲

Did you show your workings on the hardtop refurb? It looks like very fine work. I'm interested in adding sound deadening material which might involve re-lining the roof. 

19 hours ago, McDonald said:

Did you show your workings on the hardtop refurb? It looks like very fine work. I'm interested in adding sound deadening material which might involve re-lining the roof. 

I paid a company to do it, I took all the pieces off I wanted covering and hey did the rest.

59 minutes ago, the baron said:

I paid a company to do it, I took all the pieces off I wanted covering and hey did the rest.

They clearly knew what they were doing.

• Like 1