Steering wheel dilemma

mr.tourette23

On 11/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, zagamuffin said:

IMG-3782.jpg

IMG-3785.jpg

This looks very interesting - can anyone tell me where I go to find the what and how for this please?

Edited by map
Manners

You need to source a 718/991.2/Macan wheel and airbag.

if you already have a multifunction wheel or PDK you will need an adapter from GPS Adapters to make it work, it’s a little plug in box of tricks.

Good to go.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, zagamuffin said:

IMG-3782.jpg

IMG-3785.jpg

2 hours ago, map said:

This looks very interesting - can anyone tell me where I go to find the what and how for this please?

For clarity I’d like to know how to get this non-multifunction wheel on to a 986 as pictured in @zagamuffin’s post quoted above.

All relevant pointers/links welcome.

Thank you.

map

15 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

@map I did see an adapter boss once for this but it pushed the steering wheel forward a couple of inches and the airbag and horn did not function. 

Thank you - not sure I want to lose the airbag.

EDIT:

Found the company you might be referring to:

https://spacershop.com/categoria-prodotto/distanziali-volante/distanziale-volante-porsche/

Looking at the photos in @zagamuffin’s photo the wheel doesn’t look to be as far from the stalks as the spacershop item is 🤔

Spacershop also commented that the airbag firing tech is single stage in 9x6 whereas later vehicles used a 2 stage system. 

Edited by map
Updated with weblink

1 hour ago, map said:

For clarity I’d like to know how to get this non-multifunction wheel on to a 986 as pictured in @zagamuffin’s post quoted above.

All relevant pointers/links welcome.

Thank you.

map

It looks  like he has bought a later wheel, from a Macan or 718 perhaps, sent it to Royals Steering wheels for a refurb too most likely

1 hour ago, mr.tourette23 said:

It looks  like he has bought a later wheel, from a Macan or 718 perhaps, sent it to Royals Steering wheels for a refurb too most likely

Maps question is more how is the later steering wheel fitted as steering shaft is actually smaller on a 986. I hope Zagamuffin didn't just use to big washers😂

39 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

Wheel was made by the company for me to fit to the 996, no dodgy attachments bar changing from 2 stage bag to 1 stage as mentioned above

Brilliant - can you share the name of the company please?

Or better still do you have a link to their website or socials?

Thanks

map

I've had a similar dilemma with steering wheels - I have had this one in my garage for over a year now which is freshly retrimmed professionally which I have been debating on fitting to my 981 GTS (I also have the airbag) but just can't justify spending £500 on an adapter to make the buttons and mode toggle work.

b370ce53-985b-486d-85d4-e9f079ee335c.thumb.jpeg.233a4816f170eba4a2b719783f73785a.jpeg

For anyone thinking of changing their wheel on their 981 ( cant think why, love the sport wheel ) their is a usefull short video on Youtube by an Ausie called Peter Fritz. he did it in literally 10 mins, no adaptor or anything used , sorry havn't attached link

2 hours ago, alank said:

For anyone thinking of changing their wheel on their 981 ( cant think why, love the sport wheel ) their is a usefull short video on Youtube by an Ausie called Peter Fritz. he did it in literally 10 mins, no adaptor or anything used , sorry havn't attached link

It’s a good video but a replica wheel and airbag that’s why it doesn’t need the adapter.

I m just halfway through this steering wheel swap and originally wasn’t going to bother with the adapter. But once the wheel arrived I changed my mind 😩

I will post some pictures once it’s finished 👍

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 10:10 PM, Robin_GTS said:

I've had a similar dilemma with steering wheels - I have had this one in my garage for over a year now which is freshly retrimmed professionally which I have been debating on fitting to my 981 GTS (I also have the airbag) but just can't justify spending £500 on an adapter to make the buttons and mode toggle work.

b370ce53-985b-486d-85d4-e9f079ee335c.thumb.jpeg.233a4816f170eba4a2b719783f73785a.jpeg

The adapter was designed for the generation of wheel before this one. I'm not certain if it will work with the adapter anyway. Do you know?

4 hours ago, alank said:

Replica wheel and a replica airbag! Good luck with that.

Does the GPS adapter add the MFSW wheel controls and jog dial control functions to the car without coding?
(You had the standard Sports design wheel without MFSW capacity before.

Or do you need a new clock spring and / or coding as well?

On 3/27/2024 at 12:56 PM, daz05 said:

The adapter was designed for the generation of wheel before this one. I'm not certain if it will work with the adapter anyway. Do you know?

I emailed the supplier of the adapters and sent them a picture of the wheel and they confirmed their adapter would work, I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on spending so much on an adapter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

53616909011_30b351571c_b.jpg

I can confirm the adapter works perfectly, just got back from my first test drive 😎

Really pleased with it, just giving the rest of the interior a clean 🧽 

This is making me more tempted to pull the buy button now!!!

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

53616909011_30b351571c_b.jpg

I can confirm the adapter works perfectly, just got back from my first test drive 😎

Really pleased with it, just giving the rest of the interior a clean 🧽 

Does the mode scroll work as well?

To get the sports mode working you need the adapter x which would allow the multi functional bits to work and the heating bit. I’m not sure if further coding is required to the multifunction but I haven’t got that just the Sports modes which works flawlessly 😎👍