Height sensors.???

phazed

This relates to a 2002 3.2 S.

This is probably an obvious question.

What are the two height sensors for on the nearside front and rear suspension?

I know, I am going to kick myself when someone tells me the answer!

You would have thought that possibly just one front sensor would be required for the lights.

Just on the off chance, I wonder if anyone has a rear sensor and it’s plastic arm lying around spare?

1 minute ago, Amaboknaai said:

You can get PSM on facelift. It was one of my must have options at the time...

Mine is a 2002 car.

Have no idea what is facelift and what isn’t.

I can’t even look at the dashboard as the car is up in the air on my two post lift and I haven’t driven it since buying it! 
Did I read somewhere that you can look up what specification and extras a car came with?

PSM would be an obvious button somewhere, like in the 987.

If it has xenon lights (eg washers) it will need a levelling system. I always assumed they were on two front lights but perhaps front and rear make more sense. If you don't have xenons it shouldn't be that.

Two mechanisms on front and rear left. You need to know relative movement for a levelling system. These can seize and shear so keep an eye on them.

PSM, stability does not need these, they are for Litronic Xenon lights. Self levelling is a requirement for this type of light.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, phazed said:

Mine is a 2002 car.

Have no idea what is facelift and what isn’t.

I can’t even look at the dashboard as the car is up in the air on my two post lift and I haven’t driven it since buying it! 
Did I read somewhere that you can look up what specification and extras a car came with?

If it has a glovebox then it’s a facelift. I think the facelift came in with the 2002 model year.

There are two face lifts for the 986, one in 2001 Model year (so Q3 2000 onwards) which added electric bonnet/boot releases, cup holder in dash, better interior light, revised instrument cluster and some other minor items.  Then 2003 MY (Q3 2002 on wards) saw a more major face lift with bumper mouldings front a rear, spoiler, 4 hoop roof with glass rear window, a proper glove box and various engine updates.

@phazed what is the 11th digit of you chassis number?  If it is a 2 it is a 2002 Model year, if 3 it is 2003.

djGZF9L.jpg 

For those that want to know ,and this applies to all Porsches, not just 986, this digit starts at V for '97, W for '98, x for '99, Y for '00, then 1 to 9 for 2001 to 2009, then starts at A for 2010 and so on along the alphabet.  Model year used to run from August of previous year to July production, then from about 2009 changed to June of previous year to May.

9 hours ago, TV8 said:

Hi Peter, if it’s the plastic arm in the centre of this picture next to where the flexi brake hose connects, I am reliably informed it’s for headlight levelling. 
IyfGrSy.jpg

100% correct.

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

100% correct.

Thanks for that Graham. A good photograph. Useful as mine is disassembled. I think I will repair the plastic arm and so that is good to show the exact position.

14 minutes ago, phazed said:

Thanks for that Graham. A good photograph. Useful as mine is disassembled. I think I will repair the plastic arm and so that is good to show the exact position.

If you can't repair, go for a salvage one.  The metal rods however do suffer from seizing ball joints that then either break the rod or the plastic lever on the sensor.  The sensor is 996 631 121 00 and a new one from Porsche is about £125.  Salvage about £30 with postage.  If you need to take the rod off the coffin arm the plastic bracket is retained by an expanding rivet that you have to knock the peg out of the centre of it to release it.  Ask me how I know...

1 hour ago, phazed said:

I was in a workshop recently and saw this and could not work out what all the parts were, so took a picture for my future reference. I was not sure about that arm or the tubular one that runs parallel to the control arm. Turns out that is the handbrake cable! 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

If you can't repair, go for a salvage one.  The metal rods however do suffer from seizing ball joints that then either break the rod or the plastic lever on the sensor.  The sensor is 996 631 121 00 and a new one from Porsche is about £125.  Salvage about £30 with postage.  If you need to take the rod off the coffin arm the plastic bracket is retained by an expanding rivet that you have to knock the peg out of the centre of it to release it.  Ask me how I know...

I’ve seen them on eBay, more expensive than you think for a 20+ year old fitting! I’m sure I can repair mine even though it is in three parts. I am guessing my sensor works okay but again the fixings are shut so will have a word with my friend Heath Robinson. ;)

1 hour ago, phazed said:

I’ve seen them on eBay, more expensive than you think for a 20+ year old fitting! I’m sure I can repair mine even though it is in three parts. I am guessing my sensor works okay but again the fixings are shut so will have a word with my friend Heath Robinson. ;)

Try Douglas Valley Breakers (Steve Strange on eBay). That's where I spotted the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Disassembled all the front suspension yesterday and found another height sensor in the front wheel arch. All part of the lighting no doubt.

Sadly the arm on this one is broken as well, ( is there nothing that doesn’t need attention on this car!).

Has anyone got a picture of this connected up in position?

Pretty sure there is a sensor for the alarm to stop it being towed, getting wheels nicked in Liverpool or cats stolen. Managed to set off the alarm jacking up the car, but without unlocking it/disarming the alarm. Frightened the life out of me.