981 Discs and Pads, which ones?

CMA

Looking like I'll need new pads and disks all round before I even think about the track day next year.

Which brands of pads and disks are recommended for fast road and 2 or 3 track days a year? And where to get them from?

And are the rear disks DIY'able with the handbrake as I don't have a PIWIS or know anyone with one?

I bought standard Pagid pads and discs all round from Euro car parts and have done 3 track days on them. The pads will need replacement before another I think but worked fine. I have thought about a set of Pagid RS29's as I have the rears, but from previous experiences there to noisy on the road.

To change the rear discs you could with something like a Carsoft V3 to measure the electronic hand brake gap.

You will need to change the brake fluid to Motul RBF600 to stop the brake pedal getting spongy.

• Like 1

I used Textar pads off Ebay. Front and Rear.

Ordered some TRW Front discs from Autodoc. I left the rears as they looked fine but I might change them soon anyway. I didn't realise about the hand brake shenanigans. 

These TRW fronts came with black painted centres which look good and I just rate TRW generally. 

20230415-142051.jpg

20230415-142706.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ATM said:

Ordered some TRW Front discs from Autodoc. I left the rears as they looked fine but I might change them soon anyway. I didn't realise about the hand brake shenanigans. 

These TRW fronts came with black painted centres which look good and I just rate TRW generally

Has anyone changed rear discs without any of the shenanigans? I'm not looking to replace the handbrake shoes, just the discs, I guess the inner face of the bell doesn't wear much, if at all, so could be a straight swap? Different if I was replacing the shoes I guess...

23 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

To change the rear discs you could with something like a Carsoft V3 to measure the electronic hand brake gap.

I already have the V2, which I guess doesn't help

Just reading the workshop manual and its quite contradictory... these 2 information points are next to each other in the grinding down parking brake instructions....

It is not necessary to grind down the parking-brake shoes when you are removing/installing the brake discs
and/or parking-brake shoes.

Each time the brake discs and/or parking-brake shoes (grey cast-iron brakes only) are replaced, the electric
parking brake (EPB) must be grinded down after first setting the brake shoes to the basic setting

So which is it, not necessary or must

Edited by CMA

1 hour ago, CMA said:

Just reading the workshop manual and its quite contradictory... these 2 information points are next to each other in the grinding down parking brake instructions....

I think that is a little misleading you don't grind down anything! It must mean wind down the adjuster.

I have had it on previous models of Boxster where it is impossible to remove the rear discs due to the handbrake shoes and you have to back off the adjuster, but on the 981 they came straight off.

The 981 still has the same (primitive) way of adjusting the hand brake shoes as previous models, but with it being electronic it can fault out if the gap is to big or small.

Your V2 should work, I think its EPB in the SERVICE module. It just cyclols the handbrake to measure the movement and tells you if its in limits. I didn't check it with the old discs but after fitting the new ones the left side was on the minimum and right was above maximum movement, so then I had to adjust the stupid cog thing on the handbrake adjuster until it came in tolerance.

Edited by Tony Daniel
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Not necessary if you are just removing and re-installing same pads/discs, must if replacing worn out with new is my reading.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

Your V2 should work, I think its EPB in the SERVICE module. It just cyclols the handbrake to measure the movement and tells you if its in limits. I didn't check it with the old discs but after fitting the new ones the left side was on the minimum and right was above maximum movement, so then I had to adjust the stupid cog thing on the handbrake adjuster until it came in tolerance.

Just popped the battery on and given it a look on the V2.

Left Wheel pad gap 4.67mm

Right Wheel pad gap 4.92

Then the screen after pops up and says the gap should be between 1.9mm to 2.4mm

So way way way out of tolerance, I cycled the handbrake on and off a few times in the normal fashion and tried reading it again

Left Wheel pad gap 2.93mm

Right Wheel pad gap 3.27

So still out of tolerance but better, at least I have some reference for when I come to change so thanks for the pointers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought new Brembo front discs, pads and sensors for my 981s  from Autodoc a couple of weeks ago. I thought I'd put them on when I changed to winter wheels which I did today. I had a good look and I really don't need to change them for another year or so as I do very few miles. If anybody wants them and are relatively near Reading for collection or a meet up they would be slightly discounted at £275. I'm not fussed about whether I keep them or not as I will use them eventually and I'll probably do all 4 wheels at the same time so will have to order again anyway. 

Edited by daveg