The proper way to wake up a sleeping 986

Triops

2001 986 S

When the car sleeps after 5 days? Can someone tell me how they open up the car using the key lock and then remote. Avoiding the alarm. I guess I am asking for the Porsche recommended procedure. I use a method that works sometimes and not others

thanks

Turn the key in the lock as if opening the door manually. This should wake up the car so to speak. Then just blip the remote as you would normally to lock/unlock. 

You shouldn’t need to put the key in the ignition IIRC?

What is the issue ?

Edited by hmg66

Turn the key anti clockwise.  This wakes it up, then use the remote as normal, no need to get the key into the ignition lock.  You can of course turn it clockwise and just open it manually, but if you just want to access the boot, the anti clockwise turn and then press boot button without having to open the door.

45 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Make it a cup of tea, gently open the garage door and say "Hey, time to get up, I have made you tea"

Better not tell mine that.  It is sitting out in the rain at the moment without even the half cover on it after getting frosted twice at the weekend.

• Haha 1

Later cars with the !32 alarm system and 9-pin door locks wake up as discussed above.

However worth mentioning that early 986 cars with the I16 alarm system (<MY1999 with 8-pin door locks) can't be woken up by simply inserting and turning the mechanical key in the door lock then using the remote; the key must also be inserted in the ignition switch (within about 30s) and the immobiliser chip read before remote locking/unlocking wakes up and can be used.

I assume I16 and I32 refer to the architecture of the respective alarm modules (16bit or 32bit).

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I leave mine unlocked (or the alarm has a mind of it's own) and then just open the drivers door, put the key in the ignition, start the car and drive away.

Because my roof has been converted to manual, I drop both windows a bit before stopping, close the roof manually and then hold down the lock button on  the remote function (which now has woken up) to raise the windows fully up. I then unlock the car using the remote and open and then close the drivers door to make sure the car stays unlocked. 

Life can be very complicated owning a Boxster ... simplicity is good.