Boxster 981s trickle charger and how to charge the battery….

Tigerstew

Hi guys

Do you guys have any recommendations as in the brand and model on what trickle charger I would need for my boxster 981s here in the uk?

Also when would a trickle charger need to be used? If the car is not going to driven for 2,3,4,5 weeks?

And does anyone have a video on how to use and place the trickle charger onto the 981s?

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

Ctek MXS 5.0 is the usual choice - you leave them connected whenever you are not using the car as they are a maintenance charger not a trickle charger

Is your car kept in a garage or outside?

It’s kept in a garage……do I just keep it connected to the car even if I’m not using it for say a month?

5 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

It’s kept in a garage……do I just keep it connected to the car even if I’m not using it for say a month?

It won’t do any harm to keep your conditioner connected particularly in cold weather.  Don’t connect the conditioner directly to the terminals on both sides of the battery (the manual explains how to do this) or you’ll bypass the “black box” that helps control the charging regime and do get a conditioner with an agm setting.  I use a NOCO which I’ve found more reliable than the previous CTEK.

8 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Would you guys put a boxster 981 on the car and “agm” setting on the ctex mxs 5.0?

Yes AGM, connect the positive connector to the + terminal of the battery and the negative to the spare stud hole on the n/s strut top mount.

9 hours ago, Tigerstew said:

Would you guys put a boxster 981 on the car and “agm” setting on the ctex mxs 5.0?

I don’t use the AGM setting on my CTEK 5.0 as it seems to throw up a red light. Instead I use the standard setting without any issues, which the manual says is fine to do.

Also I have mine connected to battery and an earthing bolt on the n/s strut tower as per manual. People seem to have issues with the 12v connection in the car with car shutting it off after a period of time.

Edited by Raffe

Either the normal or AGM setting can be used to charge AGM batteries, see the notes in the manual. I’ve used both settings , no issue. I default to the AGM setting.

https://www.ctek.com/storage/5F698282EF11914E368ECD2BA726D2FC8F329CA0DA934C5E86A538F9AC089C23/00000000000000000000000000014050/pdf/media/b92f3bd538ed40b1bc345ee44e44d4fa/MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf

Using the 12v accessory port to charge won’t cause it to shut off, that’s a thing for devices drawing from the port after the car has been locked for a while , not charging via it.

Edited by iborguk

I've used an Optimate 4 connected directly to both terminals of the battery without any issues. At least I hope so! I've got a few of these chargers I use on motorbikes and have found them to be fine. No settings, all automatic. 

42 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Guys is this the right ctex one?

it says ctek mxs 5.0 then a “t” as well, what’s the T mean? Is this the same as one you guys are talking about?

I plug my CTEK 5.0 into the pass. footwell auxiliary socket on my 981, no issues, good luck.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Topbox said:

I plug my CTEK 5.0 into the pass. footwell auxiliary socket on my 981, no issues, good luck.

Is it true that leaving it the footwell auxiliary socket will only last for a certain time before that socket shuts down and u have to connect it to the battery?

38 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Is it true that leaving it the footwell auxiliary socket will only last for a certain time before that socket shuts down and u have to connect it to the battery?

No, it will stay live if connected before the car the car shuts the socket down (a period of time after the doors are locked).

Edited by iborguk

5 minutes ago, Tigerstew said:

Not in my experience. It may be the case if you plug the CTEK in after the car has been parked up for a few hours it will not work, but again, I have not had this happen to me to the best of my memory.

I think the passenger footwell 12v socket shuts down 20 min after car shutdown unless a charge current is detected. If the charger is connected in the 20 min window, the 12v footwell socket stays live 

Edited by moonshine

I plug my CTEC into the socket under the armrest with the comfort connector each time I leave the car, never had a problem with it shutting down.

I used to use the crocodile clips under the frunk the + to the positive side of the battery and - to the wiper linkage (it’s marked with a - symbol) as shown on this video   https://youtu.be/KIaIw3M4dIo?si=ypsWCmaWsIsZnbZ9 but soon got bored 🥱 with taking the black plastic cover on and off. 

It would appear that some 981’s shut down the interior sockets after half an hour. My socket under the armrest stays live permanently it’s a late 2015 build.

Hope this helps 😊