Damn and blast - Boxster S wheels are rubbing on front brake calipers.

kdh

IMG-2274.jpg

I've just spent most of the day switching over my wheels and I've found that the fronts are rubbing on the calipers and preventing the car from moving.

The wheels are:

fronts 6.5J ET55 and they are meant to be for a Boxster S (2004)

I'm wondering if it's the thickness of the caliper paint that's stopping it?

Has anyone had the same problem?

• Sad 1

Thanks, I've had a look at various wheels and I think I have the base wheel from a 987. It looks like my Boxster S wheels should be 7J not 6.5.

Mattman, could I just run 5mm spacers on the front?

Edited by kdh

39 minutes ago, kdh said:

Thanks, I've had a look at various wheels and I think I have the base wheel from a 987. It looks like my Boxster S wheels should be 7J not 6.5.

Mattman, could I just run 5mm spacers on the front?

I wouldn't say for sure - @ATM is the king of trying out different wheels that aren't designed to fit 

• Thanks 1

My winter wheels are 6.5J x 17 ET55 on the front and they are very close to the Caliper on my 2.7. I run them with 5mm spacers on the front. The rears are 8.0J x 17 ET40 which I run with a 7mm spacer. Only 7mm as I already had a set. If you run 5mm all round you can use the standard bolts. 🤙🏻

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kdh said:

Yes I'been a dummy. I thought that as the 6.5 rim was a 55 ET then they would fit.

I'll try some spacers as suggested. Thanks.

Yes 

You need a little 5mm to clear the caliper.

I tried some 987 17 inchers on my 981 [it's an S] and they also needed a 5mm spacer front.

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/80497-rebuilding-my-wreck/?do=findComment&comment=1346008

• Thanks 1

Oh what a palava. I tried some 5mm spacers on today and they cleared the calipers but the 17" wheels didn't give me the ride I was expecting and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between those and the 18's that I swapped them over for. Very disappointed, complete waste of time and energy. I must stop messing about with cars and spend more time lying around watching telly. Thanks for your help guys.👍

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kdh said:

Oh what a palava. I tried some 5mm spacers on today and they cleared the calipers but the 17" wheels didn't give me the ride I was expecting and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between those and the 18's that I swapped them over for. Very disappointed, complete waste of time and energy. I must stop messing about with cars and spend more time lying around watching telly. Thanks for your help guys.👍

17" wheels won't suddenly turn a 986 into a limo ride, but I can certainly feel the difference.  I fit the 17" rims when The Better ½ and I go on a long road trip (or when I want to wear out a bit more of the rubber to stop them getting too old) just for that bit of extra compliance from the slightly deeper tyre sidewall and less un-sprung weight.  Live with it for a bit, then go back to the 18" rims and feel the difference.

Thanks 1/2, on the 993 I used to own, switching to 17" wheels from 18's was night and day in terms of comfort and I guess I was hoping it would be the same with the 986. I put the 18's off the Boxster onto my son's 987 Cayman and there was hardly any difference between them and the original 17's. Slightly rattlier over uneven surfaces but hardly noticeable.

5 hours ago, kdh said:

What tyres on the 18 and the 17 - age and brand and state of wear etc?

I nice new fresh quality set of 18 could feel better than an old set of worn out, cheap and nasty 17.

I agree with 1/2 you should feel the difference. But maybe check the 17 are not over inflated too.

If you are swapping wheel sets between 986 and 987 then don't forget the 987 has a taller aspect ratio/profile. On the 986 the 18" rear is a 35 profile but for a 987 40 profile. 

On the right tyres swapping 17" for 18" on a 986 is quite noticeable to me. 

Edited by edc

Thanks, on my 987 the rear tyres are 50 profile rear and 55 at the front. Ride is good.

Tested them again on the 986 this morning around some roughish roads and there was still no noticeable difference so I've stuck the 18's back on.

I took the 987 out on the 18's and though no difference in ride quality, I found the turn-in slightly sharper but that's all.

Edited by kdh

Are you using the right size tyres on 986 or 987? 

On a 986 rear size is 265/35/18. I'm not 100% sure for 17 but something like 255/45/17. Swapping from one to the other on the same car is noticeable. 

It's not the wheel size per se that makes the difference but the thickness of the tyre wall/aspect ratio/profile. 

To get the 'real' effect you need to be changing 986 18" and 17" wheels not swapping around 986 and 987 as they have different tyre sizes. 

This is a nice little guide - http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

All 17s on 986 wheels are minimum 7" wide.  987s went down to 6.5" minimum.

I haven't noticed any ride quality difference going to 18s but I don't do a lot of miles.

Edited by Daboy3000

59 minutes ago, kdh said:

Thanks, on my 987 the rear tyres are 50 profile rear and 55 at the front. Ride is good.

These sound like the factory spec 17 sizes for the 987. 205 55 front and 235 50 rear. I would be more interested in the speed or load rating as this will command tyre wall stiffness. But if he likes the 18 setup then who are we to judge. Good on him for trying the swap i say. At least he knows what he prefers now. 

Funnily enough, I prefer the ride on the 987 with the 17" Boxster2 wheels and Goodyear tyres, which is why I tried that setup on the 986, but I didn't notice any difference to the 18" Carrera bbs wheels and PS4's . They didn't feel particularly lighter either which was surprising.

Edited by kdh

4 hours ago, edc said:

Are you using the right size tyres on 986 or 987? 

On a 986 rear size is 265/35/18. I'm not 100% sure for 17 but something like 255/45/17. Swapping from one to the other on the same car is noticeable. 

It's not the wheel size per se that makes the difference but the thickness of the tyre wall/aspect ratio/profile. 

To get the 'real' effect you need to be changing 986 18" and 17" wheels not swapping around 986 and 987 as they have different tyre sizes. 

986 17" rear tyre size is 255/40/17.