Grandchild

graham964

I have a 4 year old grandson who wants a ride in granddad's racing car! What are the rules? I assume a front facing childseat is ok if the seat is as far back as possible as I can't turn off the airbag. (There is no switch in my car glove box, apparently it needed to be specified when new).

I think the deactivation switch is specifically for rear facing child seats. I believe there is a weight sensor that disables the airbag if there is under a certain weight.  So in general a child in a forward facing child seat should be fine (as you say just make sure the seat is pushed back.

No weight sensor here that was specific for the US market.

The risk is the airbag striking the child in the face and pushing their neck back. Best to have the seat right back and as high as it can go you would want the child's head to be as high as possible.

Entirely up to you but it might be worth taking him out when he's a little bigger.

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

I read this as I always have, you should disable the airbag for REAR facing seats. 
I believe the interpretation in the original post is correct. 

As to the practical risk, everyone here has their own priorities. Mine is, you’re going round the block a couple of times in quite a new and safe car (have you seen pre-NCAP crash results?!), where I assume you’ll drive carefully and not hammer it down B roads. Child would be more at risk in the back of a 1993 Sierra. Go for it. 

…are your tyres N rated? 
:D 

Thanks everyone for your replies. It will only be a trip around the block in my 981 and I will put the seat as high and far back as possible. 

The world has moved on from when I was a kid in the 60's as I sat on my uncles knee to steer his Zodiac!

The issue here is that Porsche states in the manual that the child needs to weigh 27kg before they can sit upfront without the airbag turned off.

For info not to scare but this is to elaborate on what I said earlier about the importance of positioning in the vehicle. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/coroner-concludes-air-bag-to-blame-in-child-s-death-1.257570

56 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Rhetorically I ask one more question; how many of you have been in collisions where the front airbag has been triggered? Me, never in 40 years. (Shows how boring I am). 

Me, never in 51 yrs but some of those years predate airbags😀