987.2 brake caliper bolts torque value Nm

Sentinel261

23 hours ago, iborguk said:

The tightening torque is 85Nm and by the book the screws are considered one-time use only.

Torque is correct.  That's nonsense about single use really as the weakest link in the set up is the alloy thread of the hub casting.  I'd like to see the technical/engineering justification.  Had mine on and off several times doing the suspension and bits and pieces for 4 years.  I did change them with a full brake overhaul this year though just for thoroughness.  Latest up issued versions have a E12 female Torx head to the bolt, not the old 10mm Allen hex.

Edited by ½cwt

4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Nevertheless that's what Porsche recommend. Same with the bolts anchoring the seats.

At least the seat bolts are steel into steel (I guess seatbelt points are listed as single use too) so vaguely justifiable.  Its not like any of these applications are stretch bolts on a Porsche.  Perhaps it keeps our American cousins happy or something, they can be quite Jurassic in their ways when it comes to engineering and car part homologations.  Also boosts parts department sales...  (am I too cynical???)

Edited by ½cwt

These bolts have now been superseded with 72mm ones. The longer length ones would corrode on the protruding ends in the hub and rip out the threads when removing them. 

If you're re-using the old ones, just chop them down with a grinder, if you have access to one. 

7 minutes ago, The Caped Crusader said:

These bolts have now been superseded with 72mm ones. The longer length ones would corrode on the protruding ends in the hub and rip out the threads when removing them. 

If you're re-using the old ones, just chop them down with a grinder, if you have access to one. 

They are all M12x1.5 x 72mm going back to the 986. Up issued 986 and the 987 part number is 999 073 402 01.  I take the point about the rust and tearing out threads though.  A blind hole in the upright to start with might have served us all better...

20 hours ago, huytonman said:

Be careful with the 10mm bolt that holds the bracket with the brakepipe attached to the strut - they are made from alloy/aluminium and are very easy to break - voice of experience here!

Keith

They are steel, not alloy, just fairly easy to shear if the steel thread has corroded with the alloy hub they screw into.  M6 x 16 hex socket head bolt (Porsche p/n 900 067 117 09).