Window Regulator Recommendation

DR986

Hi - firstly apologies for reporting what may be in previous threads but search functionality on this forum seems like it needs a tune up 🙂

I'm looking for recommendations of window regulators for a 2001 986.   I'd like genuine parts but as I need both sides I'm trying to keep costs down.  I can see on ECP AC Roller and Starline regulators at approx £150 each.    Any other suggestions would be appreciated ?  I don't want to get used ones.

I find it much easier to use google to search the forum, than the time-restricted abacus internal search function. Type in “BoXa.net” and then what you’re looking for seems to work much better.

Example, found using google.

Generally people have found aftermarket units to be problematic if not specifically for a 986 which allows the small window drop to open the doors.  They are often 996 coupe ones and need a stop adding to make the drop work correctly.  Personally when one failed on mine 4 years ago I got a salvage one (from Steve Strange/Douglas Valley Breakers) which was inspected and tested before sale and it is still doing fine. Cost about £35.  So I reckoned I could buy 3 or 4 salvage original ones (and that could be either side) before getting to the price of just one new replacement Porsche one.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Generally people have found aftermarket units to be problematic if not specifically for a 986 which allows the small window drop to open the doors.  They are often 996 coupe ones and need a stop adding to make the drop work correctly.  Personally when one failed on mine 4 years ago I got a salvage one (from Steve Strange/Douglas Valley Breakers) which was inspected and tested before sale and it is still doing fine. Cost about £35.  So I reckoned I could buy 3 or 4 salvage original ones (and that could be either side) before getting to the price of just one new replacement Porsche one.

Even OEM ones are designed to fit both the 996 and 986, they come with a rivet to put in the runner to stop the window earlier.

When I had my 986 I fitted an Aftermarket one on the passenger side and it barely lasted 13 months. Replaced with OEM and the same on the drivers side when it went and had no further issues

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

Even OEM ones are designed to fit both the 996 and 986, they come with a rivet to put in the runner to stop the window earlier.

When I had my 986 I fitted an Aftermarket one on the passenger side and it barely lasted 13 months. Replaced with OEM and the same on the drivers side when it went and had no further issues

But do all the aftermarket ones come with the stop rivet...?  Just a note of caution, or at least something to check.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

Just chiming in here as I was linked above.

I've never done this job on a 986 so no idea about the stop rivet. I did this job twice on my 996 - driver door - because the first cheap pattern part failed within a year. 

I recommend leaving the door card off so you can tweak the clamps for the glass more easily. I don't think you will get the position right first time but you may be lucky.

1 minute ago, ATM said:

Just chiming in here as I was linked above.

I've never done this job on a 986 so no idea about the stop rivet. I did this job twice on my 996 - driver door - because the first cheap pattern part failed within a year. 

I recommend leaving the door card off so you can tweak the clamps for the glass more easily. I don't think you will get the position right first time but you may be lucky.

As I was using a Porsche replacement (salvage) I marked the clamp position onto the glass with a paint pen (you could use masking tape) and aligned to these marks when fitting it on the replacement regulator.  No alignment problem.

• Like 1