Door unlocking-opening problems.

phazed

I am running out of things to do on my car while I await my immobiliser, (that’s another story!) back from being repaired, hopefully.

Drivers door won’t unlock from the outside with the key, (or it could be unlocked) and so will have to be opened from inside the car.

Apparently this is quite common-ish.

Can someone let me know why and what I need to rectify the problem.

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, phazed said:

I am running out of things to do on my car while I await my immobiliser, (that’s another story!) back from being repaired, hopefully.

Drivers door won’t unlock from the outside with the key, (or it could be unlocked) and so will have to be opened from inside the car.

Apparently this is quite common-ish.

Can someone let me know why and what I need to rectify the problem.

Thanks.

Have you (or previous owner)  had the driver's side lock module off the door? There is a 'blade' which links the external lock with the internal lock module so when you turn the key it turns the mechanism of the lock module. It is possible to fail to connect the blade to the lock module when refitting it.

Looks like I will be taking off the door panel tomorrow to have a look. Was just looking for pointers if anyone had these symptoms before. I don’t think I can operate the central locking as I haven’t the immobiliser and I believe this ties everything in.

Will check your idea tomorrow, thanks.

Just now, phazed said:

Looks like I will be taking off the door panel tomorrow to have a look. Was just looking for pointers if anyone had these symptoms before. I don’t think I can operate the central locking as I haven’t the immobiliser and I believe this ties everything in.

It certainly can cause the symptom you describe as it happened to me!

7 hours ago, phazed said:

Be careful peeling back the door membrane and remember the butyl tape to reseal the membrane to the door to avoid water leaks...  Door card clips often commit suicide when you take the door card off too.  For any work on the lock module, small hands are helpful, and there are thin metal edges everywhere.

Edited by ½cwt

Will do. I remember many years ago, employing the hands of my 12-year-old daughter to replace the bulb to my wife’s Renault Megane. There wasn’t a chance of getting mine or any of my sons hands in to replace the bulb.

Well, door lock fixed. Bit of a fingers crossed affair because the metal blade threaded bit had rusted somewhat so threaded contact was minimal. All back together again now and working. if it fails again, I will have to bite the bullet and spend a silly amount of money for what should only be peanuts!

7 hours ago, Jonttt said:

You don’t need to spend silly money 😉

One impressively detailed write up. You must have the patience of a saint, to take all those pics whist ding jobs like that, and then to annotate them all too!