How to remove the boot, “Boxster S” lettering?

phazed

As title. Mine looks scruffy and so wondered if it could be removed successfully for a bit of renovation?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Fishing line or dental floss to cut under the glue, a bit of warmth helps too.  Then polish off the glue residue (If it is really stubborn invest in a 'toffee wheel') and look hard to see if the old lettering left any shadowing in the paint finish due to fading.

After giving the car a quick wash, while it is still on my two post lift, I discovered the, “Boxster S“ badging on the rear, which I thought was very faded  and grubby looking was actually colour coded to the bodywork! I haven’t seen this before on a Boxster and I wonder if this was an option?

ryix5S3.jpeg

16 minutes ago, phazed said:

After giving the car a quick wash, while it is still on my two post lift, I discovered the, “Boxster S“ badging on the rear, which I thought was very faded  and grubby looking was actually colour coded to the bodywork! I haven’t seen this before on a Boxster and I wonder if this was an option?

ryix5S3.jpeg

The badges were silver on both my "regular" 987s which were Atlas Grey/Black cars. I think it's more your exterior car colour matches the badge ;)

Black Edition cars have Black badges, have also seen black badges available separately.

Edited by iborguk

There is a titanium colour for the Boxster badge 986 559 237 01 9A4 and S badge 986 559 243 00 9A4. Chrome are 986 559 237 02 and 986 559 243 01 respectively.  The PET suggest the Chrome was for the '50 years Spyder' only, but they seem pretty common on earlier S models as well, including mine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phazed said:

ryix5S3.jpeg

I agree with cwt - looks titanium to Me

Yep, I reckon titanium. When the car was filthy, I was going to take it off and spray it satin black, but actually I quite like it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Didn’t know titanium was a thing , learn something new etc :)

The original 986 2.5 had a black badge (on all coloured cars, I think, though I don't know what happened on a black car). When the 986S was introduced, it had a titanium badge to differentiate it. Not sure what happened later though, or when the chrome variant arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon61 said:

The original 986 2.5 had a black badge (on all coloured cars, I think, though I don't know what happened on a black car). When the 986S was introduced, it had a titanium badge to differentiate it. Not sure what happened later though, or when the chrome variant arrived.

I have chrome on a 2000 car.  Looks better to me on a silver car than titanium would.  May have been fitted by a PO.

Edited by ½cwt

Like it looks really good in the flesh on silver. Very understated.

unbelievably, I can’t remember what finish the badge is on the back of my RS60! I will have to lift the cover and have a look. 😀

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

I have chrome on a 2000 car.  Looks better to me on a silver car than titanium would.  May have been fitted by a PO.

Titanium on mine - I assume so - it's a 2001

20210711-120851.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1