Wet carpet in passenger footwell

rayan

As I expect is the case for a lot of people, the 986 I bought that was kept in a garage all the time has sprung a leak in the rain we've had recently. 

Noticed it's in the following location and it's holding a decent amount of water as it's quite squelchy when pushed:

xqVdQ46.jpg

Top of the passenger floor mat is dry so suspect it's running in under the carpet, is this going to be front drains? I've given them a clear with a trombone cleaner but I may not have done a good enough job! If it's not the front drains is there any other possible location it could be coming from? If it helps I also park on a fairly sloped driveway so there is a potential that's not helping things. 

To help rule things out, the passenger door card feels dry and behind passenger seat feels dry. If I have time this weekend I'm going to get the wet vacuum on it and potentially look at adapting a tupperware container to sit the under seat module in. 

1 minute ago, rayan said:

To help rule things out, the passenger door card feels dry and behind passenger seat feels dry. If I have time this weekend I'm going to get the wet vacuum on it and potentially look at adapting a tupperware container to sit the under seat module in. 

I have often wondered why the electrical unit could not be cable tied onto the base of the seat, hanging in the air, and therefore at least removing its soakability by a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Dry out your under seat module pronto. Use old towels to soak up water. Corrosion of electronics can cost you 600 quid or more. 

Luckily it's not reached the module yet, under the seat is nice and dry so it's more of a preventative measure. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I have often wondered why the electrical unit could not be cable tied onto the base of the seat, hanging in the air, and therefore at least removing its soakability by a little bit.

Good point, might see if that's viable or if it's going to be a case of butchering a container and getting out the silicone sealant.

Think I might reverse it onto the driveway as well to prevent it soaking down towards the module.

Edited by rayan

I had a leak in the 718 a few years ago. Removed the offending carpets (on the 981 and 718 they are two seperate sections). Hung in a hot greenhouse, they took about 4 days to drip dry. The foam holds a LOT of water.

3 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I had a leak in the 718 a few years ago. Removed the offending carpets (on the 981 and 718 they are two seperate sections). Hung in a hot greenhouse, they took about 4 days to drip dry. The foam holds a LOT of water.

Yeah as it felt very wet I'm fairly sure it's going to be a carpet out job, it got rained on almost non-stop for the whole of last week so chances are there's quite a bit getting in.

• Like 1

If the front of the car is lower than the rear on the drive, this could easily be the rear drains I feel. Check the foam tray too (where the roof stores when dropped,) for any damage/holes. My 986 used to leak a bit in super heavy rain ( only on holidays) as it was garaged at home. Never did trace the the point of entry. Can be a frustrating task. 

35 minutes ago, rayan said:

As I expect is the case for a lot of people, the 986 I bought that was kept in a garage all the time has sprung a leak in the rain we've had recently. 

Noticed it's in the following location and it's holding a decent amount of water as it's quite squelchy when pushed:

xqVdQ46.jpg

Top of the passenger floor mat is dry so suspect it's running in under the carpet, is this going to be front drains? I've given them a clear with a trombone cleaner but I may not have done a good enough job! If it's not the front drains is there any other possible location it could be coming from? If it helps I also park on a fairly sloped driveway so there is a potential that's not helping things. 

That’s your AC drain causing that 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

That’s your AC drain causing that 

Just checked a video and yeah that definitely could be it, likely from the top of the drain tube as there's a wet patch right from where that is. 

Would make the most sense as there is no water pooling in the front scuttle. 

Time to pull the carpet up and have a look! 

1 hour ago, rayan said:

Just checked a video and yeah that definitely could be it, likely from the top of the drain tube as there's a wet patch right from where that is. 

Would make the most sense as there is no water pooling in the front scuttle. 

Time to pull the carpet up and have a look! 

Get underneath the car and ensure that you can see the drain and try and unblock it

24 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Get underneath the car and ensure that you can see the drain and try and unblock it

Will probably have to wait for the weekend to get at it from underneath, might have a look to make sure the top of it hasn't split or broken today. 

I'd be tempted to run the trombone cleaner down it but I'm cautious that might make more mess.

There is a pipe from the ac drain right where that leak is.  Lift up the carpet and you will see it and where it should be going.

This was the state of mine, unfortunately the pipe was not the problem and I still have a leak from under the dash.
53526763283_0640b723c9_c.jpg

16 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

There is a pipe from the ac drain right where that leak is.  Lift up the carpet and you will see it and where it should be going.

This was the state of mine, unfortunately the pipe was not the problem and I still have a leak from under the dash.
53526763283_0640b723c9_c.jpg

I'm expecting to find similar! 

Is it a massive hassle pulling the carpet just on this section? From what I've seen it's taped (or something to the other side but there isn't a huge amount holding it in.

As mentioned by others you might be wise to remove the entire carpet to gain access to the foam underlay which holds alot of water.....

If left the sensitive immobiliser module under the passenger seat could create all kinds of issues leaving your vehicle inoperative.

10 minutes ago, rayan said:

I'm expecting to find similar! 

Is it a massive hassle pulling the carpet just on this section? From what I've seen it's taped (or something to the other side but there isn't a huge amount holding it in.

I think my carpet has been up a few times, the underlay is very broken up and mostly stuck to the bottom of the carpet.  If you remove the side piece attached to the centre console you might find you can lift enough up to get to the wet.  If you want to go crazy then it would be seats and centre console out, then the whole carpet will come out easily.

Just now, Daboy3000 said:

I think my carpet has been up a few times, the underlay is very broken up and mostly stuck to the bottom of the carpet.  If you remove the side piece attached to the centre console you might find you can lift enough up to get to the wet.  If you want to go crazy then it would be seats and centre console out, then the whole carpet will come out easily.

Thanks! Will have a look and see how stubborn it wants to be a bit later. Just going to try and get to the source of the leak and get it sorted for the moment and try to pull as much water out as possible. 

Think I'll save the full carpet out for when it's a bit less wet out so I can properly clean it and get it dried. 

10 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

As mentioned by others you might be wise to remove the entire carpet to gain access to the foam underlay which holds alot of water.....

If left the sensitive immobiliser module under the passenger seat could create all kinds of issues leaving your vehicle inoperative.

Luckily it's not made it that far yet so the section under the seat is dry, going to take some precautions though to make sure it doesn't become expensive. Unfortunately don't have anywhere I can leave the carpet to dry with all the rain we're getting so it's going to be a wet vacuum, dehumidifier and towels to get by until it's a little warmer. 

I have just had exactly this with the 986 I bought. I knew it had been leaking, so was prepared. After putting a dehumidifier in the car for a couple of weeks the carpet seemed bone dry. After 3 months working on the car in the garage. I thought I would lift the carpet edge and check the underlay. Unbelievably, it was absolutely sodden! It was probably holding 1 – 2 pints of water as the foam soundproofing/underlay is about 2 inches thick. 
Also, having just spent a fortune having the immobilizer diagnosed, an exchange unit purchased and programming of new keys, and unit to the car, don’t delay!

I would definitely remove the passenger seat, unplug the immobilizer, and put it in an airing cupboard or similar to ensure it is completely dry. Next remove the carpet. You could make your life easier if you release the center console screws, lift up the rear and the front slightly to gain access to the center of the carpet and cut along the center joint which is only in a few areas because of the handbrake, gear change and remote mechanism. You can then remove the passenger side carpet, easing it out from under various trims. It is very doable and doesn’t take long. When you have removed it, you will see just how thick it is and how much water it more likely is retaining . My carpet was so wet even after being in a garage for 3 months that I strapped it foam side to a radiator for about best part of a week. It took that long to dry out! Hopefully your immobilizer isn’t damaged otherwise it can cost you north of 1000 pounds for repairs  or replacement.  

Here endeth my costly experience!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It hooks in place on 2 or 3 lugs along the front bulkhead and is tapped to the cover at the bottom of the A-pillar.  It is easier to remove if the centre console and seat are out as it 'gives' more not being pinned in by them.  You will also be able to check the alarm module area better without the seat in.  Just don't snag the seat loom, make sure you undo the wiring harness to the under side (and the seats are heavy).  Bolts need a female Torx socket (E12 IIRC).  10mm 12 point can do it but if the bolts are stiff you risk burring the splines off with one of those. 

Edited by ½cwt

As above. A real easy job with the correct tools. The seats actually weigh 28 KG each!  Ensure you put the roof down first to make it easy to remove.

I may have missed a post above but make sure the rear roof drains are clear. My car had a massive hand sized mushroom growth, completely blocking up and growing into the drain.

19 minutes ago, phazed said:

I have just had exactly this with the 986 I bought. I knew it had been leaking, so was prepared. After putting a dehumidifier in the car for a couple of weeks the carpet seemed bone dry. After 3 months working on the car in the garage. I thought I would lift the carpet edge and check the underlay. Unbelievably, it was absolutely sodden! It was probably holding 1 – 2 pints of water as the foam soundproofing/underlay is about 2 inches thick. 
Also, having just spent a fortune having the immobilizer diagnosed, an exchange unit purchased and programming of new keys, and unit to the car, don’t delay!

I would definitely remove the passenger seat, unplug the immobilizer, and put it in an airing cupboard or similar to ensure it is completely dry. Next remove the carpet. You could make your life easier if you release the center console screws, lift up the rear and the front slightly to gain access to the center of the carpet and cut along the center joint which is only in a few areas because of the handbrake, gear change and remote mechanism. You can then remove the passenger side carpet, easing it out from under various trims. It is very doable and doesn’t take long. When you have removed it, you will see just how thick it is and how much water it more likely is retaining . My carpet was so wet even after being in a garage for 3 months that I strapped it foam side to a radiator for about best part of a week. It took that long to dry out! Hopefully your immobilizer isn’t damaged otherwise it can cost you north of 1000 pounds for repairs  or replacement.  

Here endeth my costly experience!

I foresee this weekend being extremely fun! Bit annoyed as the carpets were all dry when I bought it even if I gave them a proper push. 

It hadn't been used much in the past couple of years so expecting that a couple of weeks of constant usage with the A/C on all the time has definitely not helped things.

Definitely going to do something to protect the module even if I don't get a chance to get the carpet out just to buy extra time. 

16 minutes ago, phazed said:

As above. A real easy job with the correct tools. The seats actually weigh 28 KG each!  Ensure you put the roof down first to make it easy to remove.

I may have missed a post above but make sure the rear roof drains are clear. My car had a massive hand sized mushroom growth, completely blocking up and growing into the drain.

Went over all the normal drains with a trombone cleaner and then tested they worked weekend before last so fairly happy with the state of those, going to fit some of the 987 drain guards when I next get the roof down. 

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It hooks in place on 2 or 3 lugs along the front bulkhead and is tapped to the cover at the bottom of the A-pillar.  It is easier to remove if the centre console and seat are out as it 'gives' more not being pinned in by them.  You will also be able to check the alarm module area better without the seat in.  Just don't snag the seat loom, make sure you undo the wiring harness to the under side (and the seats are heavy).  Bolts need a female Torx socket (E12 IIRC).  10mm 12 point can do it but if the bolts are stiff you risk burring the splines off with one of those. 

Thanks! I've got a set of E bits from when I had to do a load of work on a BMW so they'll come in handy! 

Had a quick look while I was on my lunch break, got the foam/rubber panel off and pulled up a small bit of carpet. Drain pipe and the area where it drains out were both dry so that's good, also checked the state of the rubber 90 degree hose and that felt dry but I've not driven it today so can't be sure. Did notice some water droplets on the metal bulkhead above/behind the black box with the drain hose connected to it. Gave up as it's raining and I didn't fancy getting myself and the car soaked.

100% see what you guys mean regarding the carpet! I didn't get very far before the centre console started stopping me.

carpet removed prior to drying out and empty passenger side showing floor.

znpV3hC.jpeg

If you feel above the black tray/foam on the passengers side, under the dash, attached to the bulkhead, you should feel some sponge like material.  Is this wet?

Is your windscreen delaminating in the corners?

I am wondering if we happen to have the same problem.

So far I have cleared the drains, replaced both drip trays under the clamshell, replaced the drivers door membrane, replaced a missing 55mm grommet in bulkhead, replaced the seal that covers the heater matrix/coolant pipes, yet I still have two leaks.  (one is through the drivers side window and i am hoping some adjustment to the window might fix this).  

I am at my wits end! 😪

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, phazed said:

carpet removed prior to drying out and empty passenger side showing floor.

znpV3hC.jpeg

Looks like the water on mine is fairly localised to the little triangle section by the drain pipe. Obviously longer it gets left the more it's going to soak the foam and fill the other sections though. Really not looking forward to addressing it! 

5 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

If you feel above the black tray/foam on the passengers side, under the dash, attached to the bulkhead, you should feel some sponge like material.  Is this wet?

Is your windscreen delaminating in the corners?

I am wondering if we happen to have the same problem.

So far I have cleared the drains, replaced both drip trays under the clamshell, replaced the drivers door membrane, replaced a missing 55mm grommet in bulkhead, replaced the seal that covers the heater matrix/coolant pipes, yet I still have two leaks.  (one is through the drivers side window and i am hoping some adjustment to the window might fix this).  

I am at my wits end! 😪

I'll need to hop back out and check the spongey material, luckily I've left the foam panel off so should be an easy thing to check.

Windscreen is in good shape with no delamination in the corners. 

It does seem these leaks get a little bit annoying, I wouldn't mind if it was sunny and warm! I'm hoping when I have a closer look at the drain pipe it's leaking from there but usually when it comes to things like this it's never as simple as it should be.