Finally fixed the leak? updated

Daboy3000

On 3/14/2024 at 2:07 PM, RedBarediver said:

Wow, that really is one of the very first. Mine is a 98 and has both airbags.

Anyhoo, I'll try to share some pics of the process. 

IMG_5073 IMG_5071 IMG_5091 IMG_5081 6FF3EC36-493E-4CB6-9A6E-1C453A910C59 (1) IMG_5093

I'll take some more pictures of the completed product once I get some time. I didn't take many pics of the installation process as the lighting was cr*p and I was busy.

And theirs me, worrying about how to take the centre console out!

• Haha 1

Well, I replaced the unsatisfactory dash with one that I got from Status Porsche. The install took me about 2.5 to 3 hrs because I was slow and careful. Fitted the last bits this morning (heating hoses and various little bits of trim) and took it for a drive. I was expecting some rattles and squeaks to be honest as this is really the first time I have ever done a job on a dashboard (of any car). To my surprise (and delight) the new dash is rock solid and doesn't vibrate, squeak or anything. It's still a little dirty (as is the whole car) so I'm planning on cleaning it properly when the rain lets up and will share pictures for everyone's enjoyment. I have already fitted a black fuse box cover piece (got one for a tenner) and am waiting for the rest of the black carpets to arrive so I can complete the colour change. I still have to get hold of some nice door cards and I'm not terribly happy with the vents on the side (they look a bit more dark-grey than black). I guess they looked black when compared to the original grey dash but when you put them next to a black dash you can see the difference. It doesn't distract from my enjoyment of the black dash though. I think it looks really good.

I was planning on changing the right hand side vent in any case (it's tatty and doesn't really work properly - some superglue to try and save it didn't help matters) but now I'll just change both.

My central locking button stopped working - it would lock when you press the switch but when you try to unlock the switch doesn't move. It's a rocker switch so obviously something was wrong inside. Opened it up and a little piece of white plastic fell out. Somehow (maybe due to my ham-handedness with stuff) a piece of the thing broke and ended up jamming the one side. Took it out and it works properly again. But now of course my OCD won't rest until I've replaced that switch so a second-hand replacement is on the way.

Lastly, if anyone has a spare OBD bracket, please let me know. I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands. Somehow, during all this mine went AWOL and it's not anywhere in the garage or the car.

@Daboy3000 How are you getting on with yours? Need a hand?

Edited by RedBarediver

Try some Polytrol on the vents if you have some for the outside plastics.  Helps restore original plastics colours, lots of people on here have used it for scuttle plastics, mirror triangles, engine intake slats etc on the outside.  Might work well on inside parts too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

@Daboy3000 How are you getting on with yours? Need a hand?

Good to hear it went well for you.

I am just restoring the dash I bought.  It's just having a final coat.  Still waiting for the dial cover to arrive.  

It's looking really nice now and I want let it cure for a while before it goes in. Had the MOT this week too, so thought it best to start after that.  Probably aim for the Easter Hols as I am off for a bit.

I think the removal of the dash is going to be the easy part, it's the removal of the bonded panel I'm not looking forward to.  Thanks for the offer!!

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Try some Polytrol on the vents if you have some for the outside plastics.  Helps restore original plastics colours, lots of people on here have used it for scuttle plastics, mirror triangles, engine intake slats etc on the outside.  Might work well on inside parts too.

I have some in the garage so will give it a go. The right hand side does need to be changed though. I'll keep an eye out for a black one.

On 3/14/2024 at 12:03 PM, Daboy3000 said:

both drip trays for the roof,

Can you tell me where to find these please?

I have done 4 drains in the front boot and two under the rear of the roof but I still have water under the passenger seat. Are there others in the front of the roof?

19 minutes ago, kdh said:

Can you tell me where to find these please?

I have done 4 drains in the front boot and two under the rear of the roof but I still have water under the passenger seat. Are there others in the front of the roof?

I think I am going to do a water leak guide at some point!

This guy has a guide to changing them.  I did both (at separate times) on my own without removing the roof.  But if you have another pair of hands then I would just take the whole thing off as you have to take out all the bolts anyway.

Are you sure it's not coming in through the door seal, I had/have a leak that's doing that.

I've decided that I am going to try and seal it in place using the correct sealant and waterproof tape.  After speaking to a few people, not only is it going to be extremely difficult to get the whole panel out, as well as time consuming,  but I also I might break something else.  I seem to have fixed it with roof sealant temporarily, so this gives me hope that with the dash out I can seal it well enough to last.

Drains everywhere. 2 under the clam shell. Small ones either side. Drains under the spoiler. These seem to get missed. Mine where blocked with shyatee. Will give you a wet boot if unlucky. As mentioned, door membranes are a favourite. Check for dampness at the bottom of door card. Window seal on doors tend to go a bit hard and need revitilising. The list is pretty much endless. 😶

Thanks, how do you get to the ones under the spoiler? On my 987 I've put the spoiler up but can't see any. I've poured water into the spoiler holes and it pours into the boot.

13 minutes ago, kdh said:

Thanks, how do you get to the ones under the spoiler? On my 987 I've put the spoiler up but can't see any. I've poured water into the spoiler holes and it pours into the boot.

34 minutes ago, kdh said:

Thanks for the above.

I'm still none the wiser!

On the 986 it's pretty simple to remove the spoiler.  If the 987 is the same maybe if you remove it you might be able to see the holes.  I've looked online and can't find any photos.

1 hour ago, kdh said:

Pictures are towards the end of this thread. A series of small holes that you’ll see when the spoiler is raised.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Drains everywhere. 2 under the clam shell. Small ones either side.

Are you referring to these? (Clearing out with trombone cleaner)

PXL_20240320_183054476

Any idea where these drain to?

The foam drip trays have a tube that emerges near the rear 'mudflaps'.

22 hours ago, kdh said:

Didn’t realise you were talking about a 987. On my 986 facelift they are either side in the channel. Raise the spoiler and they are there.

Edited by Fat Rat

20 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

PXL_20240320_183054476

Can’t remember. Will find out soon when I do a drain clean and check. 😂🤙🏻

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2024 at 5:58 PM, K.I.T.T. said:

PXL_20240320_183054476

I did mine today.  It drains behind the little removable plastic section in front of the rear wheels.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that was a job and a half.

Removing the dashboard was the easy bit, getting the heater box out was the hardest part, you would never think that you would have to take the wipers off and that's just the start.  There were times when I just sat in the car looking at the mess and everything missing, my brain just wanted to shut down!

I used a combination of Wurth sealant and waterproof tape to seal the panel, there was no way I was going to try and take that out.  Putting it all back together was mostly easier, although I did get to the point where everything minus the stereo and centre console was back in, before realising that the alarm thing on the dash had the wiring coming out of the wrong opening and had to completely remove everything again, just to be able to pull the dash forward an inch and re route the cable.

Couple of heavy downpours and so far so good, no more leak and no more cover.  Also having the leather dash is so much nicer than the textured vinyl, the car even smells more expensive.  

53661325255_b297193914_h.jpg

53661166985_86ec7bceec_h.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Daboy3000 changed the title to Finally fixed the leak? updated

Parents had a Megane-based Kangoo, parked it under trees. I mentioned leaves then googled it, apparently when leaves block a Megane's drains at the front you need to do the above, dismantle the entire dash and centre console.

Great job, you must feel quite intimate with that car by now!

10 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Great job, you must feel quite intimate with that car by now!

If by "intimate" you mean bend over the table and feked up the ar*e, then yeah! 

• Haha 1