Finally fixed the leak? updated

Daboy3000

So as some of you may know I have been leak hunting for about six months.  Replacing the heater matrix cover, the door membranes, both drip trays for the roof, clearing all drains, adjusting the doors, reviving the rubbers, you name it.  But one was still persisting, right under the dash on the passenger's side .

Well the good news is I have finally found it.  The bad news is that the fix requires taking the dashboard out!

The seal around the blanking plate in the front bulkhead has given in and I think taking it out and re-sealing it will fix it, but what a job, without a garage too!   If anyone has any tips or solutions please let me know, It quite a daunting job and something I am not looking forward to doing.

53587062223_7475c37456_c.jpg

53587165249_496abaae19_c.jpg

Edited by Daboy3000

Depends on your level of dedication - I would personally be getting my silicone sealant gun out and go nuts, also trying to find the top of that seal (assuming that photo is from underneath) and doing the same there. I recently fixed a water leak on my daughter's Aygo with the same haphazard, cowboy (but successful) style... 🙂 

I've no idea how hard taking the dash out is but I'd imagine it has potential for creating a whole load of new problems?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Tactical mastic won't save it?

@RedBarediver is looking at swapping his dash, not sure if that means taking it out or just lifting the covering off and leaving the rest in situ.

I would take the dashboard out. It's a fairly easy job - it just looks very daunting. Once you get stuck in you'll be surprised at how easy it actually is. There is a channel on YouTube called Porsche DIY and the guy shows the process over the course of two videos. I watched them a few times and then got stuck in on Sunday morning in the pouring rain. Took about two hours or so to get the whole thing out (It may have been a bit longer) but I had to do it with the hardtop on. I had put the roof down hoping for a dry day and of course once the battery is disconnected the roof stays down.. Luckily I have a hardtop so I just put that on and cracked on with the job. I put the new dashboard (actually an old dashboard) in on the same day and just couldn't finish it off because the attachment points for the speedo binnacle is AWOL - bit naughty of the seller to disguise the fact but as always with eBay it's Buyer Beware so I guess it's my fault too.  So jury-rigging something to get the speedo to stay on for the MOT took some time. Last night I finished off with the windscreen trims and vents, and speakers. Now it just needs a good clean as the whole cabin is filthy with the little bits of foam that came out of the vents.

I am not entirely happy with the job because - the dash is a facelift with the glovebox, but has no glovebox - so that will be an extra cost, and also because of the issue with the speedo binnacle. I may look for another, better condition dash and do the work again. Now that I know how it should take no more than a day to do the whole thing. I am glad I did it because it was a great learning experience and it gave me an opportunity to remove the crappy Halfords wiring for the dashcam and the even more awful digital antenna they had installed.

Also, with the dashboard out you can check the whole of the seal and make sure you address any other potential leaks. Easy job to do on the driveway. Just take it slow and for heaven's sake be careful around the stalks on the steering wheel. I didn't take mine off but I was super super careful because they break easily and they cost a fortune to replace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am thinking of changing my dash to a leather one while i'm there.  Is that what you did @RedBarediver? Can't find any non airbag ones, did they even do any in leather on the early cars?

Tried some roofing sealant @Menoporsche it just finds a way in further up and the dash is in the way to seal the whole thing.

MOT next week, then I will start tearing the car apart, again.

36 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Apparently you two are in the same county, so I can see a visit might be on the cards :) 

I'm happy to help but I'm a little swamped at the moment. Waiting for my black carpets to arrive and then I'll start changing the carpets out. I also have to change the thermostat on the 147 and service the Boxster before the MOT. @Daboy3000 feel free to give me a shout if you get stuck. (I doubt you'll need any help though)

• Like 1

Just now, Daboy3000 said:

I am thinking of changing my dash to a leather one while i'm there.  Is that what you did @RedBarediver? Can't find any non airbag ones, did they even do any in leather on the early cars?

Tried some roofing sealant @Menoporsche it just finds a way in further up and the dash is in the way to seal the whole thing.

MOT next week, then I will start tearing the car apart, again.

Yeah I was looking for a leather one but the closest I could find in my price range is a "leatherette" ie smooth vinyl. I am now looking at another dash (that has intact speedo mounting points) but at least I have the airbag already so that saves a few pounds.

6 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I'm thinking of buying this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304798217005

I guess I will just buy an airbag cover for the passenger side and attach it some how.

I just took out a grey one. It's not leather but its in WAAAAYYY better shape than the one in the link. I removed it because I changed to black seats and then decided I want to change everything to black. Plus I have the correct airbag for it too.

Edited by RedBarediver

1 minute ago, RedBarediver said:

I just took out a grey one. It's not leather but its in WAAAAYYY better shape than the one in the link. I removed it because I changed to black seats and then decided I want to change everything to black. Plus I have the correct airbag for it too.

My one is mint too but I really want leather.  I have dyed my seats from red so It won't be hard to make that old dash look like new.

Thanks for the help in the PMs too, I think I have everything I need but will shout if I get stuck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

My one is mint too but I really want leather.  I have dyed my seats from red so It won't be hard to make that old dash look like new.

Thanks for the help in the PMs too, I think I have everything I need but will shout if I get stuck.

No worries. You can remove the airbag cover and change it for a different one. Once you have the airbag out you'll see what I mean.

6 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

No worries. You can remove the airbag cover and change it for a different one. Once you have the airbag out you'll see what I mean.

Don't even have an airbag in the dash currently, the very first models didn't have one.  I just have one in the steering wheel.

7 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Don't even have an airbag in the dash currently, the very first models didn't have one.  I just have one in the steering wheel.

Wow, that really is one of the very first. Mine is a 98 and has both airbags.

Anyhoo, I'll try to share some pics of the process. 

IMG_5073 IMG_5071 IMG_5091 IMG_5081 6FF3EC36-493E-4CB6-9A6E-1C453A910C59 (1) IMG_5093

I'll take some more pictures of the completed product once I get some time. I didn't take many pics of the installation process as the lighting was cr*p and I was busy.

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 2

@Daboy3000 I do a lot of my stuff on the driveway too - and I borrowed and then bought a decent gazebo to keep off the rain - its just saves the oh sh!t moment when the roof is in service mode with the battery off and you see the first drops of rain from the dark grey sky!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

@Daboy3000 I do a lot of my stuff on the driveway too - and I borrowed and then bought a decent gazebo to keep off the rain - its just saves the oh sh!t moment when the roof is in service mode with the battery off and you see the first drops of rain from the dark grey sky!

Me too. I try to avoid disconnecting the battery when the roof is open or in service position.  Allows a quicker response!  I also check the forecast.

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Me too. I try to avoid disconnecting the battery when the roof is open or in service position.  Allows a quicker response!  I also check the forecast.

I think I will just knock off the ball joints and make the roof manual while I do the work.  I can imagine it's a lot easier with the roof down but without the battery I can't put it back up if I don't get it all done in a day.

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Wow, this was news to me, like redbarediver's, my 1998 car also had one (ie two!). Obviously you're in a position to know for real, but I have a 8/96 Boxster brochure (from when I ordered my first one - I didn't get it for nearly 18 months though) and that says: "As Porsche was the first manufacturer to equip its vehicles with two airbags as standard the Boxster has of course two full-size airbags". I saw the launch car at the 1996 motor show, but I must admit I can't remember how many airbags that had.

I know yours is a particularly early car and I think you've speculated whether it may have been a demo model - I wonder if by any chance it's actually a sort of pre-production model with a different spec. In which case, trying to find another dashboard to fit may be pretty tricky!

And well done @RedBarediver for taking on what looks like a daunting job, but assuring us it's quite doable! :thumbsup_anim:

Wow, that is some impressive diy on the dashboard. I have tackled the job a couple of times with my old TVRs but that was a few screws, a bit of friction and plenty of araldite! That looks complicated and good potential for rattles. 

12 hours ago, Boxob said:

Just a suggestion, consider swapping out the ignition switch whilst the dash it out! 

Yes, I agree. It's a pain to do with the dashboard in the car. With the dashboard out it's the easiest thing in the world. My ignition switch is mostly fine (sometimes a bit sticky) and I do think I'll do the dashboard work again (still not happy with that speedo binnacle) and then I'll just do that as well. I plan to change the carpets for black (once the new ones arrive) and will probably do the whole thing again. 

At least this time I know what I'm doing! :)

1 hour ago, RedBarediver said:

Yes, I agree. It's a pain to do with the dashboard in the car. With the dashboard out it's the easiest thing in the world. My ignition switch is mostly fine (sometimes a bit sticky) and I do think I'll do the dashboard work again (still not happy with that speedo binnacle) and then I'll just do that as well. I plan to change the carpets for black (once the new ones arrive) and will probably do the whole thing again. 

At least this time I know what I'm doing! :)

Amazing how much easier jobs are second time around...

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:31 PM, Boxstercol said:

I admire your dedication.

I think I would have bodged it 😂😂😂

You’ll be chasing rattles now instead of drips!

I'm actually considering doing this to find rattles! Amazing how little rattles and squeaks get louder after you've fixed the major suspension ones!