Roof problem:

Paul Harper

The plastic ball joint snapped on one side, fortunately I ordered some a few months back from Amazon as I thought they would break sooner or later. After replacing it the other one then snapped. This one will not stay on and is coming off every time the roof operates. The ones I bought are not OEM so am thinking are they coming off because of this. Obviously I can order a pair again from Amazon but OEM ones, would this sort it out, do they fit better?
There is another issue. The nut has come loose on the other side of the ball and I can’t see a way of tightening it due to there being no space, any ideas?
Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Paul Harper said:

The plastic ball joint snapped on one side, fortunately I ordered some a few months back from Amazon as I thought they would break sooner or later. After replacing it the other one then snapped. This one will not stay on and is coming off every time the roof operates. The ones I bought are not OEM so am thinking are they coming off because of this. Obviously I can order a pair again from Amazon but OEM ones, would this sort it out, do they fit better?
There is another issue. The nut has come loose on the other side of the ball and I can’t see a way of tightening it due to there being no space, any ideas?
Thanks.

The nut is a very slim nut and acts in a captive fashion and you will struggle with a normal nut.  

The ball sockets snapping is telling you something is not right in the roof system. 

• Like 1

You can’t buy OEM, sadly Porsche only sell them on the metal arms. Try a different eBay supplier. But yes, if repeated snapping there is a problem elsewhere. 

51 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

The nut is a very slim nut and acts in a captive fashion and you will struggle with a normal nut.  

The ball sockets snapping is telling you something is not right in the roof system. 

Yes it is a real struggle! Not sure how I get round this. They aren’t snapping anymore just coming off the ball every time the roof is operated.

26 minutes ago, Paul Harper said:

Yes it is a real struggle! Not sure how I get round this. They aren’t snapping anymore just coming off the ball every time the roof is operated.

Try winding them two turns or four turns in one direction, try again? See if they pop earlier or stay on?

When I fitted two new ball ends to my daughter’s and my car last year, I thought I would get the fittings in exactly the right spot if at all possible. Yes, it is difficult to see what you are doing but there is a point when you wind the roof up before the cover closes at the rear that you can get in, unbolt the adjuster, clip on the ball joint and tighten the arm at the correct length. I did this on both cars and never had them pop off again.

it is awkward, and it needs looking at carefully while operating the roof to see what direction the motors are going, and where the final point is at maximum or minimum length before you adjust the pushrod. Very doable, just takes a bit of patience.

Just now, Paul Harper said:

Thanks for that, I’m going to have to spend some time getting it right. I did mark the thread with tape but it’s obviously not spot on.

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Try winding them two turns or four turns in one direction, try again? See if they pop earlier or stay on?

Ok, I’ll give that a go. Thank you.

Ah; do check that one of the arms isn’t bent.  IIRC that happens more often than you’d think. Can try by eye or can unbolt both and put them on a flat surface, see if they aren’t symmetrical.