Windscreen washers stopped working

Porschevirgin1968

Afternoon all, first glorious day to get the car out and the roof down and my windcsreen washers decide to pack up, anyone know which fuse it is forst off, before I start throwing money at it! I did get the car out and the roof down also cleaned up the front lights, now look like new. So the fun begins. 

When mine stopped working it was because a connector had split under the hood and water was just squirting out there just behind the battery. Can you hear the motor whirring?

I read that it's a fairly common problem and easy to swap out the pump. The challenge is that its located at the back of the front wing behind the inner wheel arch.

Quite a few guides online on how to replace.

Edited by Mattman42

3 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

I read that it's a fairly common problem and easy to swap out the pump. The challenge is that its located at the back of the front wing behind the inner wheel arch.

Quite a few guides online on how to replace.

Funnily enough just googled it, let's hope it stays dry cause I can't work on the car in the garage it's too tight, I'm off work all week, so fingers crossed it stays dry. 

29 minutes ago, Porschevirgin1968 said:

It did flash up with a message the last time I was in the car saying wiper sensor fault, I have the auto wipers. Wipers work fine but no washers for headlights or to windscreen. I'm guessing it's strip down. The car that is 🤣

I would advise you not to start stripping the arch out just yet Sir.

You have two pumps, one for the windscreen and one of the headlights AFAIK. I have stripped a couple down on 987's but I am more of a 986 guy.

If neither pump can be heard, it will be electrical. Don't forget though that the lights have to be on I think for the headlight washer system to work. 

8 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

I would advise you not to start stripping the arch out just yet Sir.

You have two pumps, one for the windscreen and one of the headlights AFAIK. I have stripped a couple down on 987's but I am more of a 986 guy.

If neither pump can be heard, it will be electrical. Don't forget though that the lights have to be on I think for the headlight washer system to work. 

Yeah I've tried with the headlights on, my old Z4 had headlamp washers they only worked every 3rd time you used the normal washers and headlights had to be on. Will have a look around tomorrow, today the weather was just too good not to get out and drive with the roof down and listen to that sports exhaust when it hits over 4k revs 😁

18 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Dunno about the 987.1 but on the 987.2 there is a switch on the underside of the wiper stalk to work the headlight washers instantly rather than wait for the 10th pull

I just found that button too. Headlight washers working 👍, 1 down 1 to go.