987.2 Boxster head lining not seating correctly

Gramps

Noticed the other day that my 987.2 Boxster roof wasn't seating inside the beading on the drivers side. A common problem and it was easily resolved in my case by just unscrewing the torx screw that secures the elastic to the frame and just using one of the slots in the elastic a couple of holes along.
However when I closed the roof and took a bit more notice on the inside I saw that the inner head liner wasn't seating correctly at shoulder height on both sides either.
I think the main issue is there is again an elasticated tension cord that runs from near the seatbelt mounting at the bottom (see picture with the securing screw about to come out) to the top of the 1st section of the roof (still not been able to see exactly how it is fastened there but there appears to be a loop so it may hook over something??
So it looks like that elasticated tension cord may need to be replaced as it has clearly lost some of it's elasticity, so 1st question, does anyone know that part number? I've been unable to find it on the parts PDFs I've got, well so far at least. I've temporarily made a small loop in the cord and put a few stitches through it to effectively shorten it which seems to work for now.
Secondly I noticed there are another couple of elastic sections (one either side) attached to the bottom corner of the inner liner nearest the rear on both sides and they have both become detached from whatever thay were attached to in the 1st place (see pics taken from the rear with roof in service mode). Again I have not been able to see where they may have attached to in the 1st instance. Can anyone throw any light on this for me?
TIA....Rob

Looks like quite  a lot of damage to elastic and cords in there.  Have you have the plastic ball ends on the roof mechanism break at any time?

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like quite  a lot of damage to elastic and cords in there.  Have you have the plastic ball ends on the roof mechanism break at any time?

No, nothing popped so far, luckily. Roof has been working fine till just recently when I noticed the outer lining wasn't seating properly. Like I said, once that was easilly sorted I happened to notice the interior lining had issues as well. Happy to leave as it is as it's not an issue in any way but obviously would like to sort it. I just can't work out where these other parts of elastic are supposed to attach to. I'm hoping that if no-one actually has an answer then some obliging forum member may just take a look at theirs and let me know 😁 . Looks like it should be a relatively easy and cheap fix. Obviously all the elastics are of the same age and will be at the nd of their working lives, just need to get them sorted. TIA everyone 👍

5 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed posted this. My 987.2 needs the exact same.

Then you're probably like me and find that every post seems to be for the outer hood and nothing for the inner 😔. Fingers crossed someone will come up with an answer.🙂

Those cords in your last picture, run diagonally inside a fabric channel, inside the layers of the roof. They go from the rollover hoops forward to the front of the roof and seem to keep a bit of tension in the fabric. The only posts I’ve ever seen about repairing them involved taking the fabric off the metal frame or unpeeling the roof fabric from the front part of the frame. I decided a while ago to just ignore them.

Edited by BBB

Next time we get a chance to be side by side let’s have a comparison.  I have found bits of random perished elastic and am coming up to do the standard “in the channel” fix but would be good to compare the other bits.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BBB said:

Those cords in your last picture, run diagonally inside a fabric channel, inside the layers of the roof. They go from the rollover hoops forward to the front of the roof and seem to keep a bit of tension in the fabric. The only posts I’ve ever seen about repairing them involved taking the fabric off the metal frame or unpeeling the roof fabric from the front part of the frame. I decided a while ago to just ignore them.

Thanks for the info. As you say they appear to go to the front of the roof but I've not been able to so far see exactly how they terminate on whatever up there. I'd have thought it may be possible to thread a new tensioner cord in using some wire? As I mentioned I created a loop in order to effectively shorten the cord and put a few stitches in to hold it and my inner lining now appears to seat ok, but I was after a more permanent fix if poss.  So if anyone knows that elusive part #??

14 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Next time we get a chance to be side by side let’s have a comparison.  I have found bits of random perished elastic and am coming up to do the standard “in the channel” fix but would be good to compare the other bits.  

Cheers for the offer Paul. It'd be nice to find where they are supposed to fix to. Doesn't seem to be a problem as is but would obviously like to sort. Must be there for some reason??

Just now, Gramps said:

Cheers for the offer Paul. It'd be nice to find where they are supposed to fix to. Doesn't seem to be a problem as is but would obviously like to sort. Must be there for some reason??

I imagine everything is there for a reason.  Our cats are similar ages so a comparison is likely to tell us both something. 

• Like 1

as far as i saw from my initial looks was its just the fabric strap that has gone slack/snapped. I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing with regards to headliner, like the pic below?

43yYzXw.jpeg

Just had another look at mine. There is slack in the cord (the one with your screw nearly out) and I too can't see where the elastics secure on the other end it disappears down past the seat belt somewhere. The back one is completely snapped where the front ones appear stretched.

The elastic goes through a hook/ loop and returns on its-self under the Seat belt cover towards the rear. This then pulls the side headliner down and taught.  I repaired mine a few months back and they sit much better than they did. I’ll grab a few photos over the weekend, haven’t got the pics I took on my phone anymore. As per the pic directly above. 

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get this problem & have spent the last few years reaching over when closing the roof to make sure the headlining sits right.

Have tried to get a stapler in there to try & staple the elastic a bit shorter, but that didn’t work so looking forward to seeing other solutions.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:57 AM, sdh2903 said:

as far as i saw from my initial looks was its just the fabric strap that has gone slack/snapped. I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing with regards to headliner, like the pic below?

43yYzXw.jpeg

Sorry for my tardy reply, I needed to double check on mine as your pic shows some elastic which I hadn't noticed on mine, but indeed we are. My inner lining was sitting a bit better than yours hence I hadn't seen that section of elastic seen in your pic. On mine that section of elastic still seems good and hence probably doing the job it is supposed to do which would appear to be to pull the lining down where you can see yours has ridden up slightly. Has that section of elastic on yours given up the ghost/lost it's elasticity maybe? The corded section I showed in my pic appears to pull the lining back within the trim once in the closed postion. Still baffled where my other bits of snapped elastic are supposed to go though.

On 4/18/2024 at 1:16 PM, sdh2903 said:

Just had another look at mine. There is slack in the cord (the one with your screw nearly out) and I too can't see where the elastics secure on the other end it disappears down past the seat belt somewhere. The back one is completely snapped where the front ones appear stretched.

So sounds like mine that the corded section has lost it's elasticity, your rear one has snapped like mine, and the bit shown in your pic has lost it's elasticity as well, where that bit appears to be ok on mine so far, daresay that's reaching the end of it's life as well.

19 hours ago, Drrncour said:

The elastic goes through a hook/ loop and returns on its-self under the Seat belt cover towards the rear. This then pulls the side headliner down and taught.  I repaired mine a few months back and they sit much better than they did. I’ll grab a few photos over the weekend, haven’t got the pics I took on my phone anymore. As per the pic directly above. 

This is referring to the bit of elastic in sdh2903's pic I presume, and not the one at the rear/bottom of the roof shown in my pics that have "snapped"? Be good to see your pics when you get a chance as I daresay mine will need doing before long. 👍 

On 4/18/2024 at 9:57 AM, sdh2903 said:

43yYzXw.jpeg

To Fix this specific Issue I did the following. This worked for me, I’m ok at DIY so can’t take any responsibility for anyone else. It cost me no more then £10 and a few hours.  I don’t have a step by step guide so below is from memory and pics after the work was done. But I Replaced the elastic with 12mm elastic (Bought from EBay) and a length of Elastic cord. Yes inside the trim needs a clean 😂

The elastic attached to the headliner is doubled up and goes through a hoop behind the seatbelt trim. With roof closed I cut off one bit of the old elastic and temp stitched on the new elastic. Then pulled the old piece through. It will then pull the new elastic though the hoop deep down. Hoop is Pretty hard to get too so don’t pull out the old elastic without attaching the new bit to it. Once the new bit was pulled though I cut off the other old piece from the headliner. I then stitched the new elastic to the headliner. I did this with the roof open to ensure I stitched with good tension. Fig 1.
Then once closed the elastic pulls the headline down. 

Seat

Pic of the hoop the elastic goes through and back on its self. Fig 2. 

Seat

The elastic cord (Fig 4) I did the Similar, undid screw cut off cord. Stitched on the new piece and pulled it through the headliner and then reattached screw/ Washer to new bit. This pulls the headliner forward into the recess.

Seat

Fig 3 once done. 

Seat

Only had to remove the Cover under the seat belt each side (Pops out) to do this. 
Needed: 

Strong Needle

Strong Thread 

Elastic Cord 

12mm Elastic 

Edited by Drrncour
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drrncour said:

To Fix this specific Issue I did the following. This worked for me, I’m ok at DIY so can’t take any responsibility for anyone else. It cost me no more then £10 and a few hours.  I don’t have a step by step guide so below is from memory and pics after the work was done. But I Replaced the elastic with 12mm elastic (Bought from EBay) and a length of Elastic cord. Yes inside the trim needs a clean 😂

The elastic attached to the headliner is doubled up and goes through a hoop behind the seatbelt trim. With roof closed I cut off one bit of the old elastic and temp stitched on the new elastic. Then pulled the old piece through. It will then pull the new elastic though the hoop deep down. Hoop is Pretty hard to get too so don’t pull out the old elastic without attaching the new bit to it. Once the new bit was pulled though I cut off the other old piece from the headliner. I then stitched the new elastic to the headliner. I did this with the roof open to ensure I stitched with good tension. Fig 1.
Then once closed the elastic pulls the headline down. 

Seat

Pic of the hoop the elastic goes through and back on its self. Fig 2. 

Seat

The elastic cord (Fig 4) I did the Similar, undid screw cut off cord. Stitched on the new piece and pulled it through the headliner and then reattached screw/ Washer to new bit. This pulls the headliner forward into the recess.

Seat

Fig 3 once done. 

Seat

Only had to remove the Cover under the seat belt each side (Pops out) to do this. 
Needed: 

Strong Needle

Strong Thread 

Elastic Cord 

12mm Elastic 

Cheers @Drrncour. Appreciate your effort in providing the write up and pics. My elastic sections at that point are ok at the mo but I daresay will be breaking down soon. The elastic cord bit I do have trouble with. With the help of @Paul P it seems that elasticated tension cord is around the £70-£80 mark so your fix is a darn (get it) bit cheaper. The stitch I put in mine I didn't do a proper job and it soon came apart. I've had it off again today and done a better job for now but will likely replace the length of elastic cord like you've done. I found it just has a loop at the top that simply hooks over a "pin". The section on mine that had lost it's elasticity was all at the bottom part, you can see in the pic how the section I stitched before the washer/fixing is thin then fattens up on the good section after the stitch. Daresay the other side will need doing before long as well. Looks like time to order some 3mm elastic cord ready for the job. 
However, even after visiting Paul yesterday we are still none the wiser where those perished rubber sections slightly futher back on the bottom of the liner are supposed to connect to. Sadly Paul had even less elastic left on his than I had on mine  , however, there is a non-elasticated tag attached to the lining that the elastic was attached to and you'd have to assume that is "pointing" in the direction of where the elastic would attach  (wouldn't make sense for it to turn through "x" degrees and twist the elastic) in which case it lines up directly with the bolt in the pic, but I still don't see how it would've attached to it. I did however find a pick of a used top on Ebay that shows the elastic attached and the elastic does have a large hole that may well have been where it was mounted to the bolt, may have to undo that bolt slightly and see if there are any remnants of elastic on it.   

Top mounting pin

IMG_5705

Stitched section

IMG_5717

Top loop

IMG_5715

Cord guide

IMG_5714

Elastic direction to fixing point

IMG_5709

Used roof

Head liner 5

Rob.  That last picture.  If you refer to the docs I sent (especially that bit from the inner liner replacement ). I think the strap that looks like it was on a bolt was actually originally a loop and goes  onto the top (hooked part ) of the metal bracket still attached to the other strap.  

That metal bracket goes over a bolt. (It’s key hole shaped)  bet someone previously had rhe strap break and then fixed by putting it on the bolt that the metal bracket sits on.  

I will post the picture of the diagram I am talking about a bit later   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

Rob.  That last picture.  If you refer to the docs I sent (especially that bit from the inner liner replacement ). I think the strap that looks like it was on a bolt was actually originally a loop and goes  onto the top (hooked part ) of the metal bracket still attached to the other strap.  

That metal bracket goes over a bolt. (It’s key hole shaped)  bet someone previously had rhe strap break and then fixed by putting it on the bolt that the metal bracket sits on.  

I will post the picture of the diagram I am talking about a bit later   

I had a double check and the elastic loop that hooks onto the main part in my pic is actually coming from the sort of apron bit which we re-attached yesterday, the bit with the plastic drain channel that you have to clip back in place lastly that the velcro strao is on. I've attached a pic below which shows the elasticated loop at it's extreme right, same for the other side obviously. If I get hold of my remaining bit of elastic that's attached to the strap and stretch it in the direction of where the main elasticated bit is then it takes a very bad "path" and pulls the liner in the wrong direction. Still checking further. 

Screenshot 2024-04-21 150357

This is awesome as I was wondering about the inner / thinner elastic and the cord as mine tore off (the right / US passenger side).  At least my roof closes properly so didn't worry too much but may need to fix.

Picture1.jpg

And a Spurs supporter to boot?? 👍👍 There's more elastic involved with these roofs than there is in my wife's knicker draw! And that's a lot!! 🙄 😅