DAB aerial suggestions

Langers

Morning

Does anyone have a solution for a non-intrusive DAB aerial that doesn't look awful?

I'm fitting a Continental DAB head unit and options are the stick-on tape style (looks tacky) and that's about it. Apparently as the FM aerial is amplified, so it is not possible to split and share that.

Suggestions very welcome!

Thanks

Langers

I fitted this one from Halfords:

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/autoleads-magnetic-dab-antenna-575883.html

It can hide neatly befind the A-pillar, just remover the visor and plastic trim, install the antenna with velcro with an adhesive back stuck the A-pillar metal, then re-install the plastic trim.

I didn't do this with mine, but you might consider earthing your antenna to the A-pillar metal. 

Push the antenna cable through the gap between the dashboard and the A-pillar and tidy up the extra cable lengh inside the dashboard underneath the steering wheel.

What head unit are you getting? 

Thanks Ol' Shatterhand, I might give that a go.

Head unit is a Continental CDD7418UB-OR Bluetooth Stereo DAB Radio CD Player USB. Was lucky to pick one up as now discontinued.

Pics below:

Conti.jpg

Conti2.jpg

When folks have the Porsche PCCM+ install on 9x6 - doesn't that come with replacement amplifier or bypass wiring for DAB aerial ? That might be more plug and play if its a separate part.

I had the ugly Kenwood stick on front screen on Molly.

Alice as built into windscreen.

If I needed to again I would go with an antenna or shark fin on the boot lid.  I've yet to see anything less intrusive for an aftermarket solution.

1 hour ago, Langers said:

Thanks Ol' Shatterhand, I might give that a go.

Head unit is a Continental CDD7418UB-OR Bluetooth Stereo DAB Radio CD Player USB. Was lucky to pick one up as now discontinued.

Pics below:

Conti.jpg

Conti2.jpg

I have the exact same head unit. I never used the stick-on antenna that came with it (it's still in the box, four years on).

I also wonder what the PCCM Classic solution is for the DAB aerial. 

Whilst the stick on option might be ugly, it works well and after 5 years I've pretty much forgotten it is there on the lop of the screen on passenger side.

Thanks all. I can't readily see what the PCCM+ solution is. Strikes me that replacing the aerial amplfier and running through the existing aerial makes sense, but the Google cannot seem to pinpoint that anywhere.

6 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/autoleads-magnetic-dab-antenna-575883.html

It can hide neatly befind the A-pillar, just remover the visor and plastic trim, install the antenna with velcro with an adhesive back stuck the A-pillar metal, then re-install the plastic trim.

I didn't do this with mine, but you might consider earthing your antenna to the A-pillar metal. 

Push the antenna cable through the gap between the dashboard and the A-pillar and tidy up the extra cable lengh inside the dashboard underneath the steering wheel.

I think I am going to go for this option. Presumably there is plenty of space inside the trim to fit the magnetic aerial? Does the magnetic base connect to the body somehow? I'm tempted to get one of these as looks like a good quality aerial - do you think this should fit okay?

Magnetic mount DAB+ car aerial antenna whip (With 2db gain) - 70-9164403.80 Magnetic antenna (DAB+)

6 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

That's a left field solution.  Not sure it is how the manufacturer designed it to work, bit if it does, good lateral thinking.

ba6UtHq.jpeg

You'll need secure it so it doesn't rattle. I used adhesive velcro:

6JWN0pc.jpeg

In the pic below, I'm looking down to the base of the A-pillar through the windscreen:

cp56skC.jpeg

After pushing the cable through the gap between the A-pillar and the dashboard, there was plenty of slack to hide behind the dash:

Wo5pCKu.jpeg

I forget if it was an SMB or an SMA connection and I notice that the one you have found Langers is not wuite the same as mine, but the dimensions look similar. 

Nice 550 anniversary btw. If it's LHD, do you have the all-red rear lights? I was under the impression all RHD 550s got the standard 986.2 lights. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Ol' Shatterhand said:

ba6UtHq.jpeg

You'll need secure it so it doesn't rattle. I used adhesive velcro:

6JWN0pc.jpeg

In the pic below, I'm looking down to the base of the A-pillar through the windscreen:

cp56skC.jpeg

After pushing the cable through the gap between the A-pillar and the dashboard, there was plenty of slack to hide behind the dash:

Wo5pCKu.jpeg

I forget if it was an SMB or an SMA connection and I notice that the one you have found Langers is not wuite the same as mine, but the dimensions look similar. 

Nice 550 anniversary btw. If it's LHD, do you have the all-red rear lights? I was under the impression all RHD 550s got the standard 986.2 lights. 

This is extremely useful, thanks so much. You may be on to something here as I haven’t seen any other invisible systems that seem to work.

The 550 is a very recent acquisition and I absolutely love it. It’s going in for a fair bit of work next month, including the head unit swap. My mechanic fits PCCM+s all the time so will find out what his usual solution is. I reckon he’ll love your suggestion and O’S you should be getting commission on future such installations.

Continental 7418 is now discontinued but I found what appears to be the last place selling them in Europe. Arrived yesterday, it looks perfect and quality seems high. Actually seems a better match than the Becker it replaces. I also have the Porsche stickers to finish this off:

image.jpeg.0ee21d45af723e70b5f3e6b3a68ab5e5.jpeg

As for my rear lights, yes they are stock S clusters.