Favour from someone that has Standard PSE....

Dubdubz

...and could measure the pipe outer diameter on the section that the valve sits in please? Appreciate its a curved pipe but looking to see if as I suspect its a standard size...

or if you happen to be a pub quiz genius and know this info ? that would be great

thanks in advance

So that might be 2 inch, can’t believe the valves are made exclusively for Porsche but I guess that’s possible

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

So that might be 2 inch, can’t believe the valves are made exclusively for Porsche but I guess that’s possible

54mm = 21.27ins according to my vernier that i measured the exhaust with.

What are you trying to do?

The impossible I fear, thinking I could get a duff PSE with stuck valves and weld in new ones…

no one seems to have done it so it’s likely too hard… 

Yes mine are 55mm  (maybe some small amount of corrosion).  I’ve seen people replace the actuators which seem to be available at various random prices, I’ve never seen anyone cut out the actual value and replace!.

If you’re not too fussed on the switching option you could find a non PSE exhaust and take it to Hayward and Scott and get them to do there bypass mod. It’s about £450, sounds awesome but more factory PSE sound that the top gear that I’m guessing you’re trying to change. There was a cheap pair of non PSE back boxes for sale on here last week.

I think this maybe a good option as PSE is quite tame in non sports mode but when you switched the sports button you would get the pops and bangs😎

There is a YouTube video of the exhaust mod and sound if search it.

6 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

If you’re not too fussed on the switching option you could find a non PSE exhaust and take it to Hayward and Scott and get them to do there bypass mod. It’s about £450, sounds awesome but more factory PSE sound that the top gear that I’m guessing you’re trying to change. There was a cheap pair of non PSE back boxes for sale on here last week.

I think this maybe a good option as PSE is quite tame in non sports mode but when you switched the sports button you would get the pops and bangs😎

There is a YouTube video of the exhaust mod and sound if search it.

so whilst its not switchable it would be almost as good? I'll look up the video...thx

I live in a fairly quiet village and there has been mutterings I am told ... 🙂 which is fair enough as not everyone wants to hear the pops and bangs - I maybe too hung up on the going back to 'stock' - whatever I have is just a tad on the hooligan side when in sport - I can of course do an extra button press and switch off the binoculars.... whilst still being in sport mode

no mad rush - I just had a mad thought that I could fix an old PSE

If its just the valves that are stuck, and the exhaust is off the car, surely they just need a decent soaking in 'something' to dissolve the carbon that jams them up?

Cant see them rusting that much TBH, but no clue TBH. On another note, I's deffo not try and free it off by the actuator tab as they seem a bit weak. I think i would get some mole grips on the shaft that pops out of the exhaust pipe and rotate that.

Another approach might be to cut a porthole in the exhaust pipe to get direct access to the flap from the inside and then weld it up afterwards.

https://911uk.com/threads/porsche-sports-exhaust-fault-pse-troubleshooting-fix.103525/

Edited by andygo

It's corrosion - mix of external environment and the water produced from cold starts, it is not designed for the typical Porsche owner who takes it out of the garage to wash it before tucking it away again.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

Another approach might be to cut a porthole in the exhaust pipe to get direct access to the flap from the inside and then weld it up afterwards.

I like this idea actually and to expand it you could make a jig - cut the pipe completely quite close and then reweld  - it wont be a traditional bearing on the valve shaft , so I suspect it could be freed off if you could get to it....

If it helps I repaired a seized PSE I bought as Porsche had no stock. The exhaust was seized on both sides as it shows in your photo. One side broke off when attempting it to free it but I had a local mechanic weld it back on. 

It's been on less than a week and I am thinking of running it open as it's not too loud which is a surprise. 

Edited by toby_b
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Patt said:

especially when its £150 more than Carnewal !

Sort of, but in practice don't you need to pay postage/installation or drive there including a Chunnel ticket and perhaps overnight? That's why I think of it as 500 but in practice 1000...

there is an exchange service available.  never really looked into as I had intended to drive over and make a weekend of it.

Ended up with a TopGear system.  If it goes faulty again, I'll be taking the Carnewal route as I'm sick of the aggravation.